Black Culture Discussion Thread

Angela with the braids

rejoice.png

Gotcha. I agree that its more intimidating and thats cause it affects the white man. The moment that they hear that their rights are getting infringed on, they go ape ****. Could careless about anybody else. It's like with stop and frisk. When America fully embraces the military state ideology, that is when you'll see more white people in an uproar about stop and frisk etc cause it will then be affecting them, but for now, they just see it as the police just doing their job.

Never looked at it like that

To Combat Bullying, Newark, NJ, High School Principal Installs Laundry Room

Screenshot: YouTube/NJ.com

https://www.theroot.com/to-combat-b...ipal-1828389604/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Kids can be cruel and bullying isn’t something that’s going to disappear overnight, but one New Jersey high school principal is trying to make life easier for his students who’ve been bullied for wearing dirty clothes to school. Principal Akbar Cook of Newark’s West Side High School took it upon himself to have a laundry room installed in the school so students could have a place to wash their clothes.

“They were choosing to stay home rather than coming to school to be bullied or ridiculed,” Cook told NJ.com. “We didn’t know until we started making calls.”

Teens at West Side High were being bullied for having dirty clothes and sneakers and had their photos posted to social media by those doing the bullying. Cook felt he needed to do something so he reached out to PSE&G, New Jersey’s utility supplier, in order to secure $20,000 in funding to install five washer and dryers in a converted football locker room.

Since installing the laundry room, the school has received donations of detergent to offset the costs.

“I refuse to let a kid come to school smelling or dirty and I’m sitting on a shirt that says ‘West Side on it,” Cook said.

He was the coach of the team in that was featured in that youtube series that the school in focus feared, didn't know he was the principal too. Dude doing amazing things.

Pan Africanism didn't start with Garvey but he is the root for many modern Black Nationalists/Pan Africanists ( Malcolm, Amos Wilson, Huey, Assata). His impact is undeniable.

Read his work and you'll see how poignant his words are today.

When will they realize these fake *** white christian missionairies aren't doing missions in Africa and Haiti for the good of the people.
They are doing it to instill fear and control through Christianity...and other perverted crap

Has history taught us anything folks???

Last edited:
When will they realize these fake *** white christian missionairies aren't doing missions in Africa and Haiti for the good of the people.
They are doing it to instill fear and control through Christianity...and other perverted crap

Has history taught us anything folks???

Abuse you, kill you, steal your resources then sell you a religion to deal with it.

Pan Africanism didn't start with Garvey but he is the root for many modern Black Nationalists/Pan Africanists ( Malcolm, Amos Wilson, Huey, Assata). His impact is undeniable.

Read his work and you'll see how poignant his words are today.

Yo, any examples of pan africanist before Garvey?

I'm sure some exist but I'm shooting blanks right now.

Edit: I misread that. Pan-africanism as an ideology existed long before Garvey.

Last edited:
Yo, any examples of pan africanist before Garvey?

I'm sure some exist but I'm shooting blanks right now.

Edit: I misread that. Pan-africanism as an ideology existed long before Garvey.

There is a whole history of PA before Garvey, but you can argue that most modern Black Nationalists and Pan Africanists were influenced by him.

People rarely associate PA or BN with Delaney, Henry Sylvester Williams, Blyden, or Crummell because their much older and represent an intellectual part of the ideology. If you don't mind reading I can recommend some books.

Kofi Annan, Former UN Chief, Dies at 80

GlpMWctD_400x400.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-45232892

Kofi Annan, the only black African to become UN secretary-general, has died.

The 80-year-old "passed away peacefully on Saturday after a short illness", the foundation named after him said.

His home country, Ghana, has declared a week of national mourning. Annan served two terms as UN chief from 1997 to 2006, and was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize for his humanitarian work.

He later served as the UN special envoy for Syria, leading efforts to find a solution to the conflict.

In a statement announcing his death, the Kofi Annan Foundation described him as a "global statesman and deeply committed internationalist who fought throughout his life for a fairer and more peaceful world".

"Wherever there was suffering or need, he reached out and touched many people with his deep compassion and empathy."

The career diplomat died in hospital in the Swiss city of Bern. He had been living near Geneva for several years.

He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2001 for helping to revitalise the international body, during a period that coincided with the Iraq War and the HIV/Aids pandemic.

p06htwkz.jpg

Kofi Annan accepts his Nobel Peace Prize

_103068872_b10647da-addc-4a97-95f2-efb7b8003261.jpg

Image copyrightAFP
Kofi Annan's wife, Nane, was by his side when he died

Kofi Annan described his greatest achievement as the Millennium Development Goals which - for the first time - set global targets on issues such as poverty and child mortality.

However, Annan was not immune from criticism. His critics blamed him for the UN's failure to halt the genocide in Rwanda in the 1990s when he was head of the organisation's peacekeeping operations.

Later, after the US-led invasion of Iraq, he and his son were accused of being involved in the "oil for food corruption scandal" that led some to call for his resignation, though he was later exonerated.

p064pbby.jpg

Annan told the BBC in April that the world had become "particularly messy"

In an interview with the BBC's HardTalk to mark his 80th birthday in April, Annan acknowledged the UN's shortcomings, saying it "can be improved, it is not perfect but if it didn't exist you would have to create it".

"I am a stubborn optimist, I was born an optimist and will remain an optimist," he added.

Remembering Kofi Annan

Kofi Annan will be remembered for the way he drew attention, over and over again, to the plight of those caught up in war, environmental disaster, or simply grinding poverty.

The way he quietly but firmly reminded world leaders, however powerful, that they needed to put their duty to their citizens above their political careers.

Current UN chief Antonio Guterres has been leading the tributes to his predecessor, describing Annan as "a guiding force for good".

"In many ways, Kofi Annan was the United Nations. He rose through the ranks to lead the organisation into the new millennium with matchless dignity and determination," he said in a statement.

UN high commissioner for human rights Zeid Raad Al Hussein said in a tweet he was grief-stricken over Annan's death:

Tributes have been pouring in from world leaders and diplomats, including UK Prime Minister Theresa May and Nato chief Jens Stoltenberg.

Former US President Barack Obama, the first African American to win the White House, said: "Long after he had broken barriers, Kofi never stopped his pursuit of a better world."

President Vladimir Putin of Russia said the memory of Annan would "forever live in the hearts of Russians".

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said "the world has lost not only a great African diplomat and humanitarian but also a conscience keeper of international peace and security".

Announcing the week of national mourning, Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo called Annan "one of our greatest compatriots".

The diplomat's career continued after retirement from the UN, and in 2007 he set up his own foundation aimed at promoting global sustainable development, security and peace.

A year later, his reputation was boosted after he successfully helped negotiate a power-sharing deal to end post-election violence in Kenya.

In a Facebook tribute, Raila Odinga, the opposition leader who signed the agreement, called Annan "the man who stepped in and saved the country from collapse".

In 2012 he was made chair of The Elders, a peace and human rights advocacy group started by South Africa's Nelson Mandela.

_103069600_2428819d-e3d7-4af4-ac00-6dfc88a9aaa7.jpg

Image copyrightAFP
Annan attended an event marking Nelson Mandela's 100th birth anniversary in Johannesburg last month

The same year, he quit his post as UN envoy to Syria after only six months in the role, citing the failures of world powers to fulfil their commitments. He was later quoted as saying: "I lost my troops on the way to Damascus."

His most recent role was chairing an independent commission investigation Myanmar's Rohingya crisis.

Annan's wife, Nane, and three children were "by his side during his last days", the Kofi Annan Foundation said.

^ These are the type of people that should be governing African nations. But nobody out west or over here seem to want that.

I'm referring to Kofi Annan

Colorism, or Complete Makeover? Disney's Princess Tiana Has a New Look, and We Have Questions

Screenshot: Disney Pictures/TheTalko (YouTube)

https://theglowup.theroot.com/colorism-or-complete-makeover-disneys-princess-tiana-1828353805

Disney, who dis princess? That’s what fans of The Princess and the Frog’s Princess Tiana wanted to know after seeing the latest round of trailers for the upcoming Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2, which features a reunion of pretty much every Disney princess imaginable, reincarnated through the magic of CGI.

For those who remember the 2009 debut of Disney’s first African American princess, there was much excitement at the prospect of seeing her featured alongside Disney’s classic princesses and fellow princesses of color Pocahontas, Moana, Mulan and Jasmine. But as at least one trailer would prove, there was something ... different about our favorite Disney princess.

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 5.36.35 PM.png

The Disney princesses stage a sleepover, and like Frozen’s Princess Anna, we have questions about Tiana’s new look.
Screenshot: Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 (Disney Pictures/YouTube)

Call it a trick of the (animated) light, but the newest iteration of Tiana seems to have traded in her dark skin and more African features for a seemingly more caramel hue and prototypical Pixar snub nose, complete with a mane of 3c curls (but at least they left her natural ... I guess?).

She was definitely still black, but ... not a good look, Disney.

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 5.35.56 PM.png

Screenshot: The Princess and the Frog (Disney Pictures)

And social media (read: Black Twitter) was not amused, criticizing the studio for whitewashing their only black princess to date:

Others weren’t so convinced of a whitewashing conspiracy, pointing out the aforementioned differences in lighting, combined with the inherent differences in 3D modeling—as well as surmising that the variety of facial expressions the princess is making might explain the difference in her features.

Of course, lighting still doesn’t explain why Tiana looks like she had a nose job. But then, there’s also the fact that she’s not the only Disney princess to have a major makeover for this film to fit the Pixar animation style—including a lighter and larger-eyed Pocahontas and a less Chinese-looking Mulan (skip ahead to 4:58 for Tiana’s breakdown). That said, most can agree that Tiana’s makeover was the most dramatic, by far. And why was that necessary?

https://youtu.be/RAZCBd3YTGg

Our verdict? Disney definitely did too much—and simultaneously, not enough to preserve their sole African American princess; effectively undermining their own attempts at inclusion with their insensitive re-rendering. But there’s another thing bugging us about Tiana’s appearance in Wreck-It Ralph 2: Why does she consistently seem to be placed in the back? (Seriously: find Tiana in this shot. The only saving grace is that she’s definitely dark-skinned here.)

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 5.34.31 PM.png

Screenshot: Disney Pictures

We will never not appreciate having a black Disney princess—and hope the rumors are true that there are more to come. But as one (non-black) Twitter user aptly noted, when our inclusion is such a rarity, we deserve our imagery to be treated with far more sensitivity, rather than just another Pixar princess with a tan. Hopefully, Disney is listening.

Last edited:
There is a whole history of PA before Garvey, but you can argue that most modern Black Nationalists and Pan Africanists were influenced by him.

People rarely associate PA or BN with Delaney, Henry Sylvester Williams, Blyden, or Crummell because their much older and represent an intellectual part of the ideology. If you don't mind reading I can recommend some books.

Yo I'm not averse to reading but seeing as I'm not stateside and won't be for the foreseeable future, I need something digital.

Ive never heard of anyone you mentioned. Full names would be appreciate, as I can Google them meanwhile.

Back
Top Bottom