Bipolar disorder or anxiety disorder. anyone else deal with it?

One of my roommates in college had a combination of schizophrenia/bipolar. He'd be yelling in his room at 2 o clock in the morning . I just thought maybe he was playing a video game with people over the web and was talking trash.

So as we go into 2nd year he disappears for like 5 days. And im starting to notice some weird stuff. He'd be talking to himself as he walked through the hallways. He'd flick his cigarette butts in the bathtub, kitchen sink and pantry cabinets. Then one day a social worker and a cop showed up at the apartment cause he was threatening to blow up parents house and sending inappropriate texts to his aunt's and both grandmas (D pics).

It turns out the 5 days he was MIA he had gotten Baker acted (5150 hold) and put in a psych ward cause he was having audio visual hallucinations. He left out the apartment in handcuffs and a couple days later the landlord brought in a moving crew to clean out his room, and he had bomb making diagrams. As far as I know he spent 60 days in jail for aggravated menacing/terroristic threats. Never seen dude again, but he was generally a cool dude aside from that...

One of my roommates in college had a combination of schizophrenia/bipolar. He'd be yelling in his room at 2 o clock in the morning . I just thought maybe he was playing a video game with people over the web and was talking trash.

So as we go into 2nd year he disappears for like 5 days. And im starting to notice some weird stuff. He'd be talking to himself as he walked through the hallways. He'd flick his cigarette butts in the bathtub, kitchen sink and pantry cabinets. Then one day a social worker and a cop showed up at the apartment cause he was threatening to blow up parents house and sending inappropriate texts to his aunt's and both grandmas (D pics).

It turns out the 5 days he was MIA he had gotten Baker acted (5150 hold) and put in a psych ward cause he was having audio visual hallucinations. He left out the apartment in handcuffs and a couple days later the landlord brought in a moving crew to clean out his room, and he had bomb making diagrams. As far as I know he spent 60 days in jail for aggravated menacing/terroristic threats. Never seen dude again, but he was generally a cool dude aside from that...
You are fairly interesting.

haha nothing like that here. just get really bad anxiety in certain situations. Sometimes ill go into a manic episode and buy a bunch of stuff i don't need or download a ton of music/games. What you described is like that Center who played for the Raiders back in the 2000's. Dude went off his meds, thought they beat the bucs in the superbowl and went down to mexico to celebrate. got back in time for the real game but was hallucinating and such. That or some kanye type behavior.

Last edited:
My middle Brother is Bipolar.

Growing up as his little brother was...interesting.

He's much better as he's gotten older but I can still tell when he doesn't take his meds.

I myself suffer from anxiety...but learning to cope / manage.

Had no idea there were even names for this stuff until well into adulthood.

A lot of terms get thrown around by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Just because people are bipolar doesn't mean they are "bad" or "crazy", at all.

Last edited:
haha nothing like that here. just get really bad anxiety in certain situations. Sometimes ill go into a manic episode and buy a bunch of **** i don't need or download a ton of music/games. What you described is like that Center who played for the Raiders back in the 2000's. Dude went off his meds, thought they beat the bucs in the superbowl and went down to mexico to celebrate. got back in time for the real game but was hallucinating and ****. That or some kanye type behavior.
Would the bipolar in the Silver Linings Playbook be better representation of yours? My friend's (brother & sister) mother had bd. Like she had a closet & dresser full of pills she didn't take. She drank alcohol instead & b/t that & not taking her meds she was mad abusive, specifically towards the brother. It's like I knew it was wrong, my homie would have tears streaming down his face, I've seen her hit him, & all that bs, but it was so normal that I didn't start thinking about until the last few years. I believe all these internalizing stuff like that has given me anxiety to a degree. Yelling emits sensory overload, & sometimes I even find & catch myself getting aggressive from it. I almost always keep w/ headphones as some type of comfort item. I'm a fairly of cold person. And not like evil or some ****, just like distant. I even brush off my own feelings. I haven't cried since I was a teen. I've tried, but nothing happens. It's so pathetic that it makes me laugh.

