Billy Hunter thinks entire 2011-2012 season will be canceled

pmatic posted this in the CBA talks but I thought it deserved it's own thread since alot of people don't come in thereNBA season likely to be canceled, union chief says at seminar[h2]At conference in Baltimore, Hunter says gap in negotiations is $800M a year[/h2]
By Jeff Barker, The Baltimore Sun
10:32 p.m. EDT, August 3, 2011

NBA Players Association executive director Billy Hunter said Wednesday that if he "had to bet on it," he would wager that the entire 2011-12 season would be wiped out by the lockout.

"We're $800 million apart per year," Hunter told about 200 people during a seminar at a conference in Baltimore of the National Bar Association, an organization of predominantly African-American lawyers and judges.

The union chief said NBA commissioner David Stern was being limited in negotiations by hard-line owners.

"The circumstances have changed among his constituency," said Hunter, the executive director since 1996. "In the last six or seven years, there is a new group of owners to come in who paid a premium for their franchises, and what they're doing is kind of holding his feet to the fire."

Because negotiators are dug in, Hunter said "something has to happen that both of us can use as leverage to save face."

Asked by a conference attendee whether there would be a 2011-12 season, he replied: "If I had to bet on it at this moment, I would probably say no."

The NBA had no immediate response after being apprised of Hunter's comments, spokesman Tim Frank said.

The lockout began July 1. The NBA believes the economic model needs to change because, it says, 22 of its 30 teams are unprofitable. Among other changes, owners want to significantly reduce the players' share of basketball revenue from 57 percent.

"We agreed to go from 57 to 54," Hunter said.

Hunter was chatty and informal in his comments, encouraging audience members to ask difficult questions and saying he would be as candid as he could. The seminar's moderator said he would discourage questions about Hunter's private negotiating strategy. But Hunter commented on a variety of subjects, including a report — denied by the NBA — that Stern makes as much as $23 million a year.

"I think it's somewhat ironic. It's inconsistent to me" if Stern makes that much, Hunter said. While the NBA won't disclose executives' salaries, the $23 million has been disputed by the league and in media reports.

During the seminar, Hunter sat on a couch in a downtown hotel ballroom next to NFL Players Associationexecutive director DeMaurice Smith. Last month, NFL players settled a 41/2-month labor dispute with owners.

"Billy is where I was two years ago," Smith said. The NFL labor battle "was a very long and extremely public fight. Our young men demonstrated a tremendous amount of resolve," Smith said.

Hunter said NBA players were also united. Of players' signing deals with overseas teams, he said: "I don't encourage them to go. We're not going to stand in their way.'

On Wednesday, Jordan Farmar of the New Jersey Nets became the latest player to head for the European leagues, joining former Nets teammates Deron Williams and Sasha Vujacic, according to multiple reports.

The NBA on Tuesday filed claims against the players association in federal court and with the National Relations Labor Relations Board. The league says the union has not been negotiating in good faith.

"We just don't have as much time as the NFL did," Stern told the Associated Press. "If the union sort of continued to drag its feet and then pursued its preferred decertification strategy, and if the same 41/2 months went by, we'd be well into our season."

The league said its latest proposal would keep average salaries of at least $5 million.

Hunter said owners initially demanded that "we give them back a billion dollars a year," and then it came down to $900 million.

"A month and a half ago, we gave them a proposal that we would give them back $100 million per year," the union chief said. "The gap is far between us."

Trevor Booker just signed a contract to play pro-ball in Israel. This *@%* is real. It's NOTHING like what the NFL went through....this is much worse.

Next pro game will be in 2012-13. It sucks so much because this was one of the better NBA seasons the league has had in some time.

No disrespect to NBA fans but this will not hit home until Feb when the NFL season is over.. Especially because many fans of the NBA are also fans of the NFL which is at the peak of it's popularity in American sports.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Trevor Booker just signed a contract to play pro-ball in Israel. This *@%* is real. It's NOTHING like what the NFL went through....this is much worse.

