Bartending school

It really depends. In some major cities, the guys who run the major clubs also run these bartending schools. Your pretty much paying fees to be interviewed and surveyed for two weeks. After your completion, they'll evaluate you and reference you to the different club, bar, or restaurant depending on your looks, service, conversation skills, etc. It's like a scouting combine for you sports head.

A lot of people mention barbacking and bussing tables, but that takes way too long. Thats for people who want to make it a career. If you have no hookups, bartending school is the way to go. Just make sure they are credible and have a solid network of partners.

Like everyone said it not hard to mix drinks, most of the time people order well drinks, the stuff on the menu/specials, popular well known cocktails like a Long Island, Margarita, Mojito, etc, or beer.

My votes for save your money. Connections matter most. Fake it till you make it. If they ask if you have bartended before say yes but only private functions.

Also most time its hot girl over any guy. Only guy bartenders are usually the managers or shift leaders.
And to people that say they will do it for acouple hours a week...dont waste your time IF you get a shift you'll work the Monday morning shift or whatever their down time is.

I did bartending school.  I think it was awesome.  You really do learn a lot of stuff.  I figure if you are going to do something do it right.  It is a good way to really learn well how to make the drinks.  Gives you some insight into alky/etc as well.  If you have questions about alky you know nothing about (wine for me) and such it really is helpful.  MOST MOST bartending schools also have a lifetime help you find a job after you "graduate" thing.  Basically, the $400 bucks is for the connections you make.  It is very very unlikely you will get a legitimate real good bartending job right away..but they can definitely help you find a job. From there on out it is just a regular work experience/you making the effort thing to get a position you really want.  If you have to barback while continuing your search that is what you are going to have to do.  The good bartending jobs where you make a lot of money are pretty difficult in terms of speed, knowledge, etc but you can eventually get one if you have the work ethic and desire.  As with everything in life...persistence and work hard.  You'll get what you put into school.

Back
Top Bottom