Better Business School: CSUF or CSULB?

Sup ya'll! Got accepted to both schools, but I wanted to know which school has a better Business program (BA)? My concentration is Info. Systems, btw.

I heard its better to go to LB, for the simple fact that its a well known school compared to Fullerton, and having a BA at a popular school will benefit me inthe long run...Any truth to this?

^ based on what merit? give some feedback instead of just throwing out a baseless claim

on that note, I graduated from CSULB a few years back with a degree in Mgmt Information Systems - E-commerce emphasis just like youre trying to do (I believethe actual degree is a BS in Business Administration with an emphasis in MIS with an emphasis in E-commerce but whos counting). Based on my personal experiencebeing a CSULB alum and having a degree in the field you are looking to get into I would say that it is subpar at best. I have several friends who graduatedfrom CSUF with Business Admin degrees (different emphasis though... marketing, management, no IS) and they spoke highly of the curriculum and program, and forthe most part have been able to parlay those degrees into decent paying gigs.

I thought the MIS curriculum at CSULB wasnt that great because... well I didnt really learn %*@*. To me, it felt like an extension of high school, grades13-16. I did have one or two professors who (in my opinion) were brilliant people and excellent teachers, but by and far I felt the department was mediocre atbest. Im a lazy guy by nature and maybe its because I didnt really push myself in school, but then again... why bother? In hindsight I know that it would havebeen in my best interest to really push myself to learn and do better but when I am churning out A's and B's with limited effort the motivation justwasnt there. Like most college students my priorities were getting good grades, getting ***, and getting high (not necessarily in that order). I should havebeen there to learn life skills and gain knowledge but I was a dumb kid who was just looking at the short term. Upper division classes there were a completejoke. The capstone class you have to take to graduate (I believe it was MGMT 425, not a MIS class but a class that every upperclass CBA student has to take tograduate) was an absolute joke. I went to class probably 6 times all semester (first day to get the syllabus, midterm days, class presentation day, and finals)and I got one of the top 3 grades in the class. Overall I probably attended no more than 25% of my classes. Part of it was cause I was lazy, and part of it wasbecause I hated to sit there listening to ******s asking ******ed questions and wasting everyone elses time. One time some idiot professor tried to call me out(Dr. Levine, he was the Finance Dept Chair at that time) and straight made dude look foolish. Me and my boy were goofin around in class so he said "if youdont want to be here then just leave" We grabbed out stuff and started making a move for the door and he tried to embarrass me in front of the class. Heasked me my name to check my test scores and call me out. I told him I set every curve so far on all the exams and he just stood there lookin like a fool.Which brings me to my next point.

In many of my classes the tests were mutltiple choice, not critical thinking type essay questions. When they were given in essay format they were straightrips, im talking word for effin word right out of the book. People would ask me all the time, hey man how do you study for the tests? how come you do so well?READ THE EFFIN TEXTBOOK. I didnt pay $120 for some book so it could take up space in my bag. My understanding was that college was more about learning out of astupid book. I thought the textbook is supposed to supplement the actual TEACHING by the professor. Not the case. I could have (and basically did) self teachmyself the stuff straight out of the book. There was no elaboration on the matter in lectures, or further discussion about it. Any monkey could teach the waysome of those professors taught.

If you do end up going to CSULB dont say I didnt warn you. If you do end up going into MIS watch out for this pompous woman professor (forgot what her name is)if she is still there. Shes leggy and decent looking as far as middle aged women go but very high horse my poop dont stink. She will mention that her father isone of the foremost experts in the Information Systems field. She will also mention her undying love for Sooner Football and everything Oklahoma related. Ifyou happen to get this professor, get out... trust me.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

^ based on what merit? give some feedback instead of just throwing out a baseless claim

on that note, I graduated from CSULB a few years back with a degree in Mgmt Information Systems - E-commerce emphasis just like youre trying to do (I believe the actual degree is a BS in Business Administration with an emphasis in MIS with an emphasis in E-commerce but whos counting). Based on my personal experience being a CSULB alum and having a degree in the field you are looking to get into I would say that it is subpar at best. I have several friends who graduated from CSUF with Business Admin degrees (different emphasis though... marketing, management, no IS) and they spoke highly of the curriculum and program, and for the most part have been able to parlay those degrees into decent paying gigs.

