Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Any of y'all remember this ?
ShimMina2002.jpg

Second vid from top.

Go explore the other k music styles besides just the current girl groups and boy bands.
Enjoy. These are good.

1/2

Edit: fixed last 3 vid links

OH i know she became big afterwards. But I meant the actual moment she blew up on the net during the world cup when no one had any idea who she was.

2002 Me : :wow: :wow: :evil: :evil: :evil:

2020 Me : Meh

I watched a YouTube video once that talked about how Indian and Korean ppl share a lot of the same words in their languages and have really similar dishes too.

That was an interesting watch.

People from southern India who speak Tamil have similarities with Korean. When my mom cooks Indian food, she can get every single ingredient she needs from a Korean market if there's no Indian store nearby

People from southern India who speak Tamil have similarities with Korean. When my mom cooks Indian food, she can get every single ingredient she needs from a Korean market if there's no Indian store nearby
That's super interesting to me

I just wonder how Korea and India could've interacted before modern travel. They're nowhere near close geographically lol

That's super interesting to me

I just wonder how Korea and India could've interacted before modern travel. They're nowhere near close geographically lol

I'm not an expert, but this could've happened through the spread of Buddhism centuries ago along with the trade routes throughout Asia. With this type of spread, there were probably many exchanges of language, customs, food, etc. as well.

I'm making this assumption because that's what happened in Indonesia and Malaysia (except with Hinduism and Islam instead of Buddhism). A lot of the food is similar, and Indonesians and Malaysians actually speak more of the original Indian language (Sanskrit) that most Indian people can't speak today unless they're scholars. They share many of the same customs on top of that (for example, pre-wedding festivities are the same).

Stating the obvious here, but it shows how stupid racism is when all these cultures have definitely mixed in some way or another in the past and still share similarities to this day.

Last edited:
Ahh true.
I'm not an expert, but this could've happened through the spread of Buddhism centuries ago along with the trade routes throughout Asia. With this type of spread, there were probably many exchanges of language, customs, food, etc. as well.

I'm making this assumption because that's what happened in Indonesia and Malaysia (except with Hinduism instead of Buddhism). A lot of the food is similar, and Indonesians and Malaysians actually speak more of the original Indian language (Sanskrit) that most Indian people can't speak today unless they're scholars. They share many of the same customs as well

This part of Putin's link part corresponds with what you're saying.

Screenshot_20200528-141713_Firefox.jpg

Makes sense because Malaysia and Indonesia are right on top of each other and both are close to India geographically.

Wiki links doesn't talk about Korea specifically but did mention east asia

But interesting stuff to know nonetheless

Last edited:
One of the funniest online beefs I've seen was the 2018 ASEAN games rivalry devolving into Indo and Malay people arguing over the origin of certain dishes and who does each dish better. Damn people were HEATED :lol:

Indo food is so underappreciated. It has influences from many different places, so there's literally an amazing dish for everyone regardless of what your taste is. Stuffing yourself with Nasi Padang and washing it down with a chocolate avocado shake afterwards :pimp:

indo food is yummier. they may have similar names, and flavor profile, but theyre different. indo is spicier, malaysian food is sweeter.

i visited kl with my indo gf at the time, we went near kampung baru and ate padang style. it was different cus it was like a buffet, so u just take and eat. after u eat, u have to tell them what u ate so they can tell u how much. we had no idea. but my girl just told the cashier "daging" "nasi" etc. basically she just told them we had one meat dish one rice, one vegetable, not the specific names. we were able to get out of there and pay.

indo food is yummier. they may have similar names, and flavor profile, but theyre different. indo is spicier, malaysian food is sweeter.

i visited kl with my indo gf at the time, we went near kampung baru and ate padang style. it was different cus it was like a buffet, so u just take and eat. after u eat, u have to tell them what u ate so they can tell u how much. we had no idea. but my girl just told the cashier "daging" "nasi" etc. basically she just told them we had one meat dish one rice, one vegetable, not the specific names. we were able to get out of there and pay.
499C5917-96EC-4E86-8D58-46B3FE1423B0.jpeg

So it was different than this?

Our server just brought over all these dishes at once and then calculated the bill based on how much of it we ate. I have no idea how they do it or why they waste so much food though (hopefully they’re not reusing it for future customers :lol: )

OH i know she became big afterwards. But I meant the actual moment she blew up on the net during the world cup when no one had any idea who she was.

2002 Me : :wow: :wow: :evil: :evil: :evil:

2020 Me : Meh
She’s 47 now..

She married some kpop dude 17 years junior.
Sidenote: Korean wedding ceremony is one of those Asian big productions. Younger brother had an epic experience. Here, there, multi ceremonies and the usual multi outfits.

499C5917-96EC-4E86-8D58-46B3FE1423B0.jpeg

So it was different than this?

Our server just brought over all these dishes at once and then calculated the bill based on how much of it we ate. I have no idea how they do it or why they waste so much food though (hopefully they’re not reusing it for future customers :lol: )

yeah this is indo style. if u go to a place like sidarhana, its like this. that experience in kl was different cus theyre set up was like in a garage. food was laid out similar to filipino carinderias, but instead of a server u take it yourself. literally a buffet lol.

one indo dish that i really like is martabak. its pancake with sweeteners like condensed milk etc. its the best. malays probably have a version of this too, but never had it. i confused this with murtabak, which is completely different. my friends said "were having martabak" i was like "murtabak like malaysian food? i dont like it" theyre like "no martabak, its awesome, its not like malaysian food" :lol:

yeah this is indo style. if u go to a place like sidarhana, its like this. that experience in kl was different cus theyre set up was like in a garage. food was laid out similar to filipino carinderias, but instead of a server u take it yourself. literally a buffet lol.

one indo dish that i really like is martabak. its pancake with sweeteners like condensed milk etc. its the best. malays probably have a version of this too, but never had it. i confused this with murtabak, which is completely different. my friends said "were having martabak" i was like "murtabak like malaysian food? i dont like it" theyre like "no martabak, its awesome, its not like malaysian food" :lol:

I love martabak. My girlfriend makes it for us, but we try to not to eat it too often. Once you see how much butter and sugar goes into it :wow: She's an Indo food snob though, so she refuses to modify any dish to a healthier version. "It's not real if I do that, so we might as well not eat it at all" :lol:

So damn good though :pimp: I like both the salty and sweet martabak. Martabak with oreo/chocolate is :pimp: Last time I went to Indonesia, I made the huge mistake of ordering two entire orders of martabak before my flight back. Thought I was going to die on the way to the airport

I love martabak. My girlfriend makes it for us, but we try to not to eat it too often. Once you see how much butter and sugar goes into it :wow: She's an Indo food snob though, so she refuses to modify any dish to a healthier version. "It's not real if I do that, so we might as well not eat it at all" :lol:

So damn good though :pimp: I like both the salty and sweet martabak. Martabak with oreo/chocolate is :pimp: Last time I went to Indonesia, I made the huge mistake of ordering two entire orders of martabak before my flight back. Thought I was going to die on the way to the airport

i had my doubts during my first time. it was being made in front of us and i though it was just a thick pancake. but its really good. i definitely couldn't finish two orders, ill even struggle with one. haha

nxt time you are go back to jakarta, try bakmi gm. (bak mi geh em) if u miss it in the city they have one at the airport too. though its in the new terminal, completely separate from the international terminal.

Back
Top Bottom