Black Culture Discussion Thread

What steps would you take in the beginning Lucky? I'm not asking in a condescending way either, I'm asking to keep this dialogue going.

We should be building private k-12 schools among other forms of infrastructure. We are by passing 18 yrs of black peoples lives hoping they wake up when they get to college and take on debt to learn fundamental knowledge that should have been installed in elementary and middle school. With that logic every black person is literally starting 18-20 yrs behind on top of the handicap nlacks globally have due to the events of history associated with slavery in the west and colonization in the east.

Avg black person isnt even taught about race growing up which is why NT is full of goofies who think we are in some post racial society yet are shocked trump was elected or when they encounter racism. Black folks are the primary targets of white supremacy yet arent being taught how to navigate it from day one which is why we continue to be slaughtered.

What steps would you take in the beginning Lucky? I'm not asking in a condescending way either, I'm asking to keep this dialogue going.

We should be building private k-12 schools among other forms of infrastructure. We are by passing 18 yrs of black peoples lives hoping they wake up when they get to college and take on debt to learn fundamental knowledge that should have been installed in elementary and middle school. With that logic every black person is literally starting 18-20 yrs behind on top of the handicap nlacks globally have due to the events of history associated with slavery in the west and colonization in the east.

Oh, that's without a doubt, my focus is more on the financial side of this because we all know money don't grow on trees and bills aint free. I was looking at it in the sense of learning how to manage the money and things of that nature so that we can build the infrastructure and keep it sustainable. Definitely not saying that what you are saying is incorrect and I hope I didn't give off that vibe.

Kids in college and want to learn about hiphop or outkast what the big deal 

not like it a core course 

Oh, that's without a doubt, my focus is more on the financial side of this because we all know money don't grow on trees and bills aint free. I was looking at it in the sense of learning how to manage the money and things of that nature so that we can build the infrastructure and keep it sustainable. Definitely not saying that what you are saying is incorrect and I hope I didn't give off that vibe.

This is why we need our own schools. Kids should not be going to college unless it is to get a skill to allow them to compete gloablly and contuine to build their communities. Why are people going to college taking on debt to learn who they are and basic financial literacy? This is why we continue to lose. We cant claim to be opressed then run to our opressor to teach us. This is why ****s like Ninja look at us like goofies. We talk the talk but expect the opressor to teach us.

Kids in college and want to learn about hiphop or outkast what the big deal 
not like it a core course 

I mean this as respectful as possible but some black people actually have a sense of urgency as it relates to our condition and the current social climate. If you dont want to have it then thats fine but this is not a sign of progress or anything to be cheering about but at the end of the day I dont have to right to tell people what they should be excited about so more power to anyone who thinks a class on outkast means anything in the real world.

cheering excited not sure about that

but should these kids not have a class on something they interested in 

just 1 
laugh.gif

cheering excited not sure about that
but should these kids not have a class on something they interested in 
just 1 :lol:

I already stated my views on why people should go to college. At this point not really much to discuss on the topic and everyone is free to do whatever they want and take on as much debt as they want lol.

Once again it is foolish to go into debt at a White institution to learn about what it is to be Black. Black people face an economic issue. People use learning history as a scapegoat on not focusing on economics. Look at Harlem and all these other cities where everyone can tell you everything about Africa but the areas is rapidly being gentrified.

Black people need to solve their economic issue before worrying about anything else. Solving the economic issue will allow Blacks to actually build their own independent institutions to teach their you how they need to be taught.

What good is going into debt at a white institution and not gain tangible skills after wards and still end up being dependent on systematic white supremacy to show you mercy?

Either way I`m not trying to convince people, I`m only trying to find those who are focus on economics, anyone else is free to do what they please.

And forgive me as I`m not trying to come off as rude, but the time for debate is over, so as I said people are free to do as they please as anyone who I need to convince to build is someone I`d rather not waste time on in these crucial times.

There isn't anything wrong with people going to school to study their history and culture. Academia was one of the weapons that whites used to not only whitewash the history of Africa, but it was used to justify slavery and the mistreatment of Africans. Black/Africana studies was an important step in humanizing black people and restoring the identity and culture they lost through enslavement. Education and economics go hand in hand. Both were used to disfranchise us, and both are equally important.

This is the main reason I support the fact that the course (and others like it) is offered.

My grand-parents (who grew up in colonial Africa) used to tell younger me about schoolyard policies that forbade the use of any language other than English or French. While such policies have gone away with colonialism, the shame associated with speaking one's native tongue has persisted in many African schools (especially today in urban centers, as I've experienced it). Earlier in the thread, I mentioned how the term "villager" is used pejoratively, and speaking one's native tongue better than the language inherited from colonialism is an implicit identifier of a villager; in African cities, loving anything local more than foreign stuff is often seen as not being cultured.

