Barry Bonds-esque Earrings back?

Getty Images

Getty Images
Political movements often use fashion as a point of affinity or distinction—see the French Revolution’s sans-culottes or the Zoot Suit Riots—and styles can rise and fall as power shifts. So it is maybe unsurprising that plumed Cavalier hats, slashed doublets, and gaudy, dangly earrings went out of fashion for a while after the execution of their highest-profile proponent by Puritans. They were relegated to the proverbial and literal backwater, associated with sailors until the 20th century. (Harry Styles’ single pearl earring was campy not only in the modern sense: the origins of the term “camp” date to the 17th-century French court, where similar earrings were also worn.)

This is a shame, because dangly earrings do not belong to aristocrats and women; they belong to everyone, because they rule. They swish around and punctuate your steps as you walk and make tiny metallic sounds that only you can hear. They’re like the roller skates of ear jewelry: totally without practical use and extremely fun. When you are wearing a dangly earring, it is impossible to not have a good time.

Getty Images

For pretty much all of history but especially in post-industrial society, men have been scammed out of wearing female-coded items and vice versa, to everyone’s detriment. That’s beginning to change, in part because a record number of adults in the US identify as LGBT and in part because people just like having fun with clothing and are getting wise to the inanity of gender roles. Menswear is sidling up to handbags via chest rigs and cross-body bags, high heels via chunky, stack-heeled Chelsea boots; it is also getting sexier and more feminine. Maybe big dangly earrings are the next frontier. Just like everyone benefits from having a place to put their stuff or gaining the option to look bit taller, the fun of flashy ear jewelry is universal.

“In my world, of course, it don’t matter,” Young Thug said in a Calvin Klein ad in 2016, the one where he opined that “there’s no such thing as gender.” “You could be a gangster with a dress, you could be a gangster with baggy pants.” Or with a big, sparkly, dangly earring—at this point, no one can tell you otherwise

https://www.gq.com/story/dandangly-earrings-rule

i seen em creep up in da summer.. looks horrible in pairs.
Advertisement

All the athletes, especially football players are rocking these around campus.

All the athletes, especially football players are rocking these around campus.

odell-beckham-gq-tgj-600x816.jpg

Dangly joints like these are too much for my taste.

I have been thinking about trying a small hoop though, but only one, as I only have one pierced, which was the norm for men/boys when I was coming up.

Any of you bros rock a single hoop?

Seen Jamie Collins rocking a rope chain in his ear. That was a first for me.

Pats-hg-072619-ph01

seeing some of my OG's struggle to buy one earring, i pierced both as a lad and never looked back.
Yeah that's always been a thing I have to deal with.

I just buy the pair and keep it moving figuring I'm gonna lose the 1st one anyway :lol:

I'm definitely not bout this life. I'll stick to my studs, both ears pierced. I kinda want a nose ring doe, I been thinking about it for a while now.

Ya boy TROY ave in this wave too

Attachments

• 9258C5AC-43A1-4DC0-ADE9-739E2249F109.jpeg
    9258C5AC-43A1-4DC0-ADE9-739E2249F109.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 193
I've thought about getting the hoop earring, ala Mike Jordan.

I've also decided that I am to old to be out here rocking the dangle earring.

Back
Top Bottom