Atheist, could you marry someone who believes in god?

lobotomybeats

Supporter
This is something I have thought about time and time again. I have dated many girls that believe in god, and while at first it's not really an issue,inevitably the differences rear their head and the highlighted differences become appalling.

So I ask this to my fellow godless; could you spend the rest of your life with someone that believes in a higher being? Could you forget what you know to betrue to indulge someone that believes that his or her life has a greater meaning than just being? This isn't about allegiances to anything, this isfundamental differences. Could you actively believe what you believe and not silently scoff at their ideas of heaven and hell? Could you raise a child withsomeone that insist that a baby is a "miracle?" Could you be co-parents with someone that wants to instill the fear and belief in god in your child?

I am not asking if you would change in the name of love. I am asking would you be able to spend the rest of your life with someone that believes in suchnonsense?

Yes, except for

Could you be co-parents with someone that wants to instill the fear and belief in god in your child?

I want my child to grow up and believe in a god or not believe in a god on his or her own. If my child comes home with a bible im not gonna knock it down andbe like where you get this mind slave book?!!? He's going to find his meaning in life on his own. But i dated a really religious girl who always tried toconvert me because she thought I was going to hell. Then she ended it cause she couldn't date a non-christian and she said she couldnt save me it was injesus's hands. Ehh....

As long as she's open to other religions (atheism) and isn't a huge bible-thumper.

I def could, I'm going to marry the girl in my avy and she goes to church alot, shes so damn jesusy
smh.gif

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

Could you forget what you know to be true to indulge someone that believes that his or her life has a greater meaning than just being?
I would say in this case that person would be too narrow minded to accept anyone. When you KNOW anything to be true that is based on a certainamount of faith (YES, science becomes faith too at some point) you are by nature blind to other view points. I think your KNOWLEDGE of what is inherientlyunable to be known would cause rifts in your relationship that would be impassable.

Yeah I could, and if she wanted to raise the kids as christian, then thats cool too, my beliefs are ust my beliefs.

yes, just dont try to convert me. And what Scotthall said....let my kid decide if he/she wants to believe in a higher power

See I don't know that I could do it. It's such a glaring difference. You know?

Like I imagine her telling someone that she will be praying for them or whatnot and me thinking (if not saying) "Come on, really? Seriously? I think therewould be too many times that I would be embarrassed by her naivete. And I swear if ever I heard her say "Well god just has a different plan for them"or "well god doesn't give us anything we can't handle" she would be gone!

My girl doesn't know what she is Athiest/Agnostic
laugh.gif
I don't mind it one bit. Has nothing to do with my beliefs.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

My girl doesn't know what she is Athiest/Agnostic
laugh.gif
I don't mind it one bit. Has nothing to do with my beliefs.
Co-Sign, I think it can work as long as their is respect for each others beliefs.

But thats the problem with most relationships not working, It's hard to compromise and find that middle ground on situations.

So when you deal with a subject as strong as religion. Most relationships falter

Originally Posted by theprocessofbelief

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Yes, as long as she's open minded and not a religious extremist.
even though i'm not really athiest, more on the side of agnostic, believing that as long as you live well, whichever higher-up really existswill take care of you.

somebody asked this similiar question a while ago here is my answer.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by bangtcg

im an atheist, but if the love of my life wants me to be christian or whatever, i would tell her "yes i am a christian", but it would be fake.
So you'd live your whole life as a lie
short answer: yes.

i don't care about religion. i dont believe in magic or the supernatural. im not bothered by lying for a greater good and that is to enjoy my life withsomebody else. i wont have a problem with that at all. as long as my significant other cares for me, i will do the same for her. its like playing along with akid who believes in santa. "ill believe in santa as long as the kid behaves"

just cause someone who says they love you doesn't love you the way you are?

she won't love me because im christian or a jew, guaranteed. she will love me based on how i treat her.

this reminds me of a movie. its about this man who spends all of his life an atheist. a really strong one. but one day he sees this incredible pretty girl onthe street and they talk for a few minutes. when she leaves she drops something behind and the man sees it and runs after her. he follows her to a church andhe enters to give it to her. it turns out she;s one of the bride's maids and the man is in awe at how more beautiful she looks. he spends the afternoonwith her at the church and reception.
(fast forwarding years later)
the man is married to the christian woman and they spend their lives raising two kids. hes still a closet atheist actually and its funny, throughout the moviehes always scoffing or saying something about christianity, but he loves the woman and he wouldn't know what to do with his life if he lost her so hecontinues to fake it. he loves her so much that their whole life is revolved around christianity. they spend time at the church, work at the church,community service for the church etc... one day his church holds a debate (atheist vs christian). the pastor looks for anybody to sign up and debate against aatheist guest coming in. the ironic thing here is, the man knows a whole lot about the bible. prior to marrying the woman he was an atheist but a very welleducated atheist. he researched the bible and knows history about it. so everybody in the church community pressures him to support the church. he signs upand that is where his life spirals out of control.

If I was a atheist, I can't mess with those evangelicals, and those type of chicks that post random parts of bible verses on their facebook status.

Can't be with someone like that.

But on the real I can''t stand people who just read the bible on the surface level.

I was curious about this as well!

My previous girlfriend cited my atheism as a reason for leaving me - she was a VERY strong believer in Islam.

My current girlfriend is pretty Christian - not over the top, but a whole lot more than I can appreciate. We share the same principals as far as how thereligion relates to life, but I believe it because people should want to be good people for their own and society's sake. She thinks so because"God" said so... BS IMO. We're pretty serious, but we've never came to an agreement about how we would raise a kid if we have one together.She raises her current kids to be Christians and doesn't want her kids to tolerate gays and all that crap. I refuse to get married in a church, let alonetell my kids that the idea of "God" is real. I want my children to appreciate life and lives for what they are - not for what they're afraid of.I think my way of believing is the best thing in the world. She and I "discuss" (nearly argue) about religion at least once a month. I just thinkshe's stupid when she talks about how strongly she believes the nonsense.

There's pretty much 2 possible outcomes:
1. I'm not planning on having kids too soon. So, perhaps by then she'll either sway to my side, or at least let me raise my child how I findappropriate.
2. If I do have a child soon, I'm raising that child how I want to - and if she doesn't agree with it, I'll take her to court andget sole custody (trust me) and have my family and I raise the child to be open minded and tolerant of anybody who isn't bad, and to work hard. They alsowon't be taught to believe anything stupid or unbelievable. My entire family shares the same [anti]religious views as me (we all came tothe same conclusion separately - only found out they see things like me recently when I started talking to them about it).

I will not even entertain the idea of baptizing my child or children. We will never celebrate Christmas, but we'll have "holiday" celebrations.Same with Easter - they can have candy and celebrate on that day, but not for whatever fugazi reason it's supposed to be... I think the real reason waslost long ago with the colored egg and rabbit stuff. All the other fun holidays aren't religious anyway (halloween, v-day, etc).

Back
Top Bottom