Asian Culture Discussion Thread

NT Asian Thread i have a secret that I've kept from you...

...I have a medical degree. I became what my parents wanted. I have shamed you all :frown:
As long as you're happy. And making tons of money, amirite?

My dad encouraged me to get a degree in something that I found interest in and that I can get a good job/career. My mom on the other hand was typical in wanting me to jump into the medical field as a nurse, due to the high demand. Nah, man.

But I'll admit, I have been more and more interested in going back to school towards a path of a Pediatrician. But I may just go the master's route and teach History.

frink85 frink85 I kid I kid, jokes. I know how it was growing up, "be a nurse or get into engineering" lol

lol yeah I remember we were joking in this thread awhile back about growing up and our parents getting on us about being doctors/lawyers/etc and I just kept my mouth shut :lol:

As long as you're happy. And making tons of money, amirite?

My dad encouraged me to get a degree in something that I found interest in and that I can get a good job/career. My mom on the other hand was typical in wanting me to jump into the medical field as a nurse, due to the high demand. Nah, man.

But I'll admit, I have been more and more interested in going back to school towards a path of a Pediatrician. But I may just go the master's route and teach History.

for sure. not making the money yet, still got exams to tackle. then the prescription pad will come :nerd: :lol:

my mom is an RN (of course she is) and she sorta got me into it early but my real inspiration was Douglas Howser, MD. And I did enjoy the classes and do enjoy the medical sciences.

follow your heart bruh, gotta be able to look back 10/15+ years in with no regrets.

I graduated from a top 20 school in the world but my grades were bad, does that make me a "model minority?"

2fce631a3671cbde2adb907a1a425507.jpg

I remember getting an "A-" and still getting punished lol.

After that I just started cheating on everything and rebelling againtst the system.

2001, When I was in HS, my AP science professor would brag about 100% of her students passing the College AP test.

Little did she know the Nike Air Jordan Retro XI Concord were about to drop on the same Wednesday as the AP test.

Guess what I did?

Yup, skip the test, get the Concords.

She was so mad, especially when I told her why I missed the test.

I was such a legend at school for doing that lol.

Just a heads up, and I am certain that many of you already know this, but the model minority trope was also applied to white Jews from europe as well. They were taught the same imagery of hard work, excelling, being of good character, then bowing to white supremacy.

Methodical Management Methodical Management

Please take my comments as constructive feedback for this site.

Please note that I am in no way shape or form trying to create any type of race wars between anyone on this sneakerboard. HOWEVER….

Over the last year, the general section has been bombarded with racial treads related “African Americans” and black awareness, especially from a selected group of individuals on here. Now, do I think there is an issue with rights with black lives and there needs to be more awareness to this topic? 100%. No if, ands, and buts. But there doesn’t need to be 1000 different threads dedicated to this. We can have open discussions about black culture in the “Black Culture” thread as most of us have been discussing about Asians in this thread. Sure, an incident like George Floyd definitely deserves its own thread because of how traumatic it was, not just for black people, but minorities versus police. But to allow a thread such as, “not going into Sushi spots in certain neighborhoods” when we have a black culture thread already in general where we can openly discuss those type of things, is totally unnecessary.

Let me know Methodical Management Methodical Management if my observation is incorrect on opening up multiple threads on racial topics. If so, then I think we should start a few on elderly Asians being attacked, or how Asians were targeted during the start of the pandemic, or how Trump used “China Virus” consistently in his press conferences. Otherwise, I think all those random racial topics need to be locked and consolidated so the thread on "Everything about race" can be openly discussed so we can overcome racism as a collective group.

I just want to make sure we’re all aligned and clear.
As a matter of general policy, we don't allow multiple threads on the same topic - but that shouldn't be taken to mean that the creation of a general thread prohibits the creation of threads concerning any and all related topics.

For example: there's an Air Jordan I high thread in the Jordan forum and a Travis Scott collaboration thread. It's not against the rules to post about the Travis Scott I's in either of those threads OR create a separate thread to discuss the Cactus Jack AJ 1. What we don't want is TWO threads about the Cactus Jack 1. We'll accept the first such thread and lock subsequent threads. What happens if someone decided to just start an "official current events thread?" There's nothing inherently wrong with specificity.

Say a White person, resentful of the Black and Asian culture threads, starts a "Human Culture thread." Should this one be locked? If someone creates an "official all lives matter thread," are you not allowed to create a separate thread to discuss spike in anti-Asian hate crimes?

Again, I think a thread addressing Anti-Asian hate crimes is both warranted and necessary. It's not necessary to confine the discussion of those incidents to this thread (or the COVID-19 thread for COVID-related racism).

If someone doesn't think that the murders of Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd deserve separate threads, the remedy is to avoid those threads - not to lobby the staff to constrict the breadth of available topics according to their personal preferences.

As shorthand, think about what hand2handking used to do, which necessitated his banishment. If similar tactics and excuses are being leveraged to denigrate Black people, NO ONE should be okay with that, much less defending or rationalizing it.

Methodical Management Methodical Management

Please take my comments as constructive feedback for this site.

Please note that I am in no way shape or form trying to create any type of race wars between anyone on this sneakerboard. HOWEVER….

Over the last year, the general section has been bombarded with racial treads related “African Americans” and black awareness, especially from a selected group of individuals on here. Now, do I think there is an issue with rights with black lives and there needs to be more awareness to this topic? 100%. No if, ands, and buts. But there doesn’t need to be 1000 different threads dedicated to this. We can have open discussions about black culture in the “Black Culture” thread as most of us have been discussing about Asians in this thread. Sure, an incident like George Floyd definitely deserves its own thread because of how traumatic it was, not just for black people, but minorities versus police. But to allow a thread such as, “not going into Sushi spots in certain neighborhoods” when we have a black culture thread already in general where we can openly discuss those type of things, is totally unnecessary.

Let me know Methodical Management Methodical Management if my observation is incorrect on opening up multiple threads on racial topics. If so, then I think we should start a few on elderly Asians being attacked, or how Asians were targeted during the start of the pandemic, or how Trump used “China Virus” consistently in his press conferences. Otherwise, I think all those random racial topics need to be locked and consolidated so the thread on "Everything about race" can be openly discussed so we can overcome racism as a collective group.

I just want to make sure we’re all aligned and clear.
I love when people show their true colors . I love this.

Thanks for posting that. I appreciate the show of solidarity.

I’d like it to stop. I’m not the racist jerk that’s blaming any race of people for a spike in crimes against Elderly Asians.

Let’s be honest though- there’s no desire for solidarity on your end (your meaning you, not Asians as a monolith), so why would you expect for there to be on my end, even though there is for all you know?

Your sarcastic response shows me where you stand on this and it’s shameful.

If you weren’t being sarcastic then excuse me for reading the room and including you with the hatefulness in here.

I’d like it to stop. I’m not the racist jerk that’s blaming any race of people for a spike in crimes against Elderly Asians.

Let’s be honest though- there’s no desire for solidarity on your end (your meaning you, not Asians as a monolith), so why would you expect for there to be on my end, even though there is for all you know?

Your sarcastic response shows me where you stand on this and it’s shameful.

If you weren’t being sarcastic then excuse me for reading the room and including you with the hatefulness in here.

what the hell are you on about?

your accusations are honestly way off base. i wish there was less hate from you.

Back
Top Bottom