Atlanta Hawks' fanbase

I went to the game this past week to watch the Hawks face the Knicks on Sunday, and I went to Tuesday's game against the Lakers. I seriously felt like I was at MSG, and Staples respectively!
laugh.gif

I know most people will say, "NY & L.A. are the two biggest markets, and it's to be expected that many of these two teams fans show up", but for years I've been to many Hawks games when they've played various teams, and it's ALWAY S  been this way. I don't see the support from the fans in ATL like I would some of the other teams' fans in other cities. Anyone else notice this?

If Atlanta wasn't an absolute anchor in the southeast they wouldn't have a team.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

If Atlanta wasn't an absolute anchor in the southeast they wouldn't have a team.

True. There's already been talk of relocating one of the teams located in the South. On another note, it doesn't help that GA is more of a football crazed state.

Originally Posted by jcollector

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

True. There's already been talk of relocating one of the teams located in the South. On another note, it doesn't help that GA is more of a football crazed state.
A lot of people don't care about the NBA in the state.  Also, everyone knows this team aint doing anything this season so people don't care.

Alot people in Atlanta that go to games are transplants or first generation residents. Atlanta doesnt really have an entrenched family passed down fan base like New York or Chicago.

Also besides the Braves, Atlanta hasnt had winning sport teams but Baseball is really kinda a "White" sport while Atlanta is comprized of alot Blacks. 

atlanta has never been a sports city.

braves playoff games wouldn't sell out in the 90's when they were in their prime

hawks games have always had ####+# attendance.

no one cares about the trashers

and the falcons only sell out when their good.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

braves playoff games wouldn't sell out in the 90's when they were in their prime

Yup, said perfectly.

Especially the part about the Braves.

exactly, the Braves NEVER sold out playoff games.

Jason Heyward is the best thing that could happen to the Braves...IMO he is more important to that franchise than someone like Pujols...not saying he's better BTW

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

exactly, the Braves NEVER sold out playoff games.

Jason Heyward is the best thing that could happen to the Braves...IMO he is more important to that franchise than someone like Pujols...not saying he's better BTW

Jason Heyward playing for the braves is a good thing.  Maybe he can be that blk star that the people there can attach themseleves too.

Falcons are worse

i had some buddies go to the regular season game and playoff game against the packers and they said they couldnt believe how "weak" their fanbase was

I watched the local broadcast when the Hawks played the Lakers and the Bob Brennan made the comment when Kobe was at the free throw line, for the second game in a row you hear MVP chants.  All Nique Wilkins could say was that is ridiculous.   BUt from all the Hawks games I have been too, Especially Lebron and Kobe it is VERY biased.  Until I walked in the arena, and saw the pictures on the wall, I forgot their was a hockey team and the hockey all star game was there, if I am not mistaken.  I do not think I will be going back, in my opinion, there are only a few games to go see in the NBA, and the tickets for those games are RIDICULOUS.  I really do not want to waste my time going to see the bucks, bobcats, thunder, spurs, knicks, etc.  I just like to see title contenders  like the heat, lakers, and celts.  

I feel that the Hawks should add a dominant, superstar type of player. This is the only way that I could see the Hawks' fanbase become more supportive to the team. Unfortunately, most of the established superstars are contractually locked in with their current teams for several years to come, or they're approaching the end of their careers. Joe Johnson is a great player, but he doesn't strike me as that take charge/vocal leader.

Yeah it kinda pisses me off, especially being a hawk fan that is two hours away and cant make it to the games. But when you think of Atl, it kinda make sinces that the fans act that way.

I'm glad to be a Philadelphian sports fan... the spirit is so high. Except for them Sixers. Isn't that how the NBA is now though? Less fans of teams more fans of players? The Sixers don't have a superstar.

The Southeast is typically more focused on college sports whereas the Northeast is about pro sports.

Out of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana:

Charlotte, ATL, Tennessee, New Orleans (DC if you want to use that for Virginia's metro) are the ONLY areas with pro sports.  Florida doesn't count.  Every one of those states has two or more college football stadiums or basketball arenas that are as big as a pro arena and the fans typically have more passion about the college programs.  With college sports, you can actually directly pay a player's salary and feel like you contributed to the team. 
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom