Autographed Shoes, does it make them more valuable or not?

I was wondering what your thoughts are on this subject. does the autograph make a shoe more valuable or is it like a baseball card where the card value is gone and there only worth what the autograph is worth? Also does the person who autographed the shoe make a difference like a PE or a Travis Scott type of shoe. would a Travis Scott shoe be more valuable with a MJ autograph or a Travis sig? I own a pair of 3's signed by Tinker actually both shoes have a sig. would these be more valuable if they were ds with no sig?
IMG_20171211_141117.jpg

Last edited:
The thing about Tinker-signed shoes is that:

A.) He is still alive

B.) Most people don’t know who he is

Both of these aspects wouldn’t make the current resale cost of these rise very much. If MJ signed your 3s, then it is a different story altogether because point B wouldn’t apply, even if point A obviously does.

to me the rarity of the sig would matter too.. mj has a billion sigs out there.. not to many tinker sigs. not to say my shoes are super valuable but besides the money its harder to find a tinker sig than a mj sig right?

to me the rarity of the sig would matter too.. mj has a billion sigs out there.. not to many tinker sigs. not to say my shoes are super valuable but besides the money its harder to find a tinker sig than a mj sig right?

This confuses me because Tinker pumped out sooo many joints from 86 into the 90's that I dont think it would be that hard to find a Tinker sig that isnt a Jordan shoe. AM1, trainers, etc.

Everything about collecting is subjective. Its only worth what someone has been willing to pay for it. I have learned this a long time ago. You can have a 400 dollar pair of shoes all day long but if no one bites or your best offer over time is 250, then in reality thats what they are worth imo. Its like this Right seller, Right buyer, Right time. That is the only way to nearly maximize the potential value. Still then its not guaranteed. To me, a Tinker signed pair of TB3s are far greater in value than if they were simply DS. I collect so my view will be different from people that dont.
The next question you will ask maybe is whats the value. Understand my wallet is not as long as others. So my price would only be a reference until more came in. The dollar amount in my head may be laughable to many saying too high. Some may think the opposite. It all comes down to what people tell YOU what they would offer. Thats what they are worth.

This confuses me because Tinker pumped out sooo many joints from 86 into the 90's that I dont think it would be that hard to find a Tinker sig that isnt a Jordan shoe. AM1, trainers, etc.
Maybe so. But Tinks claim to fame will always be his creation of the 3. So a sig on that shoe would mean a little more than on any other.

Maybe so. But Tinks claim to fame will always be his creation of the 3. So a sig on that shoe would mean a little more than on any other.

Maybe its relative but I don't see it that way. I think the Air Max 1 is for the revolutionary air bubble. I understand the importance of the 3 though so its hard to say which is what made me think maybe its relative. I also see what you might mean though because I started to think, well, the answer is what do most people connect Tinker with.

To me, I would probably rather him sign my 3's than anything...

As I was typing this, I noticed your other post saying its subjective which is what I was saying too!

yeah when he told me to send a pair to him it only made since to send the first pair he designed. My first thought was the concord 11s in a silver sharpie. Then after I though about it I knew the history of that sig on that shoe would mean more to me in the long run! I have seen a few pairs over the years signed but he normally will only sign one shoe so I got lucky with both being signed ..look around you won’t find many where both are signed .

Maybe its relative but I don't see it that way. I think the Air Max 1 is for the revolutionary air bubble. I understand the importance of the 3 though so its hard to say which is what made me think maybe its relative. I also see what you might mean though because I started to think, well, the answer is what do most people connect Tinker with.

To me, I would probably rather him sign my 3's than anything...

As I was typing this, I noticed your other post saying its subjective which is what I was saying too!
You have a great point with the Air max. But I will always see the 3 as the shoe that kept Micheal there. After the 1 and 2 he was out.

yeah when he told me to send a pair to him it only made since to send the first pair he designed. My first thought was the concord 11s in a silver sharpie. Then after I though about it I knew the history of that sig on that shoe would mean more to me in the long run! I have seen a few pairs over the years signed but he normally will only sign one shoe so I got lucky with both being signed ..look around you won’t find many where both are signed .
If that man told me he would sign any pair I owned, without question I would give him a pair of 3s. For the exact reasons you did.

To me his most significant design was the 3. It saved Nike from losing Jordan. But his greatest was the XI. It kept Nike from dropping the Air Jordan. Which is what Nike was planning on doing after the 10.

Last edited:
You have a great point with the Air max. But I will always see the 3 as the shoe that kept Micheal there. After the 1 and 2 he was out.

didn’t the 3s come out before the air max 1s? Pretty sure the 3s had the visible air first right? Maybe not as big of a bubble but the 3s were the first Nikes to have it and it was Tinkers idea so to me the 3s are the most revolutionary even Mike crapped himself when he saw the first pair of 3s ..if air max’s were first it would not have been such a big deal ..showing that bubble all came from the idea of air Jordan right?

didn’t the 3s come out before the air max 1s? Pretty sure the 3s had the visible air first right? Maybe not as big of a bubble but the 3s were the first Nikes to have it and it was Tinkers idea so to me the 3s are the most revolutionary even Mike crapped himself when he saw the first pair of 3s ..if air max’s were first it would not have been such a big deal ..showing that bubble all came from the idea of air Jordan right?
We all know when the 3 came out. But the Air max came a few years later in 1990 I believe. The Air max simply took the vis air concept and made it bigger/ better in terms of comfort. I cant tell you for sure that the vis air appeared first on a 3 though. It may have been on a Revolution first.

If that man told me he would sign any pair I owned, without question I would give him a pair of 3s. For the exact reasons you did.

To me his most significant design was the 3. It saved Nike from losing Jordan. But his greatest was the XI. It kept Nike from dropping the Air Jordan. Which is what Nike was planning on doing after the 10.

Ironically both the 3 and the 11 kept Jordan in some way.. Now that the 11 is mentioned. I would probably rather those because my love for them runs deeper than the 3's.

Ironically both the 3 and the 11 kept Jordan in some way.. Now that the 11 is mentioned. I would probably rather those because my love for them runs deeper than the 3's.
I understand this. Personally the XI holds a greater feel to me also. Thats the pair MJ signing. :lol: :lol:

Everything about collecting is subjective. Its only worth what someone has been willing to pay for it. I have learned this a long time ago. You can have a 400 dollar pair of shoes all day long but if no one bites or your best offer over time is 250, then in reality thats what they are worth imo. Its like this Right seller, Right buyer, Right time. That is the only way to nearly maximize the potential value. Still then its not guaranteed. To me, a Tinker signed pair of TB3s are far greater in value than if they were simply DS. I collect so my view will be different from people that dont.
The next question you will ask maybe is whats the value. Understand my wallet is not as long as others. So my price would only be a reference until more came in. The dollar amount in my head may be laughable to many saying too high. Some may think the opposite. It all comes down to what people tell YOU what they would offer. Thats what they are worth.

This exactly. It’s all kind of subjective.

collecting in general is subjective as hell and kinda based on trends/ scarcity and personal value. Tinker has a following so obviously there are those who are very into sneakers that may appreciate his signature on this shoe. While there is probably a great majority of people who have no idea who Tinker is nor care that he wrote on your shoes.

Sneaker culture is still huge right now but with Tinker being alive there probably isn’t that scarcity that would be needed to drastically drive the value up. hopefully tinker is around for years to come but we have no ability to predict if society will still value this fad as much as they do right now.

Last edited:
As others have already perfectly stated, theyre worth a lot to the right person. I kind of liken this situation to a signed piece of artwork. Tinker is the artist/designer, and to the right collector, those signed shoes can be priceless. To me, a Tinker sig on a pair of 3s, 11s or AM1s would be amazing to just have in a display case and would greatly bring more value to the shoe. I also wouldnt expect to make profit from them if I were to ever sell them because not as many people know the man behind the design. They just know the guy who wore them.

I'm also of the older generation where a Tinker sig would add value, where a Travis Scott sig would bring the price down to cheaper than retail. Good thought provoking question you brought up though.

Think about it like this, the Chuck Taylor is arguably the most successful shoe ever. Along with shell toe and white on white Air Force 1.

I give literally no ****s about who designed that shoe nor do I genuinely believe anyone would outrageous prices for a signed pair from the various designers attached to each of those models. I have no doubt that the greater majority feels the exact same way about Tinkers sig with these.

Oh and full disclosure I had a pair of Spike Lee signed mars 4s. He literally signed my worn twice (at that point) Mars 4s in 2010. I still wore em to death because even though I value spike and realize his impact on that shoe and it’s advertising, I know that most other people don’t give a ****, so instead of holding onto them hoping they are worth a gazillion dollars in the future. I’d rather wear em and share my cool story with people that ask who wrote on my kicks.

As others have already perfectly stated, theyre worth a lot to the right person. I kind of liken this situation to a signed piece of artwork. Tinker is the artist/designer, and to the right collector, those signed shoes can be priceless. To me, a Tinker sig on a pair of 3s, 11s or AM1s would be amazing to just have in a display case and would greatly bring more value to the shoe. I also wouldnt expect to make profit from them if I were to ever sell them because not as many people know the man behind the design. They just know the guy who wore them.

I'm also of the older generation where a Tinker sig would add value, where a Travis Scott sig would bring the price down to cheaper than retail. Good thought provoking question you brought up though.
Exactly. A Travis Scott signed shoe would mean zero to me. But a lot to so many. A Tink sig would be amazing to have. It all depends on the buyer. As far as I am concerned here, Tinker is THE artist and the shoes will always be HIS work. MJ trumps all that of course. Only because of the obvious.

Think about it like this, the Chuck Taylor is arguably the most successful shoe ever. Along with shell toe and white on white Air Force 1.

I give literally no ****s about who designed that shoe nor do I genuinely believe anyone would outrageous prices for a signed pair from the various designers attached to each of those models. I have no doubt that the greater majority feels the exact same way about Tinkers sig with these.

Oh and full disclosure I had a pair of Spike Lee signed mars 4s. He literally signed my worn twice (at that point) Mars 4s in 2010. I still wore em to death because even though I value spike and realize his impact on that shoe and it’s advertising, I know that most other people don’t give a ****, so instead of holding onto them hoping they are worth a gazillion dollars in the future. I’d rather wear em and share my cool story with people that ask who wrote on my kicks.
From my perspective its the opposite. If Spike would have signed my 4s, I would have cased them not caring at all what the value was. I would have wanted to preserve that time or moment meeting him the best I could. Cool to see all different angles here. Everyone looks at "collecting" different.

I love the response this is exactly why I created this thread! No wrong answers here. I’ve been into sneakers since the early 80s and I’m still learning too!

And to be technical the 3s were obviously designed well before the release in Jan 88 so mike could have seen the 3s and signed off before the am1s were even released to the public or even seen by anyone but tinker technically. I’ll message Tinker to get some more exact info on what was technically designed first..

Cool as a shelf piece and/or to memorialize meeting said person. However, I don't want anyone's scribbling on a shoe that I buy. I buy shoes to wear, not as memorabilia. If I had more money than sense, collecting game-worn and signed shoes would be cool, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom