Best pair of sunglasses for 200 bucks or less(roughly)

Needing some new shades, and typically do the Oakley thing because I like their simplicity and the way they fit on my face( wider- not exactly narrow or slim).  Every once awhile I have dabbled in Smith, Spy, etc.,, but didn't have as much success as with the Oakleys.  Before everyone gets started, I know Oakley is largely a recognized "big name" brand, and nothing more/less, so please spare me the lecture.  I am open to expanding my horizons and willing to try something new, so please offer some feedback.  My primary needs are non-athletic or casual but durability is always nice- Polarization isn't mandatory but also nice.  My buddy swears by Maui Jims, and a few others have as well so that is on my radar.  What else do my fellow NT'ers recommend?

Needing some new shades, and typically do the Oakley thing because I like their simplicity and the way they fit on my face( wider- not exactly narrow or slim).  Every once awhile I have dabbled in Smith, Spy, etc.,, but didn't have as much success as with the Oakleys.  Before everyone gets started, I know Oakley is largely a recognized "big name" brand, and nothing more/less, so please spare me the lecture.  I am open to expanding my horizons and willing to try something new, so please offer some feedback.  My primary needs are non-athletic or casual but durability is always nice- Polarization isn't mandatory but also nice.  My buddy swears by Maui Jims, and a few others have as well so that is on my radar.  What else do my fellow NT'ers recommend?

Ray Bans Aviators Polarized. Oakleys arent a good look if you want something that looks casual.

Ray Bans Aviators Polarized. Oakleys arent a good look if you want something that looks casual.

Are you looking to stunt or are you looking for something practical?

If you are looking for something practical, go to Target and pick up a pair for $15-$20. The lenses are the SAME as any pair that costs $100 or more and they will last you just as long.

I thought name brand meant something when it came to shades, but after losing a pair of Ray Bans one week after buying them, I just bought cheap pairs from stores like Target. They work just as well and if I lose it, it doesn't hurt the wallet to replace.

If you are looking for something practical, go to Target and pick up a pair for $15-$20. The lenses are the SAME as any pair that costs $100 or more and they will last you just as long.

I thought name brand meant something when it came to shades, but after losing a pair of Ray Bans one week after buying them, I just bought cheap pairs from stores like Target. They work just as well and if I lose it, it doesn't hurt the wallet to replace.

Originally Posted by GhengesK

Not imperative that I have something flashy or that people even know or care about.  I truly just want something with a great lens and reasonable durability. I completely agree with the last part of your post which is why I typically have a pair of "beaters" around here and there when its simply about having something to protect my eyes.  I realize Oakleys have a more "sporty" look vs. like an aviator or metal framed pair, but for me they are reasonably casual and look ok with many different outfits.  I am not a pair of sunglasses/watch/hat for each of my matching outfits kinda guy if that makes sense.  Typically just wearing khaki pants/shorts and a collared shirt type situation for me.

Originally Posted by GhengesK

Not imperative that I have something flashy or that people even know or care about.  I truly just want something with a great lens and reasonable durability. I completely agree with the last part of your post which is why I typically have a pair of "beaters" around here and there when its simply about having something to protect my eyes.  I realize Oakleys have a more "sporty" look vs. like an aviator or metal framed pair, but for me they are reasonably casual and look ok with many different outfits.  I am not a pair of sunglasses/watch/hat for each of my matching outfits kinda guy if that makes sense.  Typically just wearing khaki pants/shorts and a collared shirt type situation for me.

Polished Black frame, Black Iridium Polarized lens Oakley Frogskins.
oakley-frogskins-polarized-black.jpg

I've found that everything from the Luxottica Group tends to not be as good as the stuff the companies made before being bought out. I have a pair of old aviators from when Ray-Ban was owned by Bausch and Lomb, and those suckers are tanks. Bought a pair 2 years ago and before a year had passed I was forced to buy a glasses repair kit to tighten the hinges. Oakley is pretty much the same way now. The pre buyout stuff is built to last and now the stuff they put out feels cheap.

If you can afford it, pick up a pair of vintage Oakleys or Ray-Bans and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I've found that everything from the Luxottica Group tends to not be as good as the stuff the companies made before being bought out. I have a pair of old aviators from when Ray-Ban was owned by Bausch and Lomb, and those suckers are tanks. Bought a pair 2 years ago and before a year had passed I was forced to buy a glasses repair kit to tighten the hinges. Oakley is pretty much the same way now. The pre buyout stuff is built to last and now the stuff they put out feels cheap.

If you can afford it, pick up a pair of vintage Oakleys or Ray-Bans and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm not into expensive sunglasses. For one thing, I always lose them and second, I hate having to take care of them. With that said, for Christmas, I got a pair of Mosley Tribes Lyndel and they are awesome. I have to baby them, but it's somewhat worth it.
mua8om.jpg

I'm not into expensive sunglasses. For one thing, I always lose them and second, I hate having to take care of them. With that said, for Christmas, I got a pair of Mosley Tribes Lyndel and they are awesome. I have to baby them, but it's somewhat worth it.
mua8om.jpg

Back
Top Bottom