06: Wayne
07: Ye
08: Wayne
09: Jay
10: Ye
11: Drake
12: Drake
13: K. Dot

they have runners up and explanations on the site: http://www.complex.com/music/2013/03/the-best-rapper-alive-every-year-since-1979/

Last edited:
1979: Grandmaster Caz
80: Kurtis Blow
81: Kool Moe Dee
82: Melle Mel
83: Run
84: Run
85: LL Cool J
86: KRS-One
87: Rakim
88: Slick Rick
89: Big Daddy Kane
90: Ice Cube
91: Q-Tip
92: Redman
93: Snoop
94: Nas
95: Biggie
96: GOAT...(2pac)
97: Biggie
98: DMX
99: Jay
2000: Em
01: Jay
02: Em
03: 50
04: T.I.
05: Jeezy
06: Wayne
07: Ye
08: Wayne
09: Jay
10: Ye
11: Drake
12: Drake
13: K. Dot

they have runners up and explanations on the site: http://www.complex.com/music/2013/03/the-best-rapper-alive-every-year-since-1979/
wu-tang snubs galore.....

and how wasn't in Nas's year in 2001? ether?

Last edited:
drake in 2011???
laugh.gif
Flawless track record beginning with Dreams Money Can Buy in May (?) 2011 to present. Come on son.

This list is corny because they have a different "best rapper alive" every year like these dudes died.

Except for the guys that serve a purpose for them today of course.

Rakim put out ill records til' 92 before his comeback.

Can't argue with Cube though.

Chuck D has what many consider the Greatest Album of All Time undr his belt and don't get a nod?

Lupe was at one point IMO the Best Rapper Alive. he should have been SOMEWHERE on this list. probably '07 ahead of 'Ye.

yes, I know he is complete **** now. that is besides the point.

This list is corny because they have a different "best rapper alive" every year like these dudes died.

Except for the guys that serve a purpose for them today of course.

Rakim put out ill records til' 92 before his comeback.

Can't argue with Cube though.

Chuck D has what many consider the Greatest Album of All Time undr his belt and don't get a nod?
i was reading da article, and they covered their ***** with da honorable mentions paragraph..can't front, this whole article is solid.

i was reading da article, and they covered their ***** with da honorable mentions paragraph..can't front, this whole article is solid.

I read it as well. Couldn't help but think that, as you said, Q Tip, Red, as much as I dig those dudes, have never been the Best Rapper Alive though.

All in all they did cover their *****. They showed Treach mad love....and he deserves it.

The fact that i can only argue with about 5 or 6 of the listings....a good list by complex

Id give outkast 2001 i know stankonia came out in 2000 but it was like end of october 2000

Yo. This list is actually on point for once. Bravo Complex.

Guys, Best rapper doesn't mean best lyricist. If that was the case... Lupe, Hov, and Nasir would have had five years each on this list...

this is the stupidest list complex has ever made, just off the name of it alone..

drake being mentioned as the "best rapper alive" is just straight up disrespectful and offensive to so many other great lyricists.

Damn man... I miss the 50 era
I also miss the Slim Shady/Takeover/Ether era

But I'm enjoying watching Kendrick take over right now.

Last edited:
this is the stupidest list complex has ever made, just off the name of it alone..

drake being mentioned as the "best rapper alive" is just straight up disrespectful and offensive to so many other great lyricists.

tweak the title and this is a decent list.

Back
Top Bottom