Lucky, you're missing the fact that the long term objective of African studies is to change the perception that the outside world has of Africa/Blackness from indifference/fear to normalization, appreciation, and even adoption. It's only when that perception changes that we will be able to create demand for our own products, create businesses around our own products in order to satisfy that demand (instead of being middlemen for other people's products), and use the influx of money to develop our communities, neighborhoods, and countries.

It's not an either/or situation.

It's both getting the skills to build off what you make, and educating people about what you make so that you can later sell your services/goods to them.

You guys are talking about white people using academics against blacks then literally promoting a course at a WHITE university.

Niketalk.com yall

Lol once again dont waste your time trying to prove your point to me at the end of the day you are the ones who will have to worry about what becomes of your children.

Good discussion so far brehs.  Black/Africana studies examines more than just history. The discipline itself is as multifaceted and varied as the people it covers. Everything from history all the way down to economics is studied and taught. There isn't a single book or a single course that could fully examine the entirety of the black experience. Parents can only do so much. They can't teach what they don't know. The average parent doesn't have the understanding and knowledge to teach on a level like this

And as the years start to go by, black folk continue to have historical and cultural amnesia.

Do you think a child or a teenager can truly grasp the complexities of Frantz Fanon's pyschoanalysis of mental and physical colonialism? Do you think a child is going to fully understand Dubois's work on Black capitalism and cooperative economics? The simple is answer is no and that's why scholars and activists are still studying their works til this day applying them to a 2017 world. That's what we've always done as a community; build on the previous work of our predecessors.

If the scholars and activists of the past and present don't contribute their time and work for the betterment of our community, this discussion we're having right now doesn't happen. We don't have a discussion about black economics and independence without our scholars and activists. These ideas and topics didn't come out of nowhere. These ideas were developed and worked on long before any of us ever got here. 

And make no mistake about it, you can't separate capitalism from economics. It's literally an economic and political model. Slavery is at the heart of why capitalism became a successful economic model. Black bodies WERE the original stock market. Entire industries and institutions were built off of our enslavement. Studying this history and how it effects our present day situation is important. Building institutions and infrastructure are economic concepts. How can we build what we don't understand? And how can we go forward if we don't know where we've been or how we got here? Other groups who come to this country already know this because they weren't taken from their homeland involuntarily to build this country for free while being cut off from their history, language, and culture.

We in a war right now and war is fought on many fronts, even behind enemy lines. Education and economics are both important in our progress. Yall can think whatever you want.

Last edited:
[h1]W. E. B. Du Bois to Malcolm X: The Untold History of the Movement to Ban the Bomb[/h1]
When the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. announced his strong opposition to the war in Vietnam, the media attacked him for straying outside of his civil rights mandate. In so many words, powerful interests told him: “Mind your own business.” In fact, African American leaders have long been concerned with broad issues of peace and justice—and have especially opposed nuclear weapons. Unfortunately, this activism is left out of mainstream corporate-produced history textbooks.

On June 6, 1964, three Japanese writers and a group of hibakusha (atomic bomb survivors) arrived in Harlem as part of the Hiroshima/Nagasaki World Peace Study Mission. Their mission: to speak out against nuclear proliferation.

Yuri Kochiyama, a Japanese American activist, organized a reception for the hibakusha at her home in the Harlem Manhattanville Housing Projects, with her friend Malcolm X. Malcolm said, “You have been scarred by the atom bomb. You just saw that we have also been scarred. The bomb that hit us was racism.” He went on to discuss his years in prison, education, and Asian history. Turning to Vietnam, Malcolm said, “If America sends troops to Vietnam, you progressives should protest.” He argued that “the struggle of Vietnam is the struggle of the whole Third World: the struggle against colonialism, neocolonialism, and imperialism.” Malcolm X, like so many before him, consistently connected colonialism, peace, and the Black freedom struggle. Yet, students have rarely heard this story.

With the recent developments in Charleston surrounding the Confederate flag, there is a renewed focus on what should be included in U.S. history textbooks and who should determine the content. Focusing on African American history, too often textbooks reduce the Black freedom movement to the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the March on Washington. Rosa Parks and Dr. King are put in their neat categorical boxes and students are never taught the Black freedom struggle’s international dimensions, viewing slavery, Jim Crow, and the Civil Rights Movement as purely domestic phenomena unrelated to foreign affairs. However, Malcolm X joined a long list of African Americans who, from 1945 onward, actively supported nuclear disarmament. W. E. B. Du Bois, Bayard Rustin, Coretta Scott King, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and the Black Panther Party were just a few of the many African Americans who combined civil rights with peace, and thus broadened the Black freedom movement and helped define it in terms of global human rights.

If students learn about Du Bois at all, it is usually that he helped found the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) or that he received a PhD from Harvard. However, a few weeks after the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Du Bois likened President Truman to Adolph Hitler, calling him “one of the greatest killers of our day.” He had traveled to Japan and consistently criticized the use of nuclear weapons. In the 1950s, fearing another Hiroshima in Korea, Du Bois led the effort in the Black community to eliminate nuclear weapons with the “Ban the Bomb” petition. Many students go through their entire academic careers and learn nothing of Du Bois’ work in the international arena.

If students ever hear the name Bayard Rustin, it is usually related to his work with the March on Washington. He has been tragically marginalized in U.S. history textbooks, in large part because of his homosexuality. However, Rustin’s body of work in civil rights and peace activism dates back to the 1930s. In 1959, during the Civil Rights Movement, Rustin not only fought institutional racism in the United States, but also traveled to Ghana to try to prevent France from testing its first nuclear weapon in Africa.

These days, some textbooks acknowledge Dr. King’s critique of the Vietnam War. However, King’s actions against nuclear weapons began a full decade earlier in the late 1950s. From 1957 until his death, through speeches, sermons, interviews, and marches, King consistently protested the use of nuclear weapons and war. King called for an end to nuclear testing asking, “What will be the ultimate value of having established social justice in a context where all people, Negro and White, are merely free to face destruction by Strontium-90 or atomic war?” Following the Cuban Missile Crisis in October 1962, King called on the government to take some of the billions of dollars spent on nuclear weapons and use those funds to increase teachers’ salaries and build much needed schools in impoverished communities. Two years later, receiving the Nobel Peace Prize, King argued the spiritual and moral lag in our society was due to three problems: racial injustice, poverty, and war. He warned that in the nuclear age, society must eliminate racism or risk annihilation.

Dr. King’s wife largely inspired his antinuclear stance. Coretta Scott King began her activism as a student at Antioch College. Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, King worked with various peace organizations, and along with a group of female activists, began pressuring President Kennedy for a nuclear test ban. In 1962, Coretta King served as a delegate for Women Strike for Peace at a disarmament conference in Geneva that was part of a worldwide effort to push for a nuclear test ban treaty between the United States and the Soviet Union. Upon her return, King spoke at AME church in Chicago, saying: “We are on the brink of destroying ourselves through nuclear warfare . . . . The Civil Rights Movement and the Peace Movement must work together ultimately because peace and civil rights are part of the same problem.”

Soon, we will commemorate the 70th anniversaries of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Not long after comes the anniversary of the 1963 March on Washington. Students will then return to school and to their history textbooks. However, most will not learn how these issues are connected. They will not learn of all those in the Civil Rights Movement who simultaneously fought for peace. But this must change, and soon. The scarring of war and poverty and racism that Malcolm X spoke of continues. It’s time that students learn about the long history of activism that has challenged these deadly triplets.
https://zinnedproject.org/2015/07/web-dubois-malcolmx-ban-the-bomb/

The comments under that video underscore why it is important to teach the entire body of work of MLK, not just the feel good parts.

Isn't he the one who profited heavily off of creating a white rapper who profited heavily by appopriating the culture??

Mr 'If it aint about money" wants to lecture us on the Lynch Agenda now????

T.I is one of last people fools who should be condemning anyone about "selling out".

And the first thing the ******* does when he comes in power he takes all the Negro leaders And invites them for coffee. To show that he's all right. And those Uncle Toms can't pass up the coffee. They come away from the coffee table telling you and me that this man is all right

- Malcolm X 1964

View media item 2302108View media item 2302109View media item 2302110

so because he met with dude, jim brown is an uncle tom now???

When I heard that Malcolm quote is just reminded me of what's going on now. I don't know what to think about those dudes that met with Trump but I don't know Trump is using them for appearances.

Isn't he the one who profited heavily off of creating a white rapper who profited heavily by appopriating the culture??
 Mr 'If it aint about money" wants to lecture us on the Lynch Agenda now????
T.I is one of last people fools who should be condemning anyone about "selling out".
View media item 1529647

I mean at the end of the day TIP is right in what he's saying. He stopped messing with Iggy a long time ago. I heard Diddy saying some real **** about dudes c**ning. We can't knock dudes when they doing foolish **** and knock them when they say some real ****.

Back
Top Bottom