Next pro game will be in 2012-13. It sucks so much because this was one of the better NBA seasons the league has had in some time.

I think it is just great that we won't have a season next year. One less opportunity for Lebron James to win a title on the Heat. The Dallas Mavericks get another year of celebration. We get to watch some international ball where players actually run plays and can shoot.

yeah but it's also one less year of Kobe, Garnett, Nash, Duncan. Which is sad.

wonder how this effects teams like the nets, magic, and hornets. Can't even legally hold a meeting to convince your star player to come back. can't make any powerhouse moves.

as much as I hated on melo... it seems he may have been right. He has his financial security and no mystery or headache for the next year

Originally Posted by foxdawg2000

No disrespect to NBA fans but this will not hit home until Feb when the NFL season is over.. Especially because many fans of the NBA are also fans of the NFL which is at the peak of it's popularity in American sports.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
True but I think most of thought that the season would be canceled anyways, at least I did. I think the owners are gonna stand tough on what they want.

man.. this sucks.. especially after the great playoffs that just took place

so much truth
tired.gif
...we got smethn to keep our minds off of it for now, but once bowl season, nfl playoffs, and ncaa conf champs. roll around................
indifferent.gif

this %@!% is ugly....greedy bastards

Feburary will be hell. It's gonna be like it is now in August with nothing but baseball. Except it'll be cold as heck.

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

Owners are definitely not going to cave in.
THIS. The owners really want the players to bend over backwards and make every single concession. The players could offer to go to a 50/50 split of revenue and the owners would still scoff at that. Just despicable that they are going to nuke the league when it's getting back so many fans.

I didn't think either side could be that dumb to lose games after how good last season was (and really the previous three seasons too). Looks like they'll prove me wrong.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Its strange but no part of me cares.
Word...& I'm a HUGE NBA fan. Idk...maybe it'll hit me around November. I'm more a fan of NCAA ball so I'll be fine. It would suck though...can't lie.

This news is disheartening, but not surprising at all.

No disrespect to NBA fans but this will not hit home until Feb when the NFL season is over.

I love both the NBA and NFL and while the NFL will lessen the blow of potentially losing an NBA season, I'll definitely be feeling it when the NBA season is scheduled to begin in November.

not when you have league pass.

NBA league pass + NFL sundays = the best of both worlds

too many of these hockey owners in the NBA trying to impose their will. As if they don't remember how they made hockey fall out of the top 4

Trust that what Hunter really thinks deep down is probably not going to be discussed in public. It's all a verbal back and forth using the media as pawns.

That's not to say the NBA won't be lost for a year, we all know there's a good chance of that. But we also don't know what emergency meetings or offers can come up in the coming weeks and months. We just don't know yet, although it ain't lookin real good LOL.

I just hope if they DO lose an entire season then they get something hammered down that benefits everyone and even the fan. You lose a season you BETTER have a good reason and end result. And not something both sides don't really like and could have also been agreed on a year earlier.

The NBA seems like they have finally gotten back on their feet, finally have a handful of marketable stars, growing interest, coming off the best season in ages and they are going to completely *+@@ this up by cancelling the season.  I generally support Stern but to me this is on him and is a huge black mark on his tenure.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

The NBA seems like they have finally gotten back on their feet, finally have a handful of marketable stars, growing interest, coming off the best season in ages and they are going to completely *+@@ this up by cancelling the season.  I generally support Stern but to me this is on him and is a huge black mark on his tenure.

He has two lock outs on his tenure... @#!%%#% sad
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

Owners are definitely not going to cave in.
THIS. The owners really want the players to bend over backwards and make every single concession. The players could offer to go to a 50/50 split of revenue and the owners would still scoff at that. Just despicable that they are going to nuke the league when it's getting back so many fans.
truer words haven't been spoken

I think owners should be careful. Basketball is globally popular. The nfl is not.

Talbert

Back
Top Bottom