becoming a cop

Well since im assuming your 21 or over since you have to be to become a cop, you should not be worrying about what your "hood" thinks. You gotta growout of that +@## sometime and worry about your life and what you want your kids to have.

wink.gif
thats what I did and now im doing what your about to do. And still get hood love too for some reason.

Originally Posted by Dynamic X

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Originally Posted by jose cansec0

i dunno i think people get all kinds of shid because they work for the cops especially if your from the hood

your HOOD will lose all type of respect for you if you join the force ....trust me.
laugh.gif
caring about respect from people in your hood?
pathetic.
Hey don't make fun of them. These people run their towns. They command much respect.

Are these people going to put clothes on your kids back, or put food on your table?
get lost with that bs

Trying going federal first without going local pd. There's a lot of corruption in local pd all around the country and the pay ain't that great eithercompare to federal. Don't listen to the haters on here. Try www.cbp.gov , federal job ftw during hard economic times.

i dunno i think people get all kinds of shid because they work for the cops especially if your from the hood

your HOOD will lose all type of respect for you if you join the force ....trust me.

Guess what, the hood doesn't pay your bills and feed your family. Swear some of the mentality on this site is laughable. Join the force if youthink you can handle the work. Just don't be a %+@# and abuse your power.

If you're going to be a cop and at least semi be able to deal with it become one in a suburb or something, not in a big city. The pay sucks, you'llbecome something you're not; racist, uncommonly violent, paranoid, a criminal, etc.

From what I've heard cops upstate NY get better pay and benefits than NYC cops who tend to be in much more dangerous environments. If you're gonna be acop do it in a rural area man. Probably one of the most unappreciated jobs out there.

I can answer some questions since I'm a Boston Police Cadet(basically a cop with no gun) ..My weekly pay is $850. (we're getting laid off in julythough)
I have some really cool perks for being a cadet, every friday my Boss gives me his unmarked crown vic PI and he lets me go to the car wash to clean his car up.I also get to drive a marked car once every while. My favorite ones are the marked Ford Explorers and unmarked F150s. It has been one of the coolestexperiences driving a police car. You won't BELIEVE how many people are shook, see brake lights going off as soon as I enter a street
roll.gif
roll.gif

But anyway,Starting salary for the Boston Police Department is approximately 49K. With a associates in CJ, you get a 10% raise, bachelors in CJ you get a 20%,and masters you get a 25% raise in pay off of that 49K. By your 7th year on the force, you're making atleast 65k/year without the bonuses for your degrees.A really good career depending on what city you're in.

Originally Posted by Dynamic X

laugh.gif
caring about respect from people in your hood?
pathetic.
Hey don't make fun of them. These people run their towns. They command much respect.
Are these people going to put clothes on your kids back, or put food on your table?
get lost with that bs

I was kidding... there was that giant hypebeast x Chicago thread where everyone was talking about who "ran" their city, and they arefrom the same cloth.
grin.gif
Of course I don't hate the police.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Might be misinformed but I believe you can retire early and have a good pension plan in Law Enforcement.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03232009/news/regionalnews/retire_20__out_rule__ex_cops_say_160853.htm
[h1]RETIRE '20-&-OUT' RULE, EX-COPS SAY[/h1]
The long-cherished "20 and out" rule that allows cops to collect pensions in their 40s is a relic of the past that should go the way of theneighborhood call box and the six-shot service revolver, retired cops say.

Many retired officers, from detectives to career flatfoots, called Mayor Bloomberg's cost-cutting effort to make new recruits work at least 25 years andreach age 50 before being eligible for a pension a fair compromise during this time of economic crisis.

"I don't consider it unreasonable. People are dying for jobs right now," said Michael Bailey, who retired as a detective in 2007 at the age of43.

Bailey retired exactly 11 days after completing his 20th year on the force the last few years, he said, on an elite counterterrorism team.

He augments his roughly $60,000 yearly pension with a corporate security job that provides a six-figure salary, far more than he earned during his last yearas a cop.

"In the beginning it might seem generous, but that pension is locked in for life. It doesn't grow much," Bailey said. "If you go out andfind a decent job that pays $50,000 you don't have to worry."

He predicted that Bloomberg's proposal would become a reality, especially since the city is projected to be on the hook for as much as $7.8 billion 11percent of the entire projected $70 billion budget by 2013.

"If you go to most major metropolitan cities now, they've all already moved to it," he said of raising the retirement requirement beyond thecurrent 20 years.

"I guarantee the city gets it in three or four years. They will squeeze. The unions used to be powerful; now they are nothing."

There are 10,381 retired NYPD officers between 40 and 49 now collecting pensions. The average pension is $43,000, not including a $12,000 supplement knownas a "Christmas bonus" distributed every December, for regular nondisability service retirees under age 50.

Bloomberg's proposal, which is the subject of negotiations with the Municipal Labor Committee and legislators in Albany, would affect only futureofficers, firefighters and other workers not yet hired.

Additional reporting by Perry Chiaramonte

ive always known that im gonna end up being a cop..i dont know if id be able to do it though cause of all my hatred towards them now

boston police make like 65k/year though..started is like 50k or smoething

staties start off at like 80k

serious $$$$$$ for doing nothing

whats the process like for becoming a pig?

Originally Posted by Diego

%%%! your thread.

lol @ the iss references

aye but yo thnx for all the feedback negative and positive.

im deploying to iraq in jan so it'll be a while.

Originally Posted by scribble253

Trying going federal first without going local pd. There's a lot of corruption in local pd all around the country and the pay ain't that great either compare to federal. Don't listen to the haters on here. Try www.cbp.gov , federal job ftw during hard economic times.

Great advice. My brother is aspiring to be a U.S. Marshall. He'll be a Senior in August and I am helping him set up a few internships and opportunities toadd to his application.

Originally Posted by viiheaven

Joining the NYPD as soon as I get my degree
pimp.gif
degree from where?

i would never work for the NYPD or any other local PD. Can't stand them

Not trying to get in to any details on what I do right now, but i do heavy work.

Depends on where you live, but it's not that easy to become a cop. Here in MN, they want you to have a four year degree (either law enforcement or CJS).Then, most people start off as corrections officers and go from there. My dads friend got a 2 year degree and he's been applying to po dunk PDs in likeNorth Dakota because the bigger jurisdictions in MN won't hire him.

Go border patrol. My uncle has all kinds of crazy stories being in border patrol

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Depends on where you live, but it's not that easy to become a cop. Here in MN, they want you to have a four year degree (either law enforcement or CJS). Then, most people start off as corrections officers and go from there. My dads friend got a 2 year degree and he's been applying to po dunk PDs in like North Dakota because the bigger jurisdictions in MN won't hire him.
you are right

what is sad tho is the PDs who only require a GED... a lot of these areas have gang violence, esp northern VA

Im going to the border patrol , they are in final stages of my application its taken 7months . I cant beat it about 45k first year and within 3 years could beup to 70k . I really just want to get my foot in with the gov and get to a safer job .

When my 3 year contract with my current job is up I'm joining the so in my area I work with officers all day anyway so I said eff I might as well becomeone, and I really wanna try and change the stigma people have against cops especially black people

I hate cops, especially in NYC. I have pretty strong feelings about this...I think that too many of the wrong people are becoming police officers. People whoare not bright at all, feel like their life is going nowhere, don't know what they wanna do, they decide to take a couple of tests and become cops. Thentheyre cops and they do everything wrong and they act like !@%!# and they are just flat out losers who decided to become cops. $!*# is wack, these people aresimply not mature enough to be police.

I spent a night in jail recently for driving with a suspended license...also had a little weed in car but did not get charged for it. Basically, the 2 cops whopulled me over were total jerks. One guy was just @%$@%@$ with me the whole time, cracking stupid #** corny jokes, drove my car to the police station andproceeded to tell me how he "ragged my car all the way here." My point is cops in NYC are not really professionals at all, they are glorified highschool dirtbags who are given a position of power and abuse it too much.

i @%$@%@$ hate cops!

Back
Top Bottom