Audi B5 S4 or e46 330i

2002 b5 s4 2.7 biturbo or 2004 330i with M-series performance pack?

which would you choose?

nerd.gif

If it aint an M3, then no 3 series is worth it...

/typical NT response.

Honestly I woudnt get either, save up and get something more recent, unless you are set on getting either one and its low mileage/well taken care of, id getthe Bimmer.

330i was my first car, got it when it was new, loved it.

RWD is fun. But the S4 probably has more power? Anyway with some tweaking of the turbos it would have a lot more. Depends on what kind of driving experienceyou want. Both are great cars, I think BMWs handle better and have feel more responsive. If you want a car that's more of a straight-line-power kinda carthen get the Audi.

^^ it has 250(s4) while the 330i is short 15hp at 235.

what do you mean straight line power?off the line start?

330i zhp...my favorite mid size sedan

zsp is nice as well but even a regular 330 is sweet. i'd even take a 325i.

Originally Posted by DayDayz e36

^^ it has 250(s4) while the 330i is short 15hp at 235.

what do you mean straight line power?off the line start?

Pretty much. AWD=faster off the line, and the hp boost you get from the turbos (stock they are not doing much, get those things tuned) will make it faster in astraight line than the 330. But if you care about handling, and overall "fun to drive" experience, the 330 might be more rewarding.

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Originally Posted by HOLLAKID619

2004 G35 maybe? Non-turbo v6, 280HP & 270 ft/lbs torque
This car is the new Civic, everyone has one.
I dont think that makes it less of a car. Im sure they're are other people that drive the same car as you right now.

I cant speak much about the 3 series but I have a wealth of information about the s4. The b5 is an amazing platform with tunability. If you were to upgrade theturbos to K04's or GTs you can bump output to the mid 400's. Even a simple ECU upgrade at $500 would put you around 300hp. Any used european is goingto cost a bit in maintance, so unless youre ready for that dont look any further. I have a b5 and I think I have done almost everything to it. They are amazingvehicles and have a timeless appeal. There is no way a 3 series would out handle a stock s4 suspension. Let alone if you were to upgrade. Quattro is amazingand its actaully fairly to simple mod to a rear wheel drive.

Originally Posted by AusZero

I cant speak much about the 3 series but I have a wealth of information about the s4. The b5 is an amazing platform with tunability. If you were to upgrade the turbos to K04's or GTs you can bump output to the mid 400's. Even a simple ECU upgrade at $500 would put you around 300hp. Any used european is going to cost a bit in maintance, so unless youre ready for that dont look any further. I have a b5 and I think I have done almost everything to it. They are amazing vehicles and have a timeless appeal. There is no way a 3 series would out handle a stock s4 suspension. Let alone if you were to upgrade. Quattro is amazing and its actaully fairly to simple mod to a rear wheel drive.
Yes. B5 S4's were the last real S4's made. A lot of people are holding on to them. Audi tried to up the ante and went with a V8 andstill got spanked by the I6 on the E46 M3. I would easily go with the S4 in your shoes.

you'll be cursing+kicking yourself REPEATEDLY if you get the B5 S4.......epitome of a problem child. couple good friends had em & ditched.....less thana yr & less than 2.

don't believe me, do some research.

btw, forgot to mention, my boy that unloaded his s4 in under a year was in the shop so much w/that car, he bought into the very same independent Audi repairspot! lol i ain't playin either!

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

Originally Posted by DayDayz e36

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

If it aint an M3, then no 3 series is worth it...
it has the M-performance pack... next best thing to an M3.

335i?
I'm pretty sure he meant in the e46 class, not e9x.

I'm a big BMW fan, but in this case I would have to go with the s4. The AWD system is nice, plus its very mod friendly.

Originally Posted by CLsmooth71

you'll be cursing+kicking yourself REPEATEDLY if you get the B5 S4.......epitome of a problem child. couple good friends had em & ditched.....less than a yr & less than 2.

don't believe me, do some research.

The b5 platform is almost 15 years old now so there are problems. If you keep up on maintenance you'll be ok. More or less. Its really an enthusiast car.You can get amazing power out of them and with quattro the car is a blast. However there is a reason that Audi has moved away from the bi-turbo setup as the S4turbo went out pretty fast however were replaced by Audi. If you're a college student who needs a reliable ride get a civic, but if you want something withtunability and strong German engineering the S4 can give you more rewards than a 3 series.

Back
Top Bottom