Bad news, Hawai'i football switches to Under Armour

I don't see why that's so bad.....more exposure for UA.....it's cot dam amazing how this company started by word of mouth to see where it is nowtoday. I don't think the uni's will look all that bad...they do a wonderful job in outfitting UMD football...

If this happened before we got our Nike contract or before Jones left I would be thrilled. But I doubt that we decided to go with UA because it was the betteroffer. Still, things could be a lot worse i the uniform department.

i havent been a fan of this bs under armour brand ... their stuff is over priced and ugly imo ... and i know the owner too hes from md and i keep tellin him heneeds a new design team

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

If this happened before we got our Nike contract or before Jones left I would be thrilled. But I doubt that we decided to go with UA because it was the better offer.

laugh.gif
translation: after getting exposed on national tv, losing yourbest players and your best coach after the best season in the schools history, it was inevitable that even Nike would cut ties with the institution.

^sadly, i think he's right. The second june jones had his press conference with SMU, he already had a new jersey for SMU featuring the swoosh.

how is this bad news? UA is taking over.

Hawaii's program will probably suck, but at least this means ill jerseys are on the way
pimp.gif

Nike owns Under Armour in every department.

When I was working at a sporting goods store a few years back, when the first UA cleats came out and 2 out of 3 pairs came back. I was getting heated so Istopped selling em, only Nike.

When I was working at a sporting goods store a few years back, when the first UA cleats came out and 2 out of 3 pairs came back. I was getting heated so I stopped selling em, only Nike.

umm... Nike has been around for like 50 years, Under Armour has been around for 10. obviously Nike is gonna be more established right now, but UA is one of thefastest expanding companies in the nation.

and Nike does NOT own UA in every department. maybe shoes, because they just started that like 2 years ago. but what else does UA do that Nike does better?

(okay, so maybe i do own a few shares of UA stock, but just answer the question)

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

When I was working at a sporting goods store a few years back, when the first UA cleats came out and 2 out of 3 pairs came back. I was getting heated so I stopped selling em, only Nike.

umm... Nike has been around for like 50 years, Under Armour has been around for 10. obviously Nike is gonna be more established right now, but UA is one of the fastest expanding companies in the nation.

and Nike does NOT own UA in every department. maybe shoes, because they just started that like 2 years ago. but what else does UA do that Nike does better?

(okay, so maybe i do own a few shares of UA stock, but just answer the question)

You have a point there, UA stock is certainly
eek.gif

First off, let me say I do agree with your age assessment, if you will. Nike was established in 1972, and Under Armour in 1996. So Nike is certainly olderand wiser. I don't think it's fair to put them on the same level regarding overall quality in that matter.

Nike does so many things, and in my opinion they do most of them well.
-Shoes
-Apparel
-Performance material
-Equipment

While UA certainly has great performance material, but I am not a big fan of their shoes (style or performance), regular apparel, and any equipment theymake.
A lot of people are not aware of how Under Armour got their claim to fame. The materials they use are nothing new, they have been around for a fewdecades now. But the way they marketed and advertised their product brought it mainstream success.
All in all, I think it comes down to personal preference. And for me personally, I like Nike (I do own some UA tech tees though).

Hold on to those stocks, bro, they will continue to pay dividends.
pimp.gif

I love this for the simple fact that on the day UA went public, I scooped up 1000 shares and I made a killing.
pimp.gif

Maybe it's not so bad after all. If it came down to Nike just not offering as much money or as extensive of an outfitting deal, I will definitely take thisdeal as an improvement.

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The University of Hawai'i athletic department announced a breakthrough eight-year, $4.1 million apparel contract with Under Armour during a press conference at the Stan Sheriff Center today.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]According to the announcement, UH is to receive $2.4 million in products for athletes, coaches and staff, $1.68 million in cash, including $1.14 million in rights fees and a minimum of $540,000 in marketing support.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]In the first year UH is to receive goods and cash valued at $440,000 - $125,000 in rights fees, $225,000 in product allowances, $20,000 in coaches' apparel, $10,000 in staff apparel, $10,000 in camp apparel and $50,000 in marketing support.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]People involved have described the eight-year deal as "incredible" for UH, which has never before had as comprehensive a deal.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"We're thrilled to add Hawai'i to the very select list of football programs we're outfitting," said Kevin Plank, chairman and CEO of Under Armour.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"We identified UH as a team we wanted to outfit with our state-of-the-art performance apparel, uniforms and footwear and we look forward to giving their (players) an advantage on the field while also using the relationship to showcase our latest innovations in footwear, uniform designs, fabrics and textiles," Plank said in a press release.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"This is certainly a landmark deal for UH athletics," interim athletic director Carl Clapp said.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"Under Armour offers quality line of football products and our players will be thrilled to wear its apparel," said UH football coach Greg McMackin.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The deal, which Under Armour characterized as "multi-faceted," will begin in July and is said to provide UH athletic teams with apparel and footwear and will also bring the athletic department a cash payment in addition to marketing. Under Armour will become a platinum sponsor of UH. Platinum sponsorship-level status normally involve cash or trade in excess of $100,000.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The agreement is the result of bidding among several major companies, reportedly including Russell Athletic and Nike, and follows the football team's appearance in the New Year's Day Sugar Bowl and Top 20 finish in the polls.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]UH is one of a handful of universities with significant deal with Under Armour, a 12-year old Maryland-based manufacturer. Auburn, Maryland, South Carolina and Texas Tech also have major agreements with the firm.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]UH's current deal with Nike expires in May.[/font]

No big thing I mean the support for UH has been so sparse through the years and until last year the stores would hardly carry any UH gear anyway so themchanging to UA seems like no big deal.

Back
Top Bottom