Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Since it's a lot of pics of this "one letter" I found on Facebook, I'll just post here in thumbnail mode for yall to see

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

racism and the wrong treatment of minorities all over the world is a problem. i never thought of it as anything else but that. what im confused by is how, the american government's lack of actions toward ending the chaos, if we as outsiders think its an american problem then we are seen as racists too.should i just think of it like its one whole package: if i care about the issue i should care about america too? im not sure im wording it right but thats the idea.

pls bear with me. sorry if i offended any of you. to the first guy i quoted apologies, and sfc415 sfc415 i will apologize to you specifically for offending you or misguiding your trust

post reminded me that i'm old, washed and that my vision is betraying me.

nonetheless, it's appreciated. idk how many times i've gotten into heated conversations with my dad or uncle about the importance of improving the conditions of Black neighborhoods in East Oakland. they hold onto a lot of that "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" mentality, largely due to the fact that they immigrated here in their late 20s and don't have an understanding of how America's exploited, subjugated and oppressed Black folks for centuries.

any of you ever go to family functions, and beforehand say to yourself, "maaan i really hope _________ doesn't say nothing stupid. i'm just trynna eat this fried rice and chow mein and not have to get into with them." every thankstaking, christmas, lunar new year, summer bbq...i gotta sharpen my tongue in preparation :lol:

nonetheless, it's appreciated. idk how many times i've gotten into heated conversations with my dad or uncle about the importance of improving the conditions of Black neighborhoods in East Oakland. they hold onto a lot of that "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" mentality, largely due to the fact that they immigrated here in their late 20s and don't have an understanding of how America's exploited, subjugated and oppressed Black folks for centuries.

any of you ever go to family functions, and beforehand say to yourself, "maaan i really hope _________ doesn't say nothing stupid. i'm just trynna eat this fried rice and chow mein and not have to get into with them." every thankstaking, christmas, lunar new year, summer bbq...i gotta sharpen my tongue in preparation :lol:

My mom and my younger cousins are cool these days, but I still stop myself from lecturing my older relatives. I tell myself "Eh he/she's gonna die in 5-10 years anyway, what's the point of trying" :lol:

Older Asians don't give a eff. You tell them they're racist and they say they're not and what they say is facts.

My mom and my younger cousins are cool these days, but I still stop myself from lecturing my older relatives. I tell myself "Eh he/she's gonna die in 5-10 years anyway, what's the point of trying" :lol:

if my mom is convinced that 2+2=5, she'll argue with a calculator that tells her otherwise.

OGs are stubborn as hell.

Sadly, I am the same.........I give up on the gramps/grannies (Lolos/Lolas) when it comes to keeping them racial informed against their false-bias upbringing.

As for my parents and aunties & uncles, I don't push the issue.......BUT I make the appropriate call out corrections when I need to.

If they hear some random racist **** from one of their "racist Karen" tita friends or "arrogant Bobby" tito drinking buddies, I'm all up in there dropping that knowledge and correcting them.

My moms is also cool with it, being a nurse for like 25+ years AND also believing we need Universal Health Care (and thinks Trump is an orange POS). RIP to my pops this past October, but even he was cool with it too DESPITE still having a stubborn hardheadness about things too.

Most of the time with the titos and titas that I have a conversation with, they just sit their with this "I'm impressed look" on their faces b/c I'm flaunting "my English" at them :lol:

if my mom is convinced that 2+2=5, she'll argue with a calculator that tells her otherwise.

OGs are stubborn as hell.

You can drop all the logic and facts on the world on them...even then, they'll be like "I might be wrong, but it's still a fact to me/my opinion, and nothing is going to change it" :stoneface:

the thing is, I have never heard my parents say any racists remarks. And I’m Korean and my dad is a mechanic who’s shop is in the hood.

keep in mind, my dads shop has been robbed multiple times at night. Someone once stole their car back after he repaired it and didn’t get paid (the guy had a second pair of keys), and once someone paid him $300 of fake money (he fell for it and don’t realize until they drove off). Once some robbers killed my dads guard dog too.

does my dad cuss at them and call people pieces of ****, etc? Absolutely. But never have I heard him say a racist word or remark.

and this is coming from someone who has beef with their own dad.

so when I hear other Asians always talk about how racist their parents are, I could never relate. I grew up in a county where 99.9% of the population is black. There used to be a bigger Asian population, but they all moved to richer counties while my family stayed here.

don’t get it twisted, I grew up getting made fun of and had mad racist **** thrown at me. Esp at school. Teachers didn’t give a **** either. I was just a frail Asian kid. It wasn’t until college when I glow’d up.

I'm not gonna excuse them for their bias/racism/lack of empathy/lack of logic lol but our parents grew up under their parents in an Asian country with archaic laws and archaic traditions. All this stuff is #cultural and it's up to us first generation Asian-Americans to be better than the older generations are/were, here in America.

Just want to say there are some really thoughtful people on this thread. My friend got me to join the Asian Hustle Network (AHN) group on FB and most of what they post is cringey AF. Sorry to say I was expecting the same here, but NTers are truly a different breed.

Just want to say there are some really thoughtful people on this thread. My friend got me to join the Asian Hustle Network (AHN) group on FB and most of what they post is cringey AF. Sorry to say I was expecting the same here, but NTers are truly a different breed.

That group sounds like a recruiting place for a MLM pyramid scheme based on the description I read about that group, and I already had to put one of my friends in-check when they pulled that stunt on me a few years ago (we are still friends to this day, and they haven't flirted with any more pyramid schemes since then)

Asian parents are definitely racist.

Not all of them. The ones who live over here are more tolerant, but not everybody.

My aunt is really really bad. My cousin had a black boyfriend. Smart, nice guy. Pre-med. None of that mattered. She kept c-blocking the relationship left and right and she eventually made it so the bf didn't wanna stick around. I didn't blame the guy.

My cousin from my mom's side who lives in London had a black girlfriend...his cousins from his dad's side (who live in the philippines) - unrelated to me - all blocked him on fb because of it.

Sounds like an AIM chatroom one of my friends would've made back in 2003. If it's run by adults, guarantee there's a bunch of 5th year community college students in that group whose main priority in life is hitting up EDC and posting it on IG 20 times a year with "take me back #tbt"

Back
Top Bottom