Black Culture Discussion Thread

Seems like there was an attempt to show the softer side of the man on the horse.

Very informative. Didn't know that the Bahamas government was engaged in Trumpian immigration tactics.

It seems that Haitians can't get a break anywhere. Haiti itself is one of the most dangerous places to live in the Caribbean geographically.

One of his other paintings woulda been better...

5d8cc4dacc842.image.jpg

wiley3.jpg

I don't think the statue is wack but I do think he looks more modern West African than African American.

Very informative. Didn't know that the Bahamas government was engaged in Trumpian immigration tactics.

Yea', I have a half brother that was born and raised in Nassau, there's still a lot of natives that look onto Haitians differently.

My brother said it's been worse in the weeks since the hurricane, after Abacos, the place where most Haitian transplants resided, had been torn to bits. Haitians looking for new lives in Nassau from Abacos are getting hard looks and much fewer opportunities than the natives

Trumpian? Did you think Black people were immune from nationalism? self-interest? because we're not of Western European origin? We're human beings. Every human society from the beginning of time has had a concept of in-group vs out-group. Whether at the local level you call it 'anti-gentrification', the national level of 'patriotism' and 'nationalism', or the regional/cultural level of 'Western hegemony' or 'Asian cultural values' human beings are acutely aware, if sometimes subconsciously as in little children, of those who are different from themselves.

The American conflation of race and ethnicity does not exist anywhere else. In South Africa, they are attacking/harassing people of non-Zulu background. White, West African, Asian, all are fair game. In China, the government is undertaking a campaign of eliminating non-Han ethnic minorities. Tibetans, Uyghurs, Hmong, are feeling the pain right now. In the Middle East, Syrian refugees are being expelled from many of their neighboring host countries. Because Haitians are Black, and West Indian does not make them anymore welcome in the Bahamas. Especially when the Bahamas isn't exactly a wealthy place either.

The Chinese have a word for your perspective: baizuo - "western liberal." Roughly equivalent to the right-wing term "SJW" but with the added implication of a rejection of most or all mainstream Western socio-political norms. My point is that you would do well to take off the American perspective when reading about the political issues within other nations and cultures. Just because you don't embrace the neo-conservatism and neo-liberalism of mainstream American politics doesn't make the perspective any less American/Western.

Last edited:
My point is that you would do well to take off the American perspective when reading about the political issues within other nations and cultures.
I'm usually the one saying that in this thread, considering that I identify as more than Black.

The use of "Trumpian" didn't refer to in-group/out-group theory; it refers to the tactics used by the Bahamian government to deny citizenship to Bahamas-born Haitians, which have been highlighted in the show. They mirror what the US is currently doing to short-circuit the entire immigration process, like the stay in Mexico policy for asylum seekers, in direct contradiction to the international agreements they sign regarding refugee rights; or the recent change that requires immigration visa applicants to prove they have health insurance - in addition to the required vaccination records, just so they can curtail family-based immigration.

Last edited:
I'm usually the one saying that in this thread, considering that I identify as more than Black.

The use of "Trumpian" didn't refer to in-group/out-group theory; it refers to the tactics used by the Bahamian government to deny citizenship to Bahamas-born Haitians, which have been highlighted in the show. They mirror what the US is currently doing to short-circuit the entire immigration process, like the stay in Mexico policy for asylum seekers, in direct contradiction to the international agreements they sign regarding refugee rights; or the recent change that requires immigration visa applicants to prove they have health insurance - in addition to the required vaccination records, just so they can curtail family-based immigration.

Ah ok. I get you.

I think geopolitics is moving from the liberal world order to a more realist standpoint. Very few are honoring those agreements when the cameras aren't on them.

Speaking of Haiti, the situation right now is beyond dire, and the fact that there is seemingly very little support coming from western leaders is unsettling considering some of the crimes that have been committed the past year. Especially with the army that the US installed

Corruption's been rampant, but Senators shooting at constituents, admitting to their corruption is a relatively new low

This right here is some extraordinarily brave reporting, Magaret Prescod of The Sojourner Truth is speaking directly to victims of government abuse in the protest barricades where people were being teargassed and shot at. Specifically the ghettos of La Saline and Cite Soleil where overwhelming massacres have occurred over the year. It was said that the first round of massacres happened because of protest over a gas subsidy bill, that was later withdrawn after the protests, and what has come after is protesting against the entire regime over the corruption, massacres, and lack of oversight. They specifically targeted La Saline, which is one of the poorest parts of Port au prince, because so many of them overwhelmingly support the opposition and believe in their origins, as it pertains to resistance, in 1804.

A lot of these people are risking their lives by putting themselves on camera and telling their stories. Their was a second part to this, but it included a lot of saying of names- which is why I imagine it was token down a day or so later. I don't love the translator here, because he's paraphrasing instead of translating, but he does a decent job for those who want to watch/listen:

Godfrey said what a lot of black ppl feel and say behind closed doors. I gotta share that vid lol.

Back
Top Bottom