Asian Culture Discussion Thread

NOT affliated.

really sad and infuriating event. the perpetrator should be charged to the maximum extent possible.. but ****ing A, it seems like folks were itching to see an asian person attack a black person just so they could say, “see this is why i don’t care about ‘stop asian hate’”

people act like one person’s actions are reflective of an entire community.

really sad and infuriating event. the perpetrator should be charged to the maximum extent possible.. but ****ing A, it seems like folks were itching to see an asian person attack a black person just so they could say, “see this is why i don’t care about ‘stop asian hate’”

:emoji_100:

Every single case of Hate Crime is abhorrent.
Period. It’s not an Olympic Contest.
“What about” arguments are pointless and stupid.

Here is the latest Justice Department report statistics.
Numbers speak for themselves. Events happened.
Think about the unreported instances.
San Francisco and New York City numbers are even more stunning.
Look them up.

https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv18.pdf

12E1A1E3-44F8-4E02-9C78-CA5B4C1B030F.png

"EXCLUSIVE: In what will be her feature film acting debut, Japanese-British pop superstar Rina Sawayama is set to star alongside Keanu Reeves in Lionsgate’s John Wick: Chapter 4. They are keeping her role under wraps, and the film is being directed by Chad Stahelski from script by Shay Hatten and Michael Finch.

“I’m so glad to have Rina on board to make her feature film debut in John Wick: Chapter 4,” Stahelski said. “She’s an incredible talent who’ll bring so much to the film.”"

Couple things A lot of things-

Why is there a “BUT” regarding any of this?

That guy shot A SIX YEAR OLD CHILD FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!

It sucks that that business appears to be the victim of mistaken identity or whatever but this is frivolous, insignificant details . A 6 year old was shot and you are taking time to cape for the restaurant that’s getting blow back for having hired the perpetrator a while ago? THE KID WAS SHOT FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!! You don’t shoot children!!!! How is that not the main/only concern???? You didn’t even say anything about that clown getting out on $10k bond for attempted murder of a minor. Where is your concern really at with this?

I would like to know precisely how “it seems like folks were itching….” as you so opaquely stated. Using Instagram comments as proof that this is the prevailing sentiment is extremely flawed and super bogus FYI. People act like Instagram comments are reflective of an entire community!

Again if you’re basing this on IG that’s just really lazy and low effort and seems like you may have just been eager for an opportunity to say “see! They just wanted an Asian person to commit violence against a black person so they could stand against stopping Asian Hate!” as if Asians don’t commit violence against Black people or people in general already.

The focus needs to remain on a CHILD being shot and literally nothing else. That restaurant literally does not matter at all when we’re talking about a child nearly losing his life. Hopefully they can rehabilitate their reputation for having bad hiring practices, but it just seems like the kid became an afterthought in your post.

Like how “sad and infuriating” to you is it really if the bigger concern to you appears to be the fact that this restaurant may lose all of their business?

Last thing-

Nobody has to wait for an Asian person to attack a Black person to decide that they should be against stopping hate directed towards Asian people. The shoe dropped on that a long, long time ago. Google Latasha Harlins [Don't make the mistake of taking my Latasha Harlins reference as any kind of endorsement of anybody or anything that stands in opposition to stopping hate directed towards Asians. I brought it up to highlight that your comment about Black people needing an excuse was incredibly silly and poorly thought out]

Last edited:
Couple things A lot of things-

Why is there a “BUT” regarding any of this?

That guy shot A SIX YEAR OLD CHILD FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!

It sucks that that business appears to be the victim of mistaken identity or whatever but this is frivolous, insignificant details . A 6 year old was shot and you are taking time to cape for the restaurant that’s getting blow back for having hired the perpetrator a while ago? THE KID WAS SHOT FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!! You don’t shoot children!!!! How is that not the main/only concern???? You didn’t even say anything about that clown getting out on $10k bond for attempted murder of a minor. Where is your concern really at with this?

I would like to know precisely how “it seems like folks were itching….” as you so opaquely stated. Using Instagram comments as proof that this is the prevailing sentiment is extremely flawed and super bogus FYI. People act like Instagram comments are reflective of an entire community!

Again if you’re basing this on IG that’s just really lazy and low effort and seems like you may have just been eager for an opportunity to say “see! They just wanted an Asian person to commit violence against a black person so they could stand against stopping Asian Hate!” as if Asians don’t commit violence against Black people or people in general already.

