Black guy hair cuts

^ Out of all those names, who's the best at teaching how to cut yourself? i Mostly just do basic stuff like line, taper, etc.
In terms of actually cutting your hair, you don't need a video for that.

Assuming you conversated with your barber or already have some slight knowledge, you should know what guard to be using. 

Personally, I use a 1 guard. Liner definitely takes some practice tho and you could maybe get something out of the techniques other people use.

Tapers/fades, yep, definitely need to hit the vids for that one. Use to fade the back when I went to a barber, not even trying it myself 
laugh.gif

Bout a year and a half in.

Last edited:
^ Out of all those names, who's the best at teaching how to cut yourself? i Mostly just do basic stuff like line, taper, etc.

I'd say AD The Barber and 360 Jeezy. They both have videos clearly showing how to cut your own hair. AD does several different styles on himself, Jeezy just does low tapers.

^ good looks

Top Boy Top Boy yea I've been cutting my hair for exactly 13 months now. Usually just taper back and the sides on Fridays before I go out.

I definitely have the dexterity and had eye coordination for it. Had someone ask me if I could put them on my barber after I had been cutting my own for about 6 month. That felt good lol.

I'm a big believer in technique and methodology though, would love to continue to improve with a little more guidance from those who really know the craft.

My basic cuts look pretty good but my barber of 8 years was excellent. I still rock with him a couple times a year just cause it's a dope shop and I love being around there but I'm trying to develop to the point where I can't eem tell the difference between my cuts and his. :lol:

Last edited:
What type of hair style?
None of those 3 are really good for teaching how to cut your OWN. Bossio has some excellent tutorials in general, while EJones is most entertaining, and both have great production value. I'd throw 360Jeezy in there, even though he's not the best technical barber. Chuka is dope but his videos are horrible for teaching how to. AD The Barber is dope, though he seems to have stopped posting new vids lately. Same with Ricardo and Vick. That being said, I'm subscribed to all of them!
It's not hard to take the steps and apply them to yourself but I guess I get what you mean

It's not hard to take the steps and apply them to yourself but I guess I get what you mean
Nah, you're right.  I learned by cutting others, then applied the techniques to my own hair.  Hardest part for most people is learning how to properly position the mirror, and hold the clipper backwards.  There's no video that can teach  you to be comfortable with either one.

For my DC folks if you have razor bumps on the back of your head go to afrikancuts on Georgia Ave they sell epiderm cream for 10 bucks...i had a small irritation on the back of my head I've been using the cream for about 2 days and it's already starting not clear up..by next month it should definitely be gone

idk if its cause my hair is too long and thick or if i just need a new sponge but it's not really working now.
what do twist out fros look like and how would i get one?

I've got the DS5 right now but I'm pretty tired of it..I'm thinking about going back to the low cut with waves or a fade with waves....

I'm not sure if I have 360s anymore lol. I'm always messing around and experimenting when I cut my hair. Decided to grow my hair on the top a lil and not cut that part for the past 2.5 weeks. I haven't been brushing the top as much either to have it curl up some. But I've been brushing my sides and back all the time like I always do and been cutting that every week to keep that perfect length.

Been getting tons a compliments from the ladies I've seen over the last 2 days. One even told me I should keep growing the top and completely stop brushing it to have it curly on the top and only wavy on the sides and back. I'm not sure about that because I'm used to keeping my entire head at a 2-2.5 but I'm considering just to switch things up a bit.

You still have em. Cut em a lil lower and I bet them ***** will be spinning.

I'll be cutting my own if if I get off at decent time.

Some grease, durag, and brush every chance you get.  They'll be spinning by the weekend, no doubt.

i wish i could line myself up better smh. I do a decent job every once in a while but sometimes i just totally mess it up lol
my hairline is crooked so its difficult so ive just decided to try my best to goto the barber every two weeks

idk if this was already discussed or applies but that sponge does wonders as long as you have a couple inches of hair on your head. Ive been experimenting for the past couple months and have gotten some cuts where im like "never again" then i get home and hit it with the hair sponge and it comes together nicely.

A shadow is like a 1.5 faded to a 1 right? What do I ask for if I want like a 2 to a 1.5 or 1? Tryna get that any Davis look

This might of been covered or maybe just a wierd *** question.

My hair be super soft after a cut.

Is it the spray he uses or has the sun just dried out the top hair?

I want to keep this texture but it's usually gone in a day or two.

The natural oils in ya hair give that good feel in ****.

I was told not to wash your hair too often as it was strip that **** from being smooth.

Wash hair with cold water too.

The natural oils in ya hair give that good feel in ****.

I was told not to wash your hair too often as it was strip that **** from being smooth.

Wash hair with cold water too.

Nothing incorrect here but yea, after a cut the new hair at surface level hasn't been exposed to this cold harsh dirty world the same way the rest of your body has, literally younger more vibrant cells than what was cut off.

+1 on temperature. Like my showers scalding hot but only luke warm water touches my face and hair.

Last edited:
Been goin to a barber 30 minutes away for a minute, that doesnt do appointments. I would have to wait an hour or 2 sometimes 3. And it take him an hour to fade me up.

Today i went to a shop thats 5 min away and way better then my og barber.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom