AUNT VIV IS MAD VOL......oscars

Lol. You sound like one of them.. Outta place to whom exactly?
Out of place as in the quality of film making, especially SOC, isn't on par with the actual nominations. Creed was excellent but I don't see it as a best picture.

"You sound like one of them." I don't know what that means.
 How can a movie, be out of place amongst other movies?
Is this a serious question?
laugh.gif

I
It's the truth, they're not on the same level.

I would easily replace either one of these films over Mad Max but that's just me though
But I think they should make their own platform if that's how they feel just as long as it don't become like the BET Awards where the same artist that complain about not getting a Grammy won't show up to where they are being recognized and I understand some people put one award over the other but if you as a artist complain about recognition they would have to at least recognize who recognizes them

Creed isn't a best picture caliber film. Very good movie, but not in the same discussion as Spotlight or The Revenant.

Straight Out of Compton best picture? :rofl:

Most will agree.

what constitutes best picture material tho? in your opinion, what makes a movie worthy of that nomination?

You'd be surprised how much of a difference winning a Grammy or an Oscar can make in an artists career. It's a bargaining chip and I'm sure it has a big impact on your earning power.
this statement makes me think about three 6 mafia.. its hard out here for a pimp..lol

i still don't know how or why three 6 won that

[thread="643051"]Quote:[/thread]

Creed isn't a best picture caliber film. Very good movie, but not in the same discussion as Spotlight or The Revenant.

Most will agree.

Since movies are subjective , I'm going to use to criteria of critics scores as means to prove my argument.
View media item 1875595
The Reverent which sits at an aggregate score of 82% approval with critics , it was nominated for best picture, best lead actor , best supporting actor , best cinematography , best director , etc.........

View media item 1875598

As you can see Straight Outta Compton has an aggregate score of 88% approval with critics. The only nomination is got was for best original screen play.......WTF!!!!!

View media item 1875599

And lastly Creed sits at a whopping 94% approval with critics. And only got a best supporting actor nod for Sly. Despite the massive critical acclaim it received.

So I ask you , why was neither movie nominated again??

this kind of reaffirms the questions what really makes a movie best picture material? and like i said, still haven't started creed yet, but i've watch sly in movies before, and although i hear he's great in the film, its a role that he's at home playing. this dude isn't a dynamic actor by any means, so to nominate him seems kind of...odd.

if nominations are to be seen as recognition of great work, regardless if that nominee goes on to win, you'd think ryan coogler would see SOME love, being a 29yr old black dude from oakland, having now already made 2 critically acclaimed movies, and landed a major movie in Marvel Phase 3 with Black Panther.

this sort of reminds me of the folk who want lebron to not play as a form of protest for tamir rice in cleveland.

also isn't the awards voted for by other actors, in terms of best actor , supporting? cuz it would seem the actors are the problem...:nerd:

The Academy's full name is The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), and it's made up of more than 6000 (currently 6,028) voting members. All are film industry professionals, most are US-based, and almost half are active filmmakers (i.e. their most recent credit was 2010 or later).

Oscar voters are on average 63 years old. 76% of them are men, and 94% of them are white.

informative post. but this is inherently the problem with the academy, its like the U.S congress; a panel made up of that kind of demographic is not gonna yield what seems like a diverse pool of nominees..

academyawardsinfographic-lg.jpg

i don't think anyone is denying hollywood is racist. but the makeup of the academy proves my point, regardless of a black president. george lucas funded red tails entirely himself because he got turned away but all major studios.

...danny glover been trying to make a movie on haitian revolution for god knows how long. same road block.

what constitutes best picture material tho? in your opinion, what makes a movie worthy of that nomination?
I think it has to be pretty close to flawless, a routine that is pretty unique, dynamic performances by the lead and support including chemistry, good score, directing, writing, etc.

Jaws

Goodfellas

Schindler's List

Fargo

Midnight Express

Raging Bull

Mystic River

That's my taste.

I think it has to be pretty close to flawless, a routine that is pretty unique, dynamic performances by the lead and support including chemistry, good score, directing, writing, etc.

Jaws

Goodfellas

Schindler's List

Fargo

Midnight Express

Raging Bull

Mystic River

That's my taste.
this is true but thats like 7 movies in 40 years of film

they need to pick 8-10 movies per year so the standards have to be way lower than “close to flawless" 

Most will agree.

Story has to be great, acting has to be great, all the technical stuff in production has to be near flawless. Now those first two things are subjective but it's voted on by many ppl and they don't all think alike. Being super creative or just nailing it with the cinematography and directing helps/put it's over the top to win. Even more so if the acting is just amazing.

It's not based off Rotten Tomatoes or how much money it grosses. It's basically knowing the difference in quality between White Chicks and Good WIll Hunting.

There seems to be two different groups though. The Oscars does not cater to the casual movie going crowd that mainly go for entertainment in some form. It's about powerful storytelling and filmmaking. There's a standard that has to be reached.

Straight out of Compton aint touching something like Ray.

I just got this fear now that when the Academy say they'll address this they're gonna start doing what yall want but it won't really change much. Create some quota where at least two black actors or movies get nominated just to avoid controversy knowing that they won't win at all. May even expand how many ppl can be nominated in certain categories just to **** with things. That won't help anything.
...danny glover been trying to make a movie on haitian revolution for god knows how long. same road block.
Tell Danny to get some white ppl with money to help produce it. He must not be good at convincing producers that the movie can and would sell. Then you'd think maybe some black ppl with money would've been contacted to help and be producers.

Listen, passion projects are hard to get made for everybody. There's a bunch of movies that haven't been made yet cuz they're stuck in pre-production hell or producers bail cuz they don't like the direction of where things are going.

End of the day the ppl with the money have to believe you're either gonna make a movie that'll make them their money back and more or the story and message of the movie is so important and it'll be such a gem to film that it has to be told.

Last edited:
People need to be reminded that Leonardio Dicaprio has never won an Oscar. Martin Scorsese didn't win until 2007. The acadamy voters are famous for snubbing people. Straight out of Compton isn't even worthy of an MTV nomination.

The best director ever kubrick also never won for best director. The academy gets shot wrong all the time and has for decades

Last edited:
he made the "people of color" section of that info graphic just because he played an indian man 
roll.gif

might as well add RDJ to the "people of color" who have been snubbed for best supporting actor 

Nah, with Ben it's something serious :lol: Ever since Ghandi just cuz he got a slight tan he can get away with playing an Egyptian, Middle Eastern, etc. and nobody gets mad (myself included).

Like it's when actors use to put on the fake tan to do a Cleopatra movie or slant their eyes and play Asian characters except Ben doesn't need to do that. He's one of those ambiguous looking white dudes where you assume he mixed with something.

Ben Kingsley is half Indian. His dad was from Kenya. His real name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji.

Kingsley's father, born in Kenya, was of Gujarati Indian (Ismaili Muslim Khoja) descent.

:smh: at blacks acting like Hollywood isn't white washed. We stay worrying about the wrong ****.

Janet Hubert, though coming off as bitter is absolutely right. Jada is trying to bite the hand that paid for her and her husbands cushy lifestyle. Advocating being pro black while your son is wearing dresses and hanging with Kardashian's. You're better than this Jada...

here is a link from gma with will smith

https://gma.yahoo.com/smith-joins-wife-not-attending-oscars-124629423--abc-news-topstories.html

"We've discussed it," Smith said, referring to his wife, actress Jada Pinkett Smith. "We're part of this community but at this current time, we're uncomfortable to stand there and say that this is OK."

“My wife’s not going. It would be awkward to show up with Charlize [Theron]," Smith joked of attending the Feb. 28 ceremony with a different leading lady.

Smith says he was out of the country when his wife announced on social media that she would be skipping this year's Oscars but supports her all the way.

"She's deeply passionate and when she is moved she has to go,” Smith said of Pinkett Smith. “I heard her words and I was knocked over. I was happy to be married to that woman."

"There is a position that we hold in this community, and if we're not part of the solution, we're part of the problem,” he added. “It was her call to action, for herself, and for me and for our family to be a part of the solution."

Director Spike Lee has also said he would not be attending the Oscars this year -- telling "GMA" that he is going instead to a New York Knicks basketball game -- and stars from George Clooney to Lupita Nyong'o have also spoken out about the lack of diversity in nominees.

Smith, a two-time Oscar nominee, called the diversity that is lacking in this year's nominees "the American superpower."

"That's why we are great," Smith said of America’s diversity. "So many different people from so many different places adding their ideas, their inspiration and their influences to this beautiful American gumbo."

"For me, at its best, Hollywood represents and then creates the imagery for that beauty," Smith said. "But for my part, I think that I have to protect and fight for the ideals that make our country and make our Hollywood community great." "So when I look at the series of nominations of the Academy, it's not reflecting that beauty," he said.

Smith said it was "huge" for him that the two times he has been nominated for an Oscar - 2001 for "Ali" and 2006 for "The Pursuit of Happyness" - he lost to African-American actors, Denzel Washington and Forest Whitaker.

“Everyone is beautiful and deserving and is fantastic, but it feels like it’s going the wrong direction,” Smith said of this year’s nominees

“The nominations reflect the Academy. The Academy reflects the industry [Hollywood] and then the industry reflects America,” Smith said. “There is a regressive slide towards separatism, towards racial and religious disharmony and that’s not the Hollywood that I want to leave behind.

“That’s not the industry, that’s not the America I want to leave behind,” he added.

The star says he believes his wife's decision to not attend this year's Oscars is bigger than just a disappointment that Smith did not receive a nomination for his role in "Concussion."

"There's probably a part of that in there but, for Jada, had I been nominated and no other people of color were, she would have made the video anyway," Smith said. "We'd still be here having this conversation. This is so deeply not about me.

"This is about children that are going to sit down and they're going to watch this show and they're not going to see themselves represented," he said.

Like Spike Lee, Smith said he believes the lack of diversity at the Oscars is part of a bigger problem in Hollywood.

"At this point, the Academy is 94 percent Caucasian and 77 percent male,” Smith said of the group that decides Oscar nominees. “It's just difficult to get a diverse cultural sampling from that group.

Most will agree.

Story has to be great, acting has to be great, all the technical stuff in production has to be near flawless. Now those first two things are subjective but it's voted on by many ppl and they don't all think alike. Being super creative or just nailing it with the cinematography and directing helps/put it's over the top to win. Even more so if the acting is just amazing.

It's not based off Rotten Tomatoes or how much money it grosses. It's basically knowing the difference in quality between White Chicks and Good WIll Hunting.

There seems to be two different groups though. The Oscars does not cater to the casual movie going crowd that mainly go for entertainment in some form. It's about powerful storytelling and filmmaking. There's a standard that has to be reached.

Straight out of Compton aint touching something like Ray.

I just got this fear now that when the Academy say they'll address this they're gonna start doing what yall want but it won't really change much. Create some quota where at least two black actors or movies get nominated just to avoid controversy knowing that they won't win at all. May even expand how many ppl can be nominated in certain categories just to **** with things. That won't help anything.
Tell Danny to get some white ppl with money to help produce it. He must not be good at convincing producers that the movie can and would sell. Then you'd think maybe some black ppl with money would've been contacted to help and be producers.

Listen, passion projects are hard to get made for everybody. There's a bunch of movies that haven't been made yet cuz they're stuck in pre-production hell or producers bail cuz they don't like the direction of where things are going.

End of the day the ppl with the money have to believe you're either gonna make a movie that'll make them their money back and more or the story and message of the movie is so important and it'll be such a gem to film that it has to be told.

right there. isn't that a story worth telling?

man screw this broad. ain't no1 trying to listen to her opinions.

Nah, with Ben it's something serious :lol: Ever since Ghandi just cuz he got a slight tan he can get away with playing an Egyptian, Middle Eastern, etc. and nobody gets mad (myself included).

Like it's when actors use to put on the fake tan to do a Cleopatra movie or slant their eyes and play Asian characters except Ben doesn't need to do that. He's one of those ambiguous looking white dudes where you assume he mixed with something.

word, the U.S. Census defines middle eastern, egyptian as white caucasian.

check this out

Last edited:
All i see is sore losers. People get snubbed all the time at the Oscars. Leonardo Dicaprio, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp and Tom Cruise all have no Oscars. Guaranteed 98% of the people crying racism haven't even seen all the movies nominated. I personally think Black Mass got snubbed.

Last edited:
If only the world were as cut and dry as you made it out to be.

You honestly don't see an issue with the history of the Oscars and the makeup of the voters?

Subconscious systematic racism is a real thing. It doesn't have to be outright conscious intended racism for there to be an issue.

Last edited:
No not at all. Plenty of black actors/actresses have won. Although not alot of Korean, Chinese, Mexican and East Indians have won.  And a racist Acadamy would NEVER let Three six mafia win one. But they did.

No not at all. Plenty of black actors/actresses have won. Although not alot of Korean, Chinese, Mexican and East Indians have won.  And a racist Acadamy would NEVER let Three six mafia win one. But they did.

You should re-read the following post:

If only the world were as cut and dry as you made it out to be.

You honestly don't see an issue with the history of the Oscars and the makeup of the voters?

Subconscious systematic racism is a real thing. It doesn't have to be outright conscious intended racism for there to be an issue.

All i see is sore losers. People get snubbed all the time at the Oscars. Leonardo Dicaprio, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp and Tom Cruise all have no Oscars. Guaranteed 98% of the people crying racism haven't even seen all the movies nominated. I personally think Black Mass got snubbed.
But they get nominated. Key word being nominated. While they didn't win , their work was recognized. And yes , I've seen 6 out of the 8 movies nominated. I didn't see Brooklyn and Carol because it hasn't been released here yet.

Back
Top Bottom