Would the bipolar in the Silver Linings Playbook be better representation of yours? My friend's (brother & sister) mother had bd. Like she had a closet & dresser full of pills she didn't take. She drank alcohol instead & b/t that & not taking her meds she was mad abusive, specifically towards the brother. It's like I knew it was wrong, my homie would have tears streaming down his face, I've seen her hit him, & all that bs, but it was so normal that I didn't start thinking about until the last few years. I believe all these internalizing stuff like that has given me anxiety to a degree. Yelling emits sensory overload, & sometimes I even find & catch myself getting aggressive from it. I almost always keep w/ headphones as some type of comfort item. I'm a fairly of cold person. And not like evil or some ****, just like distant. I even brush off my own feelings. I haven't cried since I was a teen. I've tried, but nothing happens. It's so pathetic that it makes me laugh.
I haven't seen that flick in awhile..but i remember relating with the main character though(minus the violence). I yell sometimes but def not violent. Pretty chill. Don't drink. Prob self medicate with weed/dabs more than i should. Trying to treat my body and mind better now though.

My middle Brother is Bipolar.

Growing up as his little brother was...interesting.

He's much better as he's gotten older but I can still tell when he doesn't take his meds.

I myself suffer from anxiety...but learning to cope / manage.

Had no idea there were even names for this stuff until well into adulthood.

A lot of terms get thrown around by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Just because people are bipolar doesn't mean they are "bad" or "crazy", at all.
my brother has bp1 vs me having bp2. i can def tell when he's manic and not on his meds. hard to be around him like that.

my brother has bp1 vs me having bp2. i can def tell when he's manic and not on his meds. hard to be around him like that.

Facts.

Interestingly we have become super close to the point where I kinda know how to reach him even when he's off his meds...sometimes.

Not that I could do anything when his mind is made up though.

Gotta let him rock, hope for the best, and stay out the way at that point.

We do our best.

Facts.

Interestingly we have become super close to the point where I kinda know how to reach him even when he's off his meds...sometimes.

Not that I could do anything when his mind is made up though.

Gotta let him rock, hope for the best, and stay out the way at that point.

We do our best.
i just started talking to mine again after 2 years. we're still pretty cold. hopin it gets better.

BP 2 here, what the poster described up about his roommate is definitely more in line with schizophrenia behavior.

In my case, it manifests more in how someone would externally view my energy levels. One week I’m very energetic, willing to try new things, very high/grandiose opinion of myself, high sex drive. The next week I’m low energy, eating things repetitively, thinking I’m never going to amount to anything. As for my manic tendencies, if you see me posting in a thread you haven’t seen me in before, you may be witnessing me in a manic phase. Overall, medication and therapy have put me in a manageable place to live my life.

i just started talking to mine again after 2 years. we're still pretty cold. hopin it gets better.

Took many years to get here...lots of support from Family and personal growth.

One day at a time.

Once I realized it aint personal I was able to let go of A LOT of stuff and see him for who he is vs what he does.

It aint easy but its worth it and I love him.

Again, one day at a time.

The tough part is the balance between loving them and loving yourself enough to know where to draw the line.

Funny thing is the more I learned to forgive myself - the more I learned to forgive others...but that dont mean we forget.

BP 2 here, what the poster described up about his roommate is definitely more in line with schizophrenia behavior.

In my case, it manifests more in how someone would externally view my energy levels. One week I’m very energetic, willing to try new things, very high/grandiose opinion of myself, high sex drive. The next week I’m low energy, eating things repetitively, thinking I’m never going to amount to anything. As for my manic tendencies, if you see me posting in a thread you haven’t seen me in before, you may be witnessing me in a manic phase. Overall, medication and therapy have put me in a manageable place to live my life.
really relate to a lot of that man. I tend to talk fast and take on projects when manic too. Last week i was all about eating better(still trying) and was all over the dating apps. this week i/m veggin in my room smokin, playin ps5, having to take a ton of benzos for anxiety and tonight eating enchiladas.

Took many years to get here...lots of support from Family and personal growth.

One day at a time.

Once I realized it aint personal I was able to let go of A LOT of stuff and see him for who he is vs what he does.

It aint easy but its worth it and I love him.

Again, one day at a time.

The tough part is the balance between loving them and loving yourself enough to know where to draw the line.

Funny thing is the more I learned to forgive myself - the more I learned to forgive others...but that dont mean we forget.
yea we had a big argument 4th of july 2019. things came to a head and we just stopped talking. he's 10 years older than me and was an abusive heroin addict when i was growing up so i have a lot to forget...trying though.

bro, please talk with someone and get to the root cause of it. I’ve been the same way for many years, and as a 37 year old man I just had a major break down.Years of suppressing emotions will manifest itself in a way that you may end up regretting. If no one else, ill listen.

:wow:

bro, please talk with someone and get to the root cause of it. I’ve been the same way for many years, and as a 37 year old man I just had a major break down.Years of suppressing emotions will manifest itself in a way that you may end up regretting. If no one else, ill listen.
had a breakdown myself in 2018 and late last year. glad you are ok man.

yea we had a big argument 4th of july 2019. things came to a head and we just stopped talking. he's 10 years older than me and was an abusive heroin addict when i was growing up so i have a lot to forget...trying though.

BRUH!

My Brother is 10 years older than me too. This is wild!

When I was a kid he told me to touch an iron and laughed his *** off when I burned my hand.

Asked me if I knew what a "slam dunk" was then proceeded to hold my head under water in the bathtub - ergo the "dunk".

This was before I was 6. Got stories for days.

You aren't alone Fam!

I cant imagine adding heroin to the mix .

In a way that's even more reason why it aint personal.

We dont have to forget - but we dont have to own it either.

What they did to us has nothing to do with us - if that makes sense.

Severe anxiety which has led to bouts of depression and tons of self doubt. Has kept me away from reaching goals. Worst part is those closest to me tell me I'm making it all up for attention. It is what it is.

Severe anxiety which has led to bouts of depression and tons of self doubt. Has kept me away from reaching goals. Worst part is those closest to me tell me I'm making it all up for attention. It is what it is.
damn man sorry to hear your fam and friends are saying that. thats kinda messed up.

damn man sorry to hear your fam and friends are saying that. thats kinda messed up.
The stigma around mental illness is real. I know they support me and want the best for me, but just don't to believe one of their own suffers from it. Just a weird way for them to deal with it themselves. I get it and have learned to live with it.

BRUH!

My Brother is 10 years older than me too. This is wild!

When I was a kid he told me to touch an iron and laughed his *** off when I burned my hand.

Asked me if I knew what a "slam dunk" was then proceeded to hold my head under water in the bathtub - ergo the "dunk".

This was before I was 6. Got stories for days.

You aren't alone Fam!

I cant imagine adding heroin to the mix .

In a way that's even more reason why it aint personal.

We dont have to forget - but we dont have to own it either.

What they did to us has nothing to do with us - if that makes sense.
yea man. my pops was an alcoholi to boot. was rough. my mom was/is great as were my grandparents. parents worked outta town so i'd be trapped at home (unkown to them) with my brother all strung out on coke/smack. no bueno. going to start EMDR to get through a lot of this.

The stigma around mental illness is real. I know they support me and want the best for me, but just don't to believe one of their own suffers from it. Just a weird way for them to deal with it themselves. I get it and have learned to live with it.
i hear that bro. my dad was old school like that. wasn't down with admitting he had problems, going to therapy etc. some people just don't wanna believe what they don't understand, and mental illness is a tough thing for some to get.

Back
Top Bottom