Bear caught chillin in a hammock

View media item 1006000

In Florida, one could coin a new term for black bears: Pets. Or maybe: Pests.

Some have gotten into the habit, it seems, of visiting neighborhoods there, and on Thursday, one was literally caught hanging around -- in a Daytona Beach man's hammock.

"He got in the hammock like he was a tourist or something," homeowner Vincent James told CNN affiliate WESH. Usually, James is the one lounging on his back in the white rope mesh hanging between two trees.

The bear enjoyed the respite enough to savor it.

He -- or she -- stayed in the hammock for about 20 minutes, said photographer Rafael Torres, who snapped pictures of the bear from 60 feet away. Torres' presence did not seem to disturb the wild animal's repose.

Residents say the bear has been scrounging for food in the neighborhood since Wednesday, ripping through garbage cans and knocking down bird feeders.

Aw, isn't that cute?

Torres and James may have felt bemused by the large, furry chum lumbering in the ranks of chirping birds and foraging squirrels on their lawns, but other Floridians haven't shared their glee.

In April, a black bear attacked a woman in her garage and dragged her out onto the driveway.

She claimed it was a posse of five bears that roughed her up, but authorities said it was only one. But there were a handful of black bears roaming the neighborhood at the time of the attack, they said.

Don't feed the bears!

Wildlife officials also discourage the warm, fuzzy feeling some residents have for the black bears, pointing to the dangers they pose.

Wildlife law enforcement officers arrested an 81-year-old woman from Sebring in February for feeding loads of dog food to bears on her property.

She dished out up to 18 bowls at a time to furry bunches gathered in her yard.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission warned her multiple times to stop, but she would not for fear the animals would starve without her.

Officers were afraid the bears would get hazardously close to humans, and they killed one bear that was frequenting her feedings.

Once a bear feels too at home among people, relocating them doesn't help, the FWC said back then.

It will keep coming back.
Copyright 2014 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Last edited:
In Florida, one could coin a new term for black bears: Pets. Or maybe: Pests.

Some have gotten into the habit, it seems, of visiting neighborhoods there, and on Thursday, one was literally caught hanging around -- in a Daytona Beach man's hammock.

"He got in the hammock like he was a tourist or something," homeowner Vincent James told CNN affiliate WESH. Usually, James is the one lounging on his back in the white rope mesh hanging between two trees.

The bear enjoyed the respite enough to savor it.

He -- or she -- stayed in the hammock for about 20 minutes, said photographer Rafael Torres, who snapped pictures of the bear from 60 feet away. Torres' presence did not seem to disturb the wild animal's repose.

Residents say the bear has been scrounging for food in the neighborhood since Wednesday, ripping through garbage cans and knocking down bird feeders.

Aw, isn't that cute?

Torres and James may have felt bemused by the large, furry chum lumbering in the ranks of chirping birds and foraging squirrels on their lawns, but other Floridians haven't shared their glee.

In April, a black bear attacked a woman in her garage and dragged her out onto the driveway.

She claimed it was a posse of five bears that roughed her up, but authorities said it was only one. But there were a handful of black bears roaming the neighborhood at the time of the attack, they said.

Don't feed the bears!

Wildlife officials also discourage the warm, fuzzy feeling some residents have for the black bears, pointing to the dangers they pose.

Wildlife law enforcement officers arrested an 81-year-old woman from Sebring in February for feeding loads of dog food to bears on her property.

She dished out up to 18 bowls at a time to furry bunches gathered in her yard.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission warned her multiple times to stop, but she would not for fear the animals would starve without her.

Officers were afraid the bears would get hazardously close to humans, and they killed one bear that was frequenting her feedings.

Once a bear feels too at home among people, relocating them doesn't help, the FWC said back then.

It will keep coming back.
Copyright 2014 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
race thread?

Last edited:
how do you get a posse of 5 black bears to stop roughing up a woman?

I don't think this is an L for Florida, if anything, it might be a win.

never thought I'd say that.

why she use the word posse though. 5 black bears roughed her up huh? really? that's what happened? did they make her take it in the face too?

Florida huh? those bears better avoid the hoodie section

everyone knows black bears are the pansies of the bear species

borderline harmless.

Wheres that video of the 65 year old female veterinarian that went into the woods by herself and confronted a black bear just to show how docile they actually are?

it was actually a pretty interesting video

Last edited:
Ki8lsiq.jpg

Docile or not, you don't want them hanging on your property getting comfortable like they are one of the family, that is asking for trouble. That old lady feeding them was stupid. They won't learn until a child gets hurt by one of them.

I visited Daytona Beach about a month ago.  While I was there, I heard about the bear problem.  I knew about the rock pythons, giant lizards, and alligator problem.  But the bear problem was news to me.

anyway  can't stop laughing at that pic tho

I've never heard of a black bear or any bear for that matter being called docile. I'm not saying they are blood thirsty animals but once the become acclimated to being around humans due to feeding or improper waste disposal, you would not want to be near one.

Last edited:
It's only news when a Black bear does it :smh:
If it was a regular grizzly bear, no one would care

Back
Top Bottom