The focus needs to remain on a CHILD being shot and literally nothing else. That restaurant literally does not matter at all when we’re talking about a child nearly losing his life. Hopefully they can rehabilitate their reputation for having bad hiring practices, but it just seems like the kid became an afterthought in your post.

Like how “sad and infuriating” to you is it really if the bigger concern to you appears to be the fact that this restaurant may lose all of their business?

Last thing-

Nobody has to wait for an Asian person to attack a Black person to decide that they should be against stopping hate directed towards Asian people. The shoe dropped on that a long, long time ago. Google Latasha Harlins [Don't make the mistake of taking my Latasha Harlins reference as any kind of endorsement of anybody or anything that stands in opposition to stopping hate directed towards Asians. I brought it up to highlight that your comment about Black people needing an excuse was incredibly silly and poorly thought out]

my intent is not to take it away from the maliciousness of the crime. if you perceive it as such, then so be it. but explain how i took IG comments and extrapolated that to reflect the sentiments and actions of an entire community? i said "folks" not "everybody from community x." if "folks" suddenly means "everybody" then i must be sorely mistaken.

and in what shape or form did i say that the reputation of a restaurant is more important than a life of a human? i may have quoted a post that referenced the restaurant suffering but where exactly did I say anything of what you are alluding to? stop taking your assumptions and projecting it as fact.

and your point for referencing the murder of Latasha Harlins is?? did you not see how her murder by Soon Da Ju was a catalyst for the physical attacks on korean and asian shop keepers in LA? Did Soon Da Ju deserve a far more severe punishment, yes. Did Latasha Harlins and her family receive any semblance of justice, no. But to your point, since the rise in anti-asian violence has gained visibility, I've seen people comment along the lines of "but an asian killed Latasha Harlins. why should I care about stop-asian hate?" like what?? you telling me that an 85 year old chinese woman deserves to get stabbed and brutally beaten in 2021 because a korean woman murdered a black child in 1991? ...**** is wrong with people?

I'm supposed to read these types of comments from hundreds, if not thousands, of people, specifically comments that completely disregard the lived experiences and trauma of a community that my family and i are a part of, and i should act like it's insignificant? like these people don't ****ing exist in the real world with their prejudices and their misinformation?

The focus needs to remain on a CHILD being shot and literally nothing else. That restaurant literally does not matter at all when we’re talking about a child nearly losing his life.

I agree with you; life is more important than physical property. However why was the restaurant brought up in the first place?? why did the IG user neweradetroit or T.I feel it was necessary to highlight the restaurant and "KEEP APPLYING PRESSURE" despite the fact they hadn't employed him since 2015? like bruh, what the **** does this restaurant gotta do with Ryan Nguyen and the 6 year old he shot?

Last edited:
my intent is not to take it away from the maliciousness of the crime. if you perceive it as such, then so be it. but explain how i took IG comments and extrapolated that to reflect the sentiments and actions of an entire community? i said "folks" not "everybody from community x." if "folks" suddenly means "everybody" then i must be sorely mistaken.

and in what shape or form did i say that the reputation of a restaurant is more important than a life of a human? i may have quoted a post that referenced the restaurant suffering but where exactly did I say anything of what you are alluding to? stop taking your assumptions and projecting it as fact.

and your point for referencing the murder of Latasha Harlins is?? did you not see how her murder by Soon Da Ju was a catalyst for the physical attacks on korean and asian shop keepers in LA? Did Soon Da Ju deserve a far more severe punishment, yes. Did Latasha Harlins and her family receive any semblance of justice, no. But to your point, since the rise in anti-asian violence has gained visibility, I've seen people comment along the lines of "but an asian killed Latasha Harlins. why should I care about stop-asian hate?" like what?? you telling me that an 85 year old chinese woman deserves to get stabbed and brutally beaten in 2021 because a korean woman murdered a black child in 1991? ...**** is wrong with people?

I'm supposed to read these types of comments from hundreds, if not thousands, of people, specifically comments that completely disregard the lived experiences and trauma of a community that my family and i are a part of, and i should act like it's insignificant? like these people don't ****ing exist in the real world with their prejudices and their misinformation?

I agree with you; life is more important than physical property. However why was the restaurant brought up in the first place?? why did the IG user neweradetroit or T.I feel it was necessary to highlight the restaurant and "KEEP APPLYING PRESSURE" despite the fact they hadn't employed him since 2015? like bruh, what the **** does this restaurant gotta do with Ryan Nguyen and the 6 year old he shot?

Yeah I guess dude.

It really sounded like you wanted to get off that silly take about people needing an excuse.

Rodney king was more of a flashpoint than Harlins but I guess I should have expected someone to twist the MURDER OF A CHILD into an incident about violence against Koreans…

She got killed over a bottle of orange juice. The video is actually readily available on the internet if there’s any doubts in your mind about anything.

But if you feel obligated to twist my words into “a 1991 incident justified an incident in 2021” then you’re just being obtuse at this point.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess dude.

It really sounded like you wanted to get off that silly take about people needing an excuse.

Rodney king was more of a flashpoint than Harlins but I guess I should have expected someone to twist the MURDER OF A CHILD into an incident about violence against Koreans…

She got killed over a bottle of orange juice. The video is actually readily available on the internet if there’s any doubts in your mind about anything.

But if you feel obligated to twist my words into “a 1991 incident justified an incident in 2021” then you’re just being obtuse at this point.

the nerve to say someone is attempting to twist your words and then call them obtuse. bruh what the ****, im the one who brought up a 1991 incident when you’re the one who mentioned Latasha Harlins initially? **** is wrong with your logic and comprehension?

you refuse to understand or acknowledge anything members in this thread have said or experienced and continue to try and gaslight folks. keep goin with it.

the nerve to say someone is attempting to twist your words and then call them obtuse. bruh what the ****, im the one who brought up a 1991 incident when you’re the one who mentioned Latasha Harlins initially? **** is wrong with your logic and comprehension?

you refuse to understand or acknowledge anything members in this thread have said or experienced and continue to try and gaslight folks. keep goin with it.

huh? Latasha Harlins was murdered in 1991 and I brought it up in the context of Black people not needing a violent act perpetrated by an Asian person to be against the movement (not that that is justification for opposing hatred towards anyone).

What is there to understand about the boy getting shot other than that justice has not been served?

My post was pointing out that you seemed to be more concerned with the restaurant than the actual shooting of a child.

it’s not gaslighting to be confused as to why the concern is more focused on this irrelevant restaurant than a boy being shot.

more importantly it seems to be lost on you that nobody needs an excuse to oppose a movement. Most will just up and decide that they’re against it and that’s that. I say that to say that you’re reaching.

huh? Latasha Harlins was murdered in 1991 and I brought it up in the context of Black people not needing a violent act perpetrated by an Asian person to be against the movement (not that that is justification for opposing hatred towards anyone).

What is there to understand about the boy getting shot other than that justice has not been served?

My post was pointing out that you seemed to be more concerned with the restaurant than the actual shooting of a child.

it’s not gaslighting to be confused as to why the concern is more focused on this irrelevant restaurant than a boy being shot.

more importantly it seems to be lost on you that nobody needs an excuse to oppose a movement. Most will just up and decide that they’re against it and that’s that. I say that to say that you’re reaching.

again your misguided perception lead you to believe that i cared more about the restaurant than the boy who was shot. maybe you should ask questions before going on long, unnecessary diatribes where you attempt to “correct” others. again, where did i say that the restaurant is more important? quote it, post it, restate it. otherwise you stay twisting my words to fit into your argument. you’re trying to argue a point that was never made.

reaching for what exactly? and what movement is being opposed exactly? you speak in conjecture and then project that frame of thinking on to me… miss me with that

again your misguided perception lead you to believe that i cared more about the restaurant than the boy who was shot. maybe you should ask questions before going on long, unnecessary diatribes where you attempt to “correct” others. again, where did i say that the restaurant is more important? quote it, post it, restate it. otherwise you stay twisting my words to fit into your argument. you’re trying to argue a point that was never made.

reaching for what exactly? and what movement is being opposed exactly? you speak in nothing but extremes and conjecture and then project that piss poor order of operations onto others.

Alright if you insist that you weren’t then fine.

I still think that your focus was misplaced, but if you really weren’t doing that then my apologies.

The restaurant is collateral damage in the shooting of an innocent minor and it’s just honestly too bad that they caught strays on this incident (excuse the bullet analogy but, that’s exactly what has transpired).

I said that you were reaching in reference to your laughably lazy assertion that people were waiting for an Asian to commit an act of senseless violence against a Black person, so that Black people could feel like they had justification to oppose stopping violence against Asians. That remains a reach, nothing can convince me otherwise.

To answer your other question, you implied with your words that the restaurant was of any significance in any of this. That’s nearly a non-story but the fact that you felt the need to add that people were waiting for Asians to commit an act of violence was absolutely ridiculous and had to be addressed.

Last edited:
To answer your other question, you implied with your words that the restaurant was of any significance in any of this.

where? what words? yes, i stated that people were itching to have an argument against "stop anti-asian hate" and it's blatantly obvious that that's how people feel. do i need to screen shot comments and people's IG posts stating such sentiments?

when people refute a point, they cite things that are actually written and/or spoken not what they assume the intent was. i have stated ad nauseam where i stand in reference to the restaurant and yet for some reason, you fail time and time again to comprehend it. the nerve to call someone lazy and laughable when you willfully refuse to understand what they're saying. idk what your point is but **** it, i got time for it today.

where? what words? yes, i stated that people were itching to have an argument against "stop anti-asian hate" and it's blatantly obvious that that's how people feel. do i need to screen shot comments and people's IG posts stating such sentiments?

when people refute a point, they cite things that are actually written and/or spoken not what they assume the intent was. i have stated ad nauseam where i stand in reference to the restaurant and yet for some reason, you fail time and time again to comprehend it. the nerve to call someone lazy and laughable when you willfully refuse to understand what they're saying. idk what your point is but **** it, i got time for it today.

I’ve honestly just never been into validating peoples opinions in the Instagram comment section. So when you’re so enthusiastic about doing so, I have a hard time with that. But by all means, do you!

I also get the impression that you have taken those Instagram comments and used them to cast a wider net as to this false idea that people need/or are looking for an excuse to stand in opposition to the movement of stopping violence against Asians.

Are there people that are vehemently against it? Yes. Do they need action from Asians or anybody else to feel that way? Nope

The KKK didn’t wait for Black people to do something to white people to decide that they wanted to have a KKK chapter in every city to spew stupidity across the country. The KKK didn’t NEED anyone to do anything. They just started hating and that was that.

So I don’t understand why you think anybody else needs a reason or trigger for their hatred. I suppose ideally someone would need a reason for hatred but that’s not how hate works.

Last edited:
I’ve honestly just never been into validating peoples opinions in the Instagram comment section. So when you’re so enthusiastic about doing so, I have a hard time with that. But by all means, do you!

I also get the impression that you have taken those Instagram comments and used them to cast a wider net as to this false idea that people need/or are looking for an excuse to stand in opposition to the movement of stopping violence against Asians.

Are there people that are vehemently against it? Yes. Do they need action from Asians or anybody else to feel that way? Nope

The KKK didn’t wait for Black people to do something to white people to decide that they wanted to have a KKK chapter in every city to spew stupidity across the country. The KKK didn’t NEED anyone to do anything. They just started hating and that was that.

So I don’t understand why you think anybody else needs a reason or trigger for their hatred. I suppose ideally someone would need a reason for hatred but that’s not how hate works.

imagine equating the logic and actions of a white supremacist hate group to that of people commenting on instagram. and i'm the one reaching?

"false idea that people need/or are looking for an excuse to stand in opposition to the movement of stopping violence against Asians."

so you're saying that people are just physically and verbally attacking asians for no reason? for fun? in that case, i hope you're making a concerted effort to address it, speak about it, and stop it.

imagine equating the logic and actions of a white supremacist hate group to that of people commenting on instagram. and i'm the one reaching?

"false idea that people need/or are looking for an excuse to stand in opposition to the movement of stopping violence against Asians."

so you're saying that people are just physically and verbally attacking asians for no reason? for fun? in that case, i hope you're making a concerted effort to address it, speak about it, and stop it.

Whoa- I’ve never put forth anything stating why I think Asians are getting attacked.

I don’t think anyone is able to come up with a definitive answer on that. But I do believe that hate as a concept is severely lacking in rigor in terms of thought process and execution.

I’ll double down on equating IG comments with those of a hate group.

Triple down in fact. Either you’re using an alternate IG app or you’re blind or just saying anything at this point in hopes that Wuchi reps one of your posts.

The actions of hate groups aren’t just limited to cross burnings, mass shootings and white hoods. The hatred they spread on any platform is a cog in the greater mission of hate so cut it out with this “imagine equating a hate group with IG comments”. Like seriously stop right there. You’re approaching the point where you’re reducing hate to overt acts of violence and I don’t think that’s where you intend to head with what you said.

The comments sections of youtube IG and other platforms are frequently the breeding grounds for more organized hate. I mean leaders of hate groups such as the Proud Boys have admitted that they recruit in the comments sections of social media platforms.

obviously people in IG comment sections aren’t unified as a group such as the KKK but there’s no difference in the hate they spew.

There are literally Bots set up do endorse hate on IG. I’m pretty sure there’s even some long form articles on the subject.

Nice try though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom