Black Lives Matter: Why the dual agenda?

So I was looking into doing some things with this organization and before I put my money, time or effort in, I read their website and noticed the dual agenda with this movement. I'm willing to bet most people don't see beyond the misleading hashtags and catchphrases.

So before you continue, I suggest you read their about page.

Black Lives Matter is a chapter-based national organization working for the validity of Black life. We are working to (re)build the Black liberation movement.
This is Not a Moment, but a Movement.

First half of what they're about:

#BlackLivesMatter was created in 2012 after Trayvon Martin’s murderer, George Zimmerman, was acquitted for his crime, and dead 17-year old Trayvon was posthumously placed on trial for his own murder. Rooted in the experiences of Black people in this country who actively resist our dehumanization, #BlackLivesMatter is a call to action and a response to the virulent anti-Black racism that permeates our society.Black Lives Matter is a unique contribution that goes beyond extrajudicial killings of Black people by police and vigilantes.

Wow. Great. I'm all for that. This looks like something I would stand for.

Second half:
It goes beyond the narrow nationalism that can be prevalent within Black communities, which merely call on Black people to love Black, live Black and buy Black, keeping straight cis Black men in the front of the movement while our sisters, queer and trans and disabled folk take up roles in the background or not at all.
Black Lives Matter affirms the lives of Black queer and trans folks, disabled folks, black-undocumented folks, folks with records, women and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. It centers those that have been marginalized within Black liberation movements. It is a tactic to (re)build the Black liberation movement.
What Does #BlackLivesMatter Mean?

When we say Black Lives Matter, we are broadening the conversation around state violence to include all of the ways in which Black people are intentionally left powerless at the hands of the state. We are talking about the ways in which Black lives are deprived of our basic human rights and dignity.

Wait... What? "narrow nationalism?!" "cis Black men???"

View media item 2120505
If you're as confused as I am, narrow nationalism apparently doesn't mean strict, stubborn support for your country. It apparently means strict rules on what it takes to be a black leader.

And "cis Black men"... Cis is short for "cisgender" which is any person who identifies with the gender they are genetically. Example: I was born a male, I identify as male, I am cisgender.

Don't worry, I didn't know about that word until I read it there either... Which leads me to my point.

So apparently, the founder/s is/are lesbian feminist (I haven't done much fact checking) and using #BLM as a Trojan horse of sorts to propel alternate motives. If this is about black lives, why are we singling out LGBT, women, disabled, "black-undocumented folks", "folks with records", etc. Black lives are black lives, right? They're pushing a divisive message behind a statement of unity. Ironically similar to "all lives matter".

Do you represent BLM?
Did you know this was part of their mission statement?
Does this make you feel any different about it?

And for the record, I support homosexual people's struggle, but I do not support deflection and covert operations in the form of something that fronts itself completely different. This is just as much a LGBT movement as it is a black movement.

Why?

I'm not sure what exactly your issue is or how exactly you came to that conclusion.

Seems like they're trying to be inclusive to all black people, but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I'm not sure what exactly your issue is or how exactly you came to that conclusion.

Seems like they're trying to be inclusive to all black people, but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Okay, so "Black Lives Matter" is all inclusive. What more needs to be said? Why do we need to point out specific groups? What about black computer nerds, gamers, lacrosse players, etc

Last edited:

Okay, so "Black Lives Matter" is all inclusive. What more needs to be said? Why do we need to point out specific groups? What about black computer nerds, etc

It should be all inclusive, but in practice, usually isn't. Sorta like how BLM works. Otherwise there'd be no need for this thread.

BLM isn't pushing LGBT issues ahead of its primary issue, which is about Police Brutality.

So you admired the movement/organization until you found out that it's led by black women who also identify with the LGBT community and believe that the inclusion and value of all black lives must be a priority? You actually have a problem with that position?

Haven't agreed with the centering of certain kinds of black people since the start.

You're black before anything else.

Okay, so "Black Lives Matter" is all inclusive. What more needs to be said? Why do we need to point out specific groups? What about black computer nerds, gamers, lacrosse players, etc

What exactly is your problem with what their statement said? Gender, sexual orientation, etc. are fundamental parts of people's identities just like race is.

Okay, so "Black Lives Matter" is all inclusive. What more needs to be said? Why do we need to point out specific groups? What about black computer nerds, etc

It should be all inclusive, but in practice, usually isn't. Sorta like how BLM works. Otherwise there'd be no need for this thread.

BLM isn't pushing LGBT issues ahead of its primary issue, which is about Police Brutality.

But the fact that there is another agenda besides "black" lives makes it a trojan horse to me. What if I used the killings of black children/people to push my agenda that "black lives matter" and on my mission statement, I included that black business owners are also oppressed and marginalized and not included in the main discussion of black lives, so I used some of the blm steam and leverage to find my business?

Would we have a problem? Are black business owners not as human as a lgbt people?

What exactly is your problem with what their statement said? Gender, sexual orientation, etc. are fundamental parts of people's identities just like race is.

The "Trojan Horse" fashion it's being presented

Your issue with their position and with their affirmation of all different kinds of black identities is exactly the reason they felt compelled to make their statement in the first place.

So I was looking into doing some things with this organization and before I put my money, time or effort in, I read their website and noticed the dual agenda with this movement. I'm willing to bet most people don't see beyond the misleading hashtags and catchphrases.

So before you continue, I suggest you read their about page.

Black Lives Matter is a chapter-based national organization working for the validity of Black life. We are working to (re)build the Black liberation movement.
This is Not a Moment, but a Movement.

First half of what they're about:

#BlackLivesMatter was created in 2012 after Trayvon Martin’s murderer, George Zimmerman, was acquitted for his crime, and dead 17-year old Trayvon was posthumously placed on trial for his own murder. Rooted in the experiences of Black people in this country who actively resist our dehumanization, #BlackLivesMatter is a call to action and a response to the virulent anti-Black racism that permeates our society.Black Lives Matter is a unique contribution that goes beyond extrajudicial killings of Black people by police and vigilantes.

Wow. Great. I'm all for that. This looks like something I would stand for.

Second half:
It goes beyond the narrow nationalism that can be prevalent within Black communities, which merely call on Black people to love Black, live Black and buy Black, keeping straight cis Black men in the front of the movement while our sisters, queer and trans and disabled folk take up roles in the background or not at all.
Black Lives Matter affirms the lives of Black queer and trans folks, disabled folks, black-undocumented folks, folks with records, women and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. It centers those that have been marginalized within Black liberation movements. It is a tactic to (re)build the Black liberation movement.
What Does #BlackLivesMatter Mean?

When we say Black Lives Matter, we are broadening the conversation around state violence to include all of the ways in which Black people are intentionally left powerless at the hands of the state. We are talking about the ways in which Black lives are deprived of our basic human rights and dignity.

Wait... What? "narrow nationalism?!" "cis Black men???"

View media item 2120505
If you're as confused as I am, narrow nationalism apparently doesn't mean strict, stubborn support for your country. It apparently means strict rules on what it takes to be a black leader.

And "cis Black men"... Cis is short for "cisgender" which is any person who identifies with the gender they are genetically. Example: I was born a male, I identify as male, I am cisgender.

Don't worry, I didn't know about that word until I read it there either... Which leads me to my point.

So apparently, the founder/s is/are lesbian feminist (I haven't done much fact checking) and using #BLM as a Trojan horse of sorts to propel alternate motives. If this is about black lives, why are we singling out LGBT, women, disabled, "black-undocumented folks", "folks with records", etc. Black lives are black lives, right? They're pushing a divisive message behind a statement of unity. Ironically similar to "all lives matter".

Do you represent BLM?
Did you know this was part of their mission statement?
Does this make you feel any different about it?

And for the record, I support homosexual people's struggle, but I do not support deflection and covert operations in the form of something that fronts itself completely different. This is just as much a LGBT movement as it is a black movement.

Why?

its saying the exact opposite.

instead of only (typically) being given the appearance of only having "strong black men" as the face of the organization, all can and should be the face of the organization.

Your issue with their position and with their affirmation of all different kinds of black identities is exactly the reason they felt compelled to make their statement in the first place.

Not true

OP is essentially asking why it's necessary to specifically isolate the importance of this subset of blacks in the advancement of their agenda.

If BLM is supposed to be all inclusive, it stands to reason that we should be able to infer that the lives of trans, gay, etc. be under the umbrella as well.

I doubt anyone is finding fault the way you're making it to appear. Just a matter of asking the question.

What about light skinned black people and biracial black people?
One of the creators are light-skinned.

You not black huh? no way youre doing all this nit-picking due to the lack of the particular words being omitted that you can be.

OP is essentially asking why it's necessary to specifically isolate the importance of this subset of blacks in the advancement of their agenda.

If BLM is supposed to be all inclusive, it stands to reason that we should be able to infer that the lives of trans, gay, etc. be under the umbrella as well.

I doubt anyone is finding fault the way you're making it to appear. Just a matter of asking the question.

Read OP's comments and tell me he's not taking issue. "Trojan horse," "alternative motives," "divisive agenda."

You not black huh? no way youre doing all this nit-picking due to the lack of the particular words being omitted that you can be.

Black people should be the main ones nitpicking groups that are supposed to represent us.

You don't get a pass just cuz you put black in the name and yell in the streets.

I agree with the overall perceived message of BLM and the fact that they aren't openly pushing for anything over what the core foundation is. But like with anything for us that gets a national spotlight, you need to keep your eyes open.

Last edited:
Well those things would apprear to be true in the case of BLM, as they're advocating for one specific purpose (all black lives), yet delineating that subgroup of the black community.

But in fairness, OP, they did mention other subgroups as well (the older members of the community, the youth, criminals, etc).

I can see why it would seem like they are trying to advance the LGBT struggle as well, since you identified that the founders are a part of that community as well, but I don't believe it's their true intention to have it piggybacked on blm to that degree.

Black people should be the main ones nitpicking groups that are supposed to represent us.

You don't get a pass just cuz you put black in the name and yell in the streets.

wouldn't/shouldn't the nitpicking of black people be to better/improve the organization, and not tear it apart?

Its the same issue I have with folks "criticizing" Killer Mike and others efforts to get folks (of all colors) to open accounts. Detractors seem to want to bring up the FDIC or the Federal Reserve being ran by whites. that's not the goal nor purpose of opening the accounts.

Personally, I've never really believed in the idea that the nation that dropped the nuke and casually drone over entire villages of people that don't look like them to this day can be rationally persuaded that my life matters.

Doesn't really seem like an effective way of going about it.

its saying the exact opposite.

instead of only (typically) being given the appearance of only having "strong black men" as the face of the organization, all can and should be the face of the organization.
this

i think you are just misreading it OP

Last edited:
OP sounds like he is overreacting.

Like god forbid a movement that at its root is about equality, be inclusive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom