Becoming a video director

How does someone even get into this field. There are plenty of songs that i hear and have some sick visuals for only to see the video and get something completely uninspired. Hell I dont even own a video camera but im very interested and just wondering how the hell can i even begin to even suggest concepts or bounce ideas off of people who actually do videos.

I've been coming across a few Directors on CL but usually they already have a pretty basic plan or idea down. 

im in the same boat..i have a few dope ideas for some songs as well. im sure theres a NTer that does vids CLCTVE or something like that

Shooting videos?

No idea.

If you have the means, you should build up your portfolio so you can show people what you're doing.

Direct short films and such, or go around your city, shoot for local artist and work from the ground up.

That's my assumption with music videos...
Also, you could try hitting up the artist through the netz. It's so easy to get in touch with artists now a days, not taking advantage of social networks is plain silly and being a lazy *%#.

Like I said, when you hit them up, I'm gonna assume they'll want to see some of your work, so start shooting short films or make sure your idea could sell through a message on facebook
laugh.gif

...go guerrilla style...its 2011 if you got talent and something to say publish yourself.

i know someone that directs music video here in Baltimore, among other things. He started out taking courses in college, but I imagine had interest well before college. He's shot a few videos for some DMV artists - Bossman probably being the biggest. He has a team that has their own equipment, and I'm pretty sure come up with most the ideas for the videos. Also, they do the editing of the videos. But each of those are difficult things, so I'd suggest finding what you're best at - are you an ideas guy? or are you good at putting a vision into form? or do you do well tying the final product together? I think if you're starting out, being able to perform all the tasks on your own, or having a team that can will really help save $. Like dude said above, try a number of different things to show what you can do - music videos, short films, doc series, etc - get your portfolio up and start marketing yourself.

We should start an nt media team for those of you who are interested. It takes hustle and networking. All you need is camcorder and imovie. Op I think you are from NY I live in Philly not far from you. Whoever is in the pa ny area who is interested let's get this thong gone. Hit me up because this is something I want to get into. I just sold my Canon t2i currently looking for a camcorder. The t2i had sick picture tho

Originally Posted by jordanlover34

We should start an nt media team for those of you who are interested. It takes hustle and networking. All you need is camcorder and imovie. Op I think you are from NY I live in Philly not far from you. Whoever is in the pa ny area who is interested let's get this thong gone. Hit me up because this is something I want to get into. I just sold my Canon t2i currently looking for a camcorder. The t2i had sick picture tho

Great idea. Not into video directing but would definitely be a good idea with NT Media. Power in Numbers.

Sorry just completely getting back to this thread but jordanlover34 that def sounds very benificial to all those involved

Yea for anyone involved could be director wise or the business end with marketing etc...I'm down all the way tyisny

"No handouts, 'cause N's don't owe you nothing..."

Pretty much sums it up. You just gotta go out there and do it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom