Asics running shoes better than the rest?

so usually i just buy the newest nike running shoe but i've heard runners say that nikes running line isn't as good as brands like asics. i reallydon't worry about the price but i just want a real comfortable shoe that is the best availble product out there. i was looking at the asics kinsei 3 andsaw it had some good reviews but im not to sure because ive never used their products. ill usually run between 5-6 miles 3-4 times a week. anyone have anyadvice?

The most important advice anyone can give to someone shopping for running shoes is to get their gait checked out. There's a few things you can do to easilyfind out what type of shoe you need. There's different shoes for different foot types. The Kinsei is for a higher arched runner who needs a lot ofcushioning. An overpronator wouldn't react well to them.

What's your height/weight? That's also good to know. Checkout RunnersWorld.com they have a few good videos to help get you started. Nike does make afew good running shoes but most of the stuff in the mid-range price level isn't as good for the most part compared to other brands.

Don't be limited to Asics. Brooks, Mizuno, Saucony, etc all make good stuff for different runners. A tech running store is a lot of smoke and mirrors, butmost of the people can get you started in the right direction.

Originally Posted by inchecksince81

Seems like you want to hear if asics are better than nikes..YES they are. Don't look as cool though.
Two very opinionated statements.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

The most important advice anyone can give to someone shopping for running shoes is to get their gait checked out. There's a few things you can do to easily find out what type of shoe you need. There's different shoes for different foot types. The Kinsei is for a higher arched runner who needs a lot of cushioning. An overpronator wouldn't react well to them.

What's your height/weight? That's also good to know. Checkout RunnersWorld.com they have a few good videos to help get you started. Nike does make a few good running shoes but most of the stuff in the mid-range price level isn't as good for the most part compared to other brands.

Don't be limited to Asics. Brooks, Mizuno, Saucony, etc all make good stuff for different runners. A tech running store is a lot of smoke and mirrors, but most of the people can get you started in the right direction.
this is good information.

i like asics and brooks myself. i overpronate and im 6'3 220, which apparently makes me a large framed runner. ive had very good luck with the asicskayanos and the brooks trances. ive tried the saucony progrid guide and the mizuno wave inspires. the inspire felt like it had absolutely no support, butdecent cushion. my issue with them was that they wore out very quickly. i really liked the prodgrid guides, but i had the same issue...they just didnt lastvery long.

i do realize that the mizuno and saucony shoes i tried are not on the level of the asics and brooks i tried, but i got the mizunos and sauconys for free fromreps, so i gave them a shot instead of taking to the store and exchanging for something else.

roadrunnersports.com helps out too. you can go through their help guide to see what type you are.

Originally Posted by mt3130

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

The most important advice anyone can give to someone shopping for running shoes is to get their gait checked out. There's a few things you can do to easily find out what type of shoe you need. There's different shoes for different foot types. The Kinsei is for a higher arched runner who needs a lot of cushioning. An overpronator wouldn't react well to them.

What's your height/weight? That's also good to know. Checkout RunnersWorld.com they have a few good videos to help get you started. Nike does make a few good running shoes but most of the stuff in the mid-range price level isn't as good for the most part compared to other brands.

Don't be limited to Asics. Brooks, Mizuno, Saucony, etc all make good stuff for different runners. A tech running store is a lot of smoke and mirrors, but most of the people can get you started in the right direction.
this is good information.

i like asics and brooks myself. i overpronate and im 6'3 220, which apparently makes me a large framed runner. ive had very good luck with the asics kayanos and the brooks trances. ive tried the saucony progrid guide and the mizuno wave inspires. the inspire felt like it had absolutely no support, but decent cushion. my issue with them was that they wore out very quickly. i really liked the prodgrid guides, but i had the same issue...they just didnt last very long.

i do realize that the mizuno and saucony shoes i tried are not on the level of the asics and brooks i tried, but i got the mizunos and sauconys for free from reps, so i gave them a shot instead of taking to the store and exchanging for something else.
Funny, most of the people i've heard have said that the inspire felt no cushion but felt support. You ever tried the Nirvana? I hate sauconypersonally so I don't mess with their stuff. I'm not a big fan of Mizuno either but the Nirvana is significantly better than the inspire IMO.

ive never tried the nirvana...like i said i got to talking to a rep and she had a pair of the inspires in my size, so i took them to try out.

The Asics GEL-Kayano 15 received the International "Shoe of the Year" award from Runner's World.

Asics Gel Nimbus 11s.

Cant go wrong with Asics or Brooks
but make check on if you overpronate, nuetral, or supinate.

Asic GT2150/40 is probably the best value running shoe you can get if you midly overpronate. Asics tend to give a lot more cushioning, while brooks providemore light weight and low profile runnings shoes like the Trance.

Originally Posted by mt3130

ive never tried the nirvana...like i said i got to talking to a rep and she had a pair of the inspires in my size, so i took them to try out.
Well...talk to that rep and tell her to get you some damn Nirvanas. She should hook it up. ESPECIALLY if you say you didn't like the inspire.Reps take care of people.
pimp.gif

How can one brand be better?? Different brands use different types of cushioning systems and everyone has his/her own preference.

I personally prefer asics, they have held up (quality wise) for a year now and I run 10-15 miles a week in the mud, rain, all conditions for cross country.

nike keeps coming out with so much innovative engineered footwear, but asics consistenly bangs out outstanding true-runners.

Originally Posted by CPinoy

I personally prefer asics, they have held up (quality wise) for a year now and I run 10-15 miles a week in the mud, rain, all conditions for cross country.
Time to get some new shoes buddy. You must be a lightweight runner? 180ish?

i prefer asics as well. i worked at technical running store in atlanta, called big peach running company for nearly two years, and learned more than i couldever imagine about shoes and their cushioning systems. the fit process we had was very, very reliable. when each customer came in we would stand them on a heatsensitive pad to first check their arch(if they had one). second, we would have them run for 10 to 15 seconds on a treadmill that had a web-cam behind to one,film their gait cycle, and two, see what pronation tendencies they had. finally, we would review what we recorded on a tv in front of the treadmill with thecustomer. from there, depending on pronation and gait cycle, we would fit the customer with the appropriate shoes that were within his or her price range.myself, i'm a neutral runner, and have been in kinsei's for more than three years(thanks to my rep who was kind enough to give me three pair during mytime there.) i wear nike's for basketball, but most of their running shoes are too narrow for my foot. i've ran in just about all of the major brands,and of all of those i was least impressed with saucony and new balance and most impressed with asics. most mizuno's are built for runners with a higherarch, so they tend to hurt my foot on long runs, but i do enjoy quite a bit of their designs. higher end brooks products performed well for me too. as crazysaid, hit up runnersworld.com, and also you can check out http://www.bigpeachrunningco.com/process/ foran explanation on pronation as well.

I have tried Nike running shoes, but Asics have worked better for me. I typically buy whatever Asics model is available for $70-$90 from !$+@+ Sporting goodsbecause they have coupons in their ad's that can save you like $15. Currently I am running in my second pair of 2140s. I wore out my first pair over thecourse of summer and fall (I run cross country so they got heavy use) but I liked them so much that I picked up another pair. Overall, I would say that Asicsare your best bet for running shoes.

Hope this helped
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Air JustinXI

Asics Gel Nimbus 11s.

Cant go wrong with Asics or Brooks
but make check on if you overpronate, nuetral, or supinate.

Asic GT2150/40 is probably the best value running shoe you can get if you midly overpronate. Asics tend to give a lot more cushioning, while brooks provide more light weight and low profile runnings shoes like the Trance.
The Nimbus 11 has been a great shoe for me. I'm a neutral runner though. Kind of expensive but definitely worth it. I'm on my secondpair already (bought my first pair during the summer).

Have any neutral runners tried the new Glycerin yet? I've seen mixed reviews (mostly positive) about the new DNA cushioning system. I personally don'trun neutral at all but i'm always interested in feedback, especially is Brooks is moving to DNA for more and more products.

I've personally had the best results with Brooks. The Adrenaline 10 (this years edition) is AMAZING. I actually prefer it over the Trance 9. Trance 8 havestill been my favorite shoes for running that i've ever tried. Asics 21x hasn't fit me too well in the arches, the Kayano is a little bit better but Ihaven't liked them AS much. I wanna try the 16 asap.

I love my nimbus for kicking around. They're so damn comfy. I prefer them to Vomero for cushioning. Vomero's are cool but that Nimbus is just so soft.They do run small as hell though.

The Glycerin 8 is sooo comfortable. I switched from the Ravenna to that and an very happy... I have a neutral gait and wore them to work all day and no footfatigue. The only thing with these is the new cushioning is very very soft and almost reminds me of the Kanetic in that someone without strong ankles mightbecome unstable when running or working out... But overall I love this shoe....

Im a serious collector and run about about 3-5 miles a day, but I wont wear nikes to run in. Asics rule period. I only wear them and with nike not making 13.5which they should ascis win again. 2140 or kayanos is all I wear and they dont change the models much like nike does, with asics, you can get the same fitevertime.

Back
Top Bottom