Black Culture Discussion Thread

Now more than ever we need to educate fellow blacks on economics and how money works

I had to pull a brother to the side today after he told me it was "just a dollar" when he told me he was going to withdraw cash from one of those ATMs that charge you to use them. :smh:

I told him that dollar adds up over time and educated him that he could go next door to the grocery store and buy something small like a Gatorade and do a cash back to take money out of his account without paying a fee

View media item 1719341

The Black Family in the Age of Mass Incarceration

American politicians are now eager to disown a failed criminal-justice system that’s left the U.S. with the largest incarcerated population in the world. But they've failed to reckon with history. Fifty years after Daniel Patrick Moynihan’s report “The Negro Family” tragically helped create this system, it's time to reclaim his original intent.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...mily-in-the-age-of-mass-incarceration/403246/

Felt this needed to be posted. Very long read. Haven't finished reading it myself yet.

CPhAjBcU8AEju-D.jpg

Now more than ever we need to educate fellow blacks on economics and how money works

I had to pull a brother to the side today after he told me it was "just a dollar" when he told me he was going to withdraw cash from one of those ATMs that charge you to use them. :smh:

I told him that dollar adds up over time and educated him that he could go next door to the grocery store and buy something small like a Gatorade and do a cash back to take money out of his account without paying a fee

Word, I want to see that 7a.m. documentary but aint got the $25+ they are chargin for it.

just think. If A bank charges 100000 people over draft fees in one day. That's 3.5 million dollars.

Hate that for some reason I thought the March was on the 15th and took that week off. Gonna see if I can switch up weeks really quick.

Went to a forum last night for My Brother's Keeper Pittsburgh. Like what I seen and hope that I can participate more in other things like it in the city and surrounding areas. Great feeling seeing people of all different colors and walks of life coming out to show support for the young brothas. :pimp:

Has anyone else listened to Dr. King's Mountain Top speech in its entirety? Powerful stuff and it's amazing how relevant that speech still is. I know it's a long listen but it is well worth the time.

I can't comment on orange is the new black because I've never seen it, but I think that Meme is a bit of a reach. If Taraji had won for Empire there would be a different Meme about how she was an ex-con on the show and the its all about black ppl doing illegal ****.

Let's just celebrate for a moment that a talented black woman won something.

Plus whoever made that meme doesn't realize how dope those characters were.

They just saw "black woman with white dude" and "goofy looking black woman" and decided let the world know what to think.

In that speech Dr. King hit on promoting and supporting black owned businesses, the fact that the media focused on the small number of violent protesters rather than the peaceful ones and he focused on the need to focus our economic power into social change.

mad.gif

**** like this boils me to me core... there was zero critical thought or analysis done.

Why are fallacious logic and pseudo-science the hallmarks of so called "woke" people...

This is the bad part of the internet...everyone has the chance to speak so the web is filled with people who filled with half truths, confirmation bias, pseudo-religious sciences...grinds my gears.

mad.gif

Plus whoever made that meme doesn't realize how dope those characters were.

They just saw "black woman with white dude" and "goofy looking black woman" and decided let the world know what to think.
Nah there's definitely a narrative about what is critically acclaimed/award worthy when it comes to black women in media. I'm happy for her, but there needs to be some variation. Let's not forget what film got Halle Berry to be the only black woman to receive an Oscar...

Back
Top Bottom