Barack Obama heads ...

I pose a question .

I have this Black Culture , Identity ,&nd Performance &nd we were discussing African vs. Black Americans .

We all know that Barack Obama is a half white , half AFRICAN man .

My teacher then went on to say that if Barack Obama was half white ,
half BLACK man he would have had VERY slim chances to becoming the President of the United States of America .

Does anyone here agree with this ?

sidebar : my teacher is black &nd in her 50's , knows angela davis , all that .

Seems to me that just about everyone sees him as half white/ half black...

I dont usually say oh hes half white and half AFRICAN!

Dont agree.. as we have seen, you don't have to be a white man to get elected as president.

my teacher told me I was never going to finish junior highschool......I'm a college student now

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

What was your teacher's logic in saying that?
She was saying that because he is AFRICAN and not BLACK he was elected , but that makes no sense to me .

As much as we try to differentiate things ... to the white man we are still BLACK no matter where our ancestry traces to .

I swear is it just me or will people do anything to bring african americans down
ae626f62568d4ca236c2d57481fcf672a2b578ac.gif

celebrate history and let the man live and do his job

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

what is a "black accent"?
how rappers talk. Because that's how all black people talk, and act for that matter. That's the great stuff you learn when you takeAfrican American studies classes, just generalization after generalization, after generalization, all negative of course.

But anyways, if Barrack had a less difficult Muslim sounding name that didn't rhyme with the names of 2 of US's biggest foreign enemies in recent yrs,the results wouldn't have even been close

That statement made no sense to me whatsoever! He's an AMERICAN who happens to have a darker complexion than some of his fellow countrymen. I'm lessconcerned with his skin color than with his character and political policies. Isn't that all that really matters anyways?

your teacher sounds like an idiot. a lot of people either dont know, or dont recognize that hes even bi-racial. obama wouldve had a slim chance of winning hadthe bush administration not ended on such an unpopular note. obama rode the wave of bush hate into the whitehouse. you have to give it to him, hes one of thebest opportunistic politicians ive seen.

Originally Posted by mr delorean

your teacher sounds like an idiot. a lot of people either dont know, or dont recognize that hes even bi-racial. obama wouldve had a slim chance of winning had the bush administration not ended on such an unpopular note. obama rode the wave of bush hate into the whitehouse. you have to give it to him, hes one of the best opportunistic politicians ive seen.
thank you . that was a lecture class and we were arguing for so long , i start to feel wrong , the whole class was against me ...
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Your teacher just wants something to talk about. Got to keep his/her job somehow. Regardless, that question serves absolutely
no purpose.

well at least now we know that its not only white people that are trying to discredit Obama's "blackness" First people wanted to claim that hewasnt black, because he's half white. now she wants to claim he's not black, because he's half African. i wonder what is going to come next

sidenote: i have noticed that some Africans dont like to be called African-American though. what's good with that?

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

Originally Posted by ericberry14

well at least now we know that its not only white people that are trying to discredit Obama's "blackness" First people wanted to claim that he wasnt black, because he's half white. now she wants to claim he's not black, because he's half African. i wonder what is going to come next

sidenote: i have noticed that some Africans dont like to be called African-American though. what's good with that?
because African-American is specifically referring to the American population who descended from slaves....

Africans, being a completely different population of Black people, don't go by the same classification...

gee, this response looks like it should be in the "black history month" post...
laugh.gif
but the thing is it seems to be divisive when africans correct you when you call em african americans.

but seriously what is that teacher's logic behind her statement

She was trying to say that because Obama can date his ancestry back to Africa in like one generation , he was voted in .

As all you guys probably know , I hate using the term African American to refer to Black Americans . So sorry if I confused you guys .

My teacher was saying that because Baracks dad was AFRICAN not AFRICAN AMERICAN (Black) he had a better chance in getting in , you guys following ?

I lost respect for her tho ...
laugh.gif

Sorry for not editing ... on the sidekick
laugh.gif

She was stating that because Obama's ancestry doesn't trace back to enslaved Black Americans he got in office .

I told her she was trying to downplay his blackness and that her point made no sense ,she was hellla mad .
laugh.gif

I hate when student sit in a class and don't question the teacher . Its crazy that college students still think their professors know everything ...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Kneesh

She was trying to say that because Obama can date his ancestry back to Africa in like one generation , he was voted in .

As all you guys probably know , I hate using the term African American to refer to Black Americans . So sorry if I confused you guys .

My teacher was saying that because Baracks dad was AFRICAN not AFRICAN AMERICAN (Black) he had a better chance in getting in , you guys following ?

I lost respect for her tho ...
laugh.gif
if you dont like the term african american then what would you call us?

He won.

The what if factor is null and void. There are bigger things to worry about, yet people still worry themselves with the "He's not blackblack" logic.

Back
Top Bottom