I thought the MIS curriculum at CSULB wasnt that great because... well I didnt really learn %*@*. To me, it felt like an extension of high school, grades 13-16. I did have one or two professors who (in my opinion) were brilliant people and excellent teachers, but by and far I felt the department was mediocre at best. Im a lazy guy by nature and maybe its because I didnt really push myself in school, but then again... why bother? In hindsight I know that it would have been in my best interest to really push myself to learn and do better but when I am churning out A's and B's with limited effort the motivation just wasnt there. Like most college students my priorities were getting good grades, getting ***, and getting high (not necessarily in that order). I should have been there to learn life skills and gain knowledge but I was a dumb kid who was just looking at the short term. Upper division classes there were a complete joke. The capstone class you have to take to graduate (I believe it was MGMT 425, not a MIS class but a class that every upperclass CBA student has to take to graduate) was an absolute joke. I went to class probably 6 times all semester (first day to get the syllabus, midterm days, class presentation day, and finals) and I got one of the top 3 grades in the class. Overall I probably attended no more than 25% of my classes. Part of it was cause I was lazy, and part of it was because I hated to sit there listening to ******s asking ******ed questions and wasting everyone elses time. One time some idiot professor tried to call me out (Dr. Levine, he was the Finance Dept Chair at that time) and straight made dude look foolish. Me and my boy were goofin around in class so he said "if you dont want to be here then just leave" We grabbed out stuff and started making a move for the door and he tried to embarrass me in front of the class. He asked me my name to check my test scores and call me out. I told him I set every curve so far on all the exams and he just stood there lookin like a fool. Which brings me to my next point.

In many of my classes the tests were mutltiple choice, not critical thinking type essay questions. When they were given in essay format they were straight rips, im talking word for effin word right out of the book. People would ask me all the time, hey man how do you study for the tests? how come you do so well? READ THE EFFIN TEXTBOOK. I didnt pay $120 for some book so it could take up space in my bag. My understanding was that college was more about learning out of a stupid book. I thought the textbook is supposed to supplement the actual TEACHING by the professor. Not the case. I could have (and basically did) self teach myself the stuff straight out of the book. There was no elaboration on the matter in lectures, or further discussion about it. Any monkey could teach the way some of those professors taught.

If you do end up going to CSULB dont say I didnt warn you. If you do end up going into MIS watch out for this pompous woman professor (forgot what her name is) if she is still there. Shes leggy and decent looking as far as middle aged women go but very high horse my poop dont stink. She will mention that her father is one of the foremost experts in the Information Systems field. She will also mention her undying love for Sooner Football and everything Oklahoma related. If you happen to get this professor, get out... trust me.

Good luck.
LOL. Wow, I wished I had your will power to read the book. I'm totally opposite of you in that I'd rather attend the class than read the book.I hate reading, I've always hated reading since a kid, I'm more of a visual/auditory learner and some of these professors at CSULB are exactly likewhat you described. As far as recommending CSULB goes for the poster, I didn't go to Fullerton. I don't know anyone that graduated from their businessprogram from there so I can't make a judgement. CSULB is good, not great imo. I sometimes feel I don't get my moneys worth (and us Cali folks arepaying a very cheap tuition). Mojodmonk1, do you recommend any good professors or at least any easy ones
laugh.gif
. I'm a marketing major btw.

on that note, I graduated from CSULB a few years back with a degree in Mgmt Information Systems - E-commerce emphasis just like youre trying to do (I believe the actual degree is a BS in Business Administration with an emphasis in MIS with an emphasis in E-commerce but whos counting). Based on my personal experience being a CSULB alum and having a degree in the field you are looking to get into I would say that it is subpar at best. I have several friends who graduated from CSUF with Business Admin degrees (different emphasis though... marketing, management, no IS) and they spoke highly of the curriculum and program, and for the most part have been able to parlay those degrees into decent paying gigs.

I thought the MIS curriculum at CSULB wasnt that great because... well I didnt really learn %*@*. To me, it felt like an extension of high school, grades 13-16. I did have one or two professors who (in my opinion) were brilliant people and excellent teachers, but by and far I felt the department was mediocre at best. Im a lazy guy by nature and maybe its because I didnt really push myself in school, but then again... why bother? In hindsight I know that it would have been in my best interest to really push myself to learn and do better but when I am churning out A's and B's with limited effort the motivation just wasnt there. Like most college students my priorities were getting good grades, getting ***, and getting high (not necessarily in that order). I should have been there to learn life skills and gain knowledge but I was a dumb kid who was just looking at the short term. Upper division classes there were a complete joke. The capstone class you have to take to graduate (I believe it was MGMT 425, not a MIS class but a class that every upperclass CBA student has to take to graduate) was an absolute joke. I went to class probably 6 times all semester (first day to get the syllabus, midterm days, class presentation day, and finals) and I got one of the top 3 grades in the class. Overall I probably attended no more than 25% of my classes. Part of it was cause I was lazy, and part of it was because I hated to sit there listening to ******s asking ******ed questions and wasting everyone elses time. One time some idiot professor tried to call me out (Dr. Levine, he was the Finance Dept Chair at that time) and straight made dude look foolish. Me and my boy were goofin around in class so he said "if you dont want to be here then just leave" We grabbed out stuff and started making a move for the door and he tried to embarrass me in front of the class. He asked me my name to check my test scores and call me out. I told him I set every curve so far on all the exams and he just stood there lookin like a fool. Which brings me to my next point.

In many of my classes the tests were mutltiple choice, not critical thinking type essay questions. When they were given in essay format they were straight rips, im talking word for effin word right out of the book. People would ask me all the time, hey man how do you study for the tests? how come you do so well? READ THE EFFIN TEXTBOOK. I didnt pay $120 for some book so it could take up space in my bag. My understanding was that college was more about learning out of a stupid book. I thought the textbook is supposed to supplement the actual TEACHING by the professor. Not the case. I could have (and basically did) self teach myself the stuff straight out of the book. There was no elaboration on the matter in lectures, or further discussion about it. Any monkey could teach the way some of those professors taught.

If you do end up going to CSULB dont say I didnt warn you. If you do end up going into MIS watch out for this pompous woman professor (forgot what her name is) if she is still there. Shes leggy and decent looking as far as middle aged women go but very high horse my poop dont stink. She will mention that her father is one of the foremost experts in the Information Systems field. She will also mention her undying love for Sooner Football and everything Oklahoma related. If you happen to get this professor, get out... trust me.

Good luck.
LOL. Wow, I wished I had your will power to read the book. I'm totally opposite of you in that I'd rather attend the class than read the book.I hate reading, I've always hated reading since a kid, I'm more of a visual/auditory learner and some of these professors at CSULB are exactly likewhat you described. As far as recommending CSULB goes for the poster, I didn't go to Fullerton. I don't know anyone that graduated from their businessprogram from there so I can't make a judgement. CSULB is good, not great imo. I sometimes feel I don't get my moneys worth (and us Cali folks arepaying a very cheap tuition). Mojodmonk1, do you recommend any good professors or at least any easy ones
laugh.gif

I go to CSUF but am not in the business department.

However, I do know that we are getting a new state of the art business building that looks bananas. I believe it's opening in the fall of '08.

From what I hear, CSUF's business department is one of the better departments at school and will only continue to thrive once this building opens up.

Originally Posted by welcometothetonezone

Good luck.
LOL. Wow, I wished I had your will power to read the book. I'm totally opposite of you in that I'd rather attend the class than read the book. I hate reading, I've always hated reading since a kid, I'm more of a visual/auditory learner and some of these professors at CSULB are exactly like what you described. As far as recommending CSULB goes for the poster, I didn't go to Fullerton. I don't know anyone that graduated from their business program from there so I can't make a judgement. CSULB is good, not great imo. I sometimes feel I don't get my moneys worth (and us Cali folks are paying a very cheap tuition). Mojodmonk1, do you recommend any good professors or at least any easy ones
laugh.gif
I'm with you, only read one text book ever for POSC326 and I had to force myself. I just usually go to class, take really good notes, and hardlyditch unless the class is BS (and I don't mean the degree), but wow never knew this much about the business program at my school...on the otherhand I'man art major and spend a majority of my day on the upper end of campus. Haven't heard too much negativity from my business friends, but then again I hearsome "educated" term and I'm already lost
laugh.gif

Thanks for the input everyone, and thanks to mojod for breaking down CSULB
laugh.gif

If i go to CSUF, ill need to dorm though. So if i get a room, CSUF it will be.

Back
Top Bottom