Attn: HOOPERS! New basketball and duffle? bag help needed.

Originally Posted by drunkmonk36

I'm confused.

Is this the original here:
(made from composite leather)?

or are you guys talking about one no longer made/produced that was full leather.

499371049_o.jpg

Came in to post but yea, they changed the TF1000 and let me be the first to say it. WORST BALL ALIVE! shouldnt even be considered an indoor ball. the outdoor Nike ball i own is 10000x better SMH

leave it to spalding to ruin the best thing they had. If your able to find the TF1000 above and love it, better buy them up before you can no longer find them.

but TF1000 suck when you get it, after about a month of LOTS of use its perfect.

I used to hate the evolution basically because all the ones ive played with were very broken in which causes them to get bigger and softer. I own a new one and i use it everyday and everyone wants to use it for pickup. the Evo is a GREAT ball but once it gets fully broken in its garbage.

Originally Posted by Zyzz

I'm confused.

or are you guys talking about one no longer made/produced that was full leather.

499371049_o.jpg

If your able to find the TF1000 above and love it, better buy them up before you can no longer find them.
Thanks for the reply Zyzz. So that pic above IS the original TF-1000 everyone is talking about? I'm confused because of the 'ZK Microfibre Composite' writing and everyone saying the ZK is trash..
So if I can find the exact ball as above, I should buy a couple, right?
happy.gif

yes thats the ball. the one with ZK in gold is trash

but what i was referring to is they dont make either of those balls anymore. They changed the balls completely, not sure if anyone knows it.

Yea I know what you mean about the old Top Flites, same with the Wilson Evolutions. They changed how they made them around 99 or so, still great grip but they OD'd with that cushion core soft feel and made the panels more rounded into the large channels, which is what all ball makers are going to now.

get an nba official leather ball. buy some og (red and blue) barbasol... its not a conditioner so it doesnt put that protective waxy junk, but it softens up leather (old baseball glove trick). put a very thick coat of it all over the ball and let it sit overnight. wipe it down with a wet cloth and then just man up and play ball with it. in about 3-6 months, itll be money....

there's nothing better sounding in basketball than a swish with a leather ball.

Originally Posted by af1 1982

Regular TF-1000. Feels like how a basketball should be made...leather

I hate the Evolution, too slippery for me. Feels too fake.

I am a big fan of The Rock and Baden balls.

The Rock is good...my Evo is well broken in and its still too slippery. I miss my TF....The only problem with NBA balls is that it takes AGES to break em in due to the real leather, but when they get there its nothing like it

Originally Posted by Zyzz

I'm confused.

499371049_o.jpg

If your able to find the TF1000 above and love it, better buy them up before you can no longer find them.
Thanks for the reply Zyzz. So that pic above IS the original TF-1000 everyone is talking about? I'm confused because of the 'ZK Microfibre Composite' writing and everyone saying the ZK is trash..
So if I can find the exact ball as above, I should buy a couple, right?
happy.gif

I have that ball and I don't think its the original. I agree that the one in Gold is trash, but the one pictured above is not as good as the original. The old one was a great ball if I knew where to find it I would buy like 5 of them

Originally Posted by mco85

I have that ball and I don't think its the original. I agree that the one in Gold is trash, but the one pictured above is not as good as the original. The old one was a great ball if I knew where to find it I would buy like 5 of them
so the old one is basically discontinued then and the one I pictured is the next (current) best thing?

Originally Posted by mco85

so the old one is basically discontinued then and the one I pictured is the next (current) best thing?

Yeah from what I know. There are still some of the old ones floating around on amazon but its really hard to tell the difference on the internet, you kinda have to hold the ball in your hands to know what im talking about. The current TF 1000 is still good though

the one pictured up there is NOW DISCONTINUED! same goes for the ZK version. they still have TF-1000 but they changed the materials on the ball which is terrible.

they now make a TF1000 like the Evolution as well havent played with it so no idea if its good.

been looking to cop a indoor ball for a min i might just buy the evolution ball since most of you guys are saying the new TF-1000 is trash, i played a couple times with the FIBA ball its no to bad as well

get an nba official leather ball. buy some og (red and blue) barbasol... its not a conditioner so it doesnt put that protective waxy junk, but it softens up leather (old baseball glove trick). put a very thick coat of it all over the ball and let it sit overnight. wipe it down with a wet cloth and then just man up and play ball with it. in about 3-6 months, itll be money....

ebay btw still has some sellers with new, old versions of balls

But I've never heard of this trick for the official NBA one. I'll do it on mine because like I said, I have had it well over a yr and it still feels hard and plasticy.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

ebay btw still has some sellers with new, old versions of balls

But I've never heard of this trick for the official NBA one. I'll do it on mine because like I said, I have had it well over a yr and it still feels hard and plasticy.
make sure u coat the @#%* out of the ball and let it sit overnight. do it even several times... ask ANY baseball player who breaks in a glove. barbasol is used a TON

Thanks for all the quality input guys!

I pulled the trigger on the TF-1000 mentioned (pictured). Will see how that goes..
nerd.gif

I'm going to do that Barbasol trick tonight Kay. I'll let everyone know how it worked. BTW, if you want an official NBA ball, the best way to get them cheap is to ebay searched for autographed basketballs and find one autographed by someone insignificant. I still remember a long time ago I got a Joe Klein one for like 10 bucks. He wasn't even in the laeauge at the time, don't know how or why he was even in a position to autograph one, because it was one of the newer versions.

I watched some Youtube videos on breaking in a leather ball and like you said, they were all using conditioner which seems counter productive since it just puts another wax like clearcoat on it snd that's the opposite of what I need

just fyi... so i bought a new ball for 2012... the 2011 / 2012 ball is a LOT different than the 2006 official nba ball i have... it has a deeper channel and theres definitely a little bit of cushion... the 2006 ball is definitely different. i'll post pics later

Originally Posted by BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

So nobody uses a Nike ball anymore? I know I'm old but last time I bought a ball (2006) everyone liked Nike.

the new nike elite championship is a pretty nice ball. if i played with composite, i'd probably buy that now.... but nba leather > composite

Originally Posted by k0betw0

just fyi... so i bought a new ball for 2012... the 2011 / 2012 ball is a LOT different than the 2006 official nba ball i have... it has a deeper channel and theres definitely a little bit of cushion... the 2006 ball is definitely different. i'll post pics later

post pics, i know the older leather balls were complete trash, hard as a rock, no cushioning very little grip, and slippery as hell.

i had an actual team issued ball and was a completely different ball. interested to see the ball you got, if its nice i might have to buy one.

Back
Top Bottom