At what age should you have an established career?

Been having long thoughts about this.

Depending on how many years it takes you to finish your post-secondary education. and whether you decide to continue schooling right after high school. Ormaybe you decided to change what you wanted as your career 2 years into college.

Establish may be too harsh of a word, but having a job thats very much related to your career. Which can help you elevate your status and assist you in thelong run

Just feel that everything is being rushed right now, your thoughts

well times are rough these days. I have a bachelors and i just finished my 1st semester of grad school, and i just recently (august) found a job pertaining tomy field. BUT its not something I wanna do forever (its with old people, i wanna work with kids). But yea...I HOPE by 25 ill be where I wanna be. im 23

Maybe between 28 and 32? I know for me, I am in a 5 year college, considering grad school, am aware of possibly having to work at some non-career related jobsin order to land a job doing something career oriented. So i'm hoping by 32, depending on the grad school thing I have a career focused job.

For me, there shouldn't be rules or set guidelines on how I live my life. I'll get there when I get there, but the idea that if I don't reach Xmilestone by Y age, I'm somehow a failure or "behind", isn't something I want to follow or live by.

As the Partner I work for put it, he still doesn't know what he wants to do in life.

Shouldn't really be an age. You can't expect the same things out of each person. People have different backgrounds and different paths that affect howfast they will or will not become successful.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

For me, there shouldn't be rules or set guidelines on how I live my life. I'll get there when I get there, but the idea that if I don't reach X milestone by Y age, I'm somehow a failure or "behind", isn't something I want to follow or live by.

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

Shouldn't really be an age. You can't expect the same things out of each person. People have different backgrounds and different paths that affect how fast they will or will not become successful.

i guess it does depend on what field you are in
its going to take you longer to become a high level engineer, than a technician that fixes AT&Ttowers

set goals for yourself...

but i dont see an age where you should have your "life" going on by OP..

Good post
wink.gif

10 year plan.

Its a term that I have heard being thrown around in the entertainment business. The comedian Jo Koy has touched a bit about it at his shows. You will findsuccess in anything you do within 10 years if you put your all into it.

Find out what you are interested in, hone in on a career, work towards growing, and continue through 10 years. (im on my 4th year personally)

i don't think it should be a set age either. but a good vicinity.

Most people finish high school at 18.

Many students that graduate from high school aren't sure of what they want to do for the rest of their lives. So their choice towards what career path theywant to go towards will change.

Im just saying at what age should you make a firm decision on what you're capable of, rather than following a dream. You can keep up on that dream careerpath if you come from a rich family where money isn't as much of an issue.
But if you come out of high school needing stable income in a couple years, you'll need to narrow in the # of years you're willing to try until youjust have to give in.

Sports analogy would be how many years do you stay at Double-A baseball, making a small wage. Until you realize baseball just isn't going to work.

Man, the thing that gets me about threads like this is that people are looking for someone else's approval on how to live their life. -Someone needs tocompile all these threads and make a perfect person checklist.

Originally Posted by torgriffith

Man, the thing that gets me about threads like this is that people are looking for someone else's approval on how to live their life. -Someone needs to compile all these threads and make a perfect person checklist.

So how do you know that people are looking for others approval? What if it was just a general question?

Back
Top Bottom