Best cupcakes in Los Angeles???

So me and my g/f have become recently engaged. And for our wedding, we have decided on cupcakes versus the traditional wedding cake. So this past weekend, we went on a cupcake hunt to find the best cupcakes in LA. Any input on these places or any places you may know of would be greatly appreciated.

Sprinkles Cupcakes (Beverly Hills)- Presentation is great. Frosting is too sweet. Fiance hates them. Off the list.
Crumbs Bakeshop (Beverly Hills)- Cake was dry. Frosting was meh. Presentation was terrible. Off the list.
Yummy Cupcakes (Santa Monica)- These tasted like I could have made these with a box of Betty Crocker from my local Albertsons. Off the list.
Vanilla Cupcakes (Santa Monica)- Cake was moist. Frosting was okay. Nice presentation.
Famous Cupcakes (Beverly Hills)- Skeptical when I first walked in because they are sponsored by the Kardashians. Surprisingly, the best of the day. Moist cake and not too sweet frosting.
Dots (Pasadena)- yet to visit.
Polkatots Cupcakes (Pasadena)- yet to visit
Big Sugar Bakeshop (Studio City)- My favorite of the bunch. Best tasting IMO. Presentation could be better. Frosting is a thin layer on top.
Mrs. Beasley's Cupcakes (Beverly Hills)- yet to visit
Kiss My Bundt (West Hollywood)- yet to visit

Auntie Em's in Eagle Rock.

Maaan, red velvet there?! eriogjoitm so gooooood. I used to go there every so often for cupcakes, but my friend got a red velvet cake there for her birthday. BOMB.

first off congratulations... since you are still looking to pick out a wedding cake i imagine you are not too deep into your wedding planning yet. you can still run.
smile.gif
People been telling me the same thing (run forrest run!) but i tell them I can't, only cause me and my girl just made the last payments with all of our vendors this past week and I love money too much to leave $50K on the table like that.

I'm getting married at the end of the month myself and also explored getting cakes and/or cupcakes from a nice bakery/cupcake shop in the area. After doing some preliminary budgeting we decided against it because a) i probably wont even have time to eat dinner let alone cake and b) i would rather keep the extra $500-1000 in my pocket.

As far as the topic at hand...

A disclaimer first - I am very provincial and really hate to travel out of my area for food. My loose "neighbohood" boundaries are the coast (Santa Monica) to the west, Bev Hills to the east, and Culver City to the south. Therefore my opinion is limited to cupcake shops that are in those areas.

Sprinkles - I gotta agree with your girl. I think the cake here is too dense, I havent been back in years.
Vanilla - One of the 2 cupcake shops I will usually go to if I am in the mood for one. I like the cake here. Like you said, the frosting is not amazing, but it is adequate. I am a big cake guy though. The frosting can be awesome but if you have a dry or dense cake, the entire thing is a FTL.
Susiecakes - In Brentwood by Barrington and San Vicente. Another one of my favorites, but my experience is limited cause I always get the same thing (Red Velvet or the cocount once in awhile). I think the cake here is excellent, the frosting is good... but not amazing. Overall a solid cupcake.
Bluecupcake - This one is a bit of a darkhorse. I dont think they even have a storefront, but this lady comes and sets up a stall at the Century City Farmers Market on Thursdays which is right by my office. The frosting IMO is the one of the best I have found. They have this strawberry cupcake that is FANTASTIC. It may be a bit harder to track down than some of the other ones that actually have a storefront but do not sleep on these. My vote for best cupcake in LA. Check em out at http://www.bluecupcake.com/ (no i am not affiliated with them, I'm just a fat kid who likes cake)

violets cupcakes in pasadena, off of fair oaks and holly, next door greyone (now its a subway)

Let me first off say that the cupcake store I'm going to refer is not in the LA area. It's in Vegas. So it may be far fetched to use this store to get a cake made... but maybe for future reference. (or should you decide last minute to have your wedding in Vegas.)
laugh.gif

The place is called MAD HATTER CUPCAKES.

My wife and I LOVE this place. The only flavor she doesn't like is the Red Velvet, which she says "Sprinkles owns".

The cool part about Mad Hatter is that you can customize your cupcakes... pick and choose cupcake flavors and frosting flavors. So there's endless possibilities.

http://www.madaboutcupcakes.com/index.html

If you can't use them as the provider for your wedding, maybe you can check them out for future reference and tasting.
smile.gif

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. I just got engaged in January and we plan on our engagement lasting probably around a year and 1/2 to 2 years.

I need to hit up Pasadena because I keep hearing great things about Violets from a lot of people.

And Mike, I'll be in LV next month so for sure I'm gonna hit up Mad Hatter!

Hey OP - I've seen you post in the MMA thread in S&T, so I thought you might appreciate this.  This was my surprise wedding cake from my wedding 2 weeks ago.  I had no idea my wife planned this until I walked into the ballroom and saw it at the cake table.  Needless to say, I have the best wife in the world.

Back
Top Bottom