Black People Don't Tip Documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a server for 10 years.  I have two college degrees and still work as a server because I have yet to be offered a job that pays me as much as I make waiting tables.  If you are good at it you can make great money.  I make enough to pay my car note, do what I want, pay my bills, and support my sneaker habbit.  I can tell you if a table is going to tip me before they even sit down.  I know this is going to sound bad, but I used to hate to wait on certain black tables.  Just like I used to hate to wait on rednecks..  And teenagers..  And groups of nurses...  Now, I treat everyone the same because I don't care anymore.  Usually, someone will make up for the bad tables.  It is not stereotyping to say that black people usually do not tip as well.   Like I said, I have ten years experience doing this.  Also, I am not mad or bitter about it.  I can say this as a 100% fact.  When I was still in school for extra credit in a sociology class me and another friend who was also a server went listen to a professor present his doctorial thesis.  He did it on the stereotype that blacks get poorer service because they do not tip.  We completely tore up his whole argument.  By the end he was so frustrated that he asked us to stop so he could finish.  Mind you, he was asking for feedback as he was speaking.  This also took place at a historically black institution.  Like I said, I am not even mad.  I treat everyone exactly the same when I wait on them.  I have gotten many, many, many great tips from black tables.  But, the problem with black tables is not that they don't tip.  Like I said, there are several "groups" that are notorious to servers for not tipping.  I am a heterosexual male, but I could care less to wait on a table of hot girls.  They are not great tippers.  But, the problem is that a lot of black tables come in with a chip on their shoulders.  They come expecting things to be wrong and looking for things to complain about.  It gets to the point that you cannot please them.  I think that is more of a problem than the not tipping.  Serving is a hard job, so coming in and just making someone's job harder than it already is is a problem.
You sure that's not a stereotype dun? 

Probably why ya *** been servin tables for a decade. 
laugh.gif

I have no problem with what you said btw, but a stereotype is a stereotype, you saying its not doesn't change anything. 

Last edited:
I have been a server for 10 years.  I have two college degrees and still work as a server because I have yet to be offered a job that pays me as much as I make waiting tables.  If you are good at it you can make great money.  I make enough to pay my car note, do what I want, pay my bills, and support my sneaker habbit.  I can tell you if a table is going to tip me before they even sit down.  I know this is going to sound bad, but I used to hate to wait on certain black tables.  Just like I used to hate to wait on rednecks..  And teenagers..  And groups of nurses...  Now, I treat everyone the same because I don't care anymore.  Usually, someone will make up for the bad tables.  It is not stereotyping to say that black people usually do not tip as well.  Like I said, I have ten years experience doing this.  Also, I am not mad or bitter about it.  I can say this as a 100% fact.  When I was still in school for extra credit in a sociology class me and another friend who was also a server went listen to a professor present his doctorial thesis.  He did it on the stereotype that blacks get poorer service because they do not tip.  We completely tore up his whole argument.  By the end he was so frustrated that he asked us to stop so he could finish.  Mind you, he was asking for feedback as he was speaking.  This also took place at a historically black institution.  Like I said, I am not even mad.  I treat everyone exactly the same when I wait on them.  I have gotten many, many, many great tips from black tables.  But, the problem with black tables is not that they don't tip.  Like I said, there are several "groups" that are notorious to servers for not tipping.  I am a heterosexual male, but I could care less to wait on a table of hot girls.  They are not great tippers.  But, the problem is that a lot of black tables come in with a chip on their shoulders.  They come expecting things to be wrong and looking for things to complain about.  It gets to the point that you cannot please them.  I think that is more of a problem than the not tipping.  Serving is a hard job, so coming in and just making someone's job harder than it already is is a problem.

:rofl:

Last edited:
I have been a server for 10 years.  I have two college degrees and still work as a server because I have yet to be offered a job that pays me as much as I make waiting tables.  If you are good at it you can make great money.  I make enough to pay my car note, do what I want, pay my bills, and support my sneaker habbit.  I can tell you if a table is going to tip me before they even sit down.  I know this is going to sound bad, but I used to hate to wait on certain black tables.  Just like I used to hate to wait on rednecks..  And teenagers..  And groups of nurses...  Now, I treat everyone the same because I don't care anymore.  Usually, someone will make up for the bad tables.  It is not stereotyping to say that black people usually do not tip as well.  Like I said, I have ten years experience doing this.  Also, I am not mad or bitter about it.  I can say this as a 100% fact.  When I was still in school for extra credit in a sociology class me and another friend who was also a server went listen to a professor present his doctorial thesis.  He did it on the stereotype that blacks get poorer service because they do not tip.  We completely tore up his whole argument.  By the end he was so frustrated that he asked us to stop so he could finish.  Mind you, he was asking for feedback as he was speaking.  This also took place at a historically black institution.  Like I said, I am not even mad.  I treat everyone exactly the same when I wait on them.  I have gotten many, many, many great tips from black tables.  But, the problem with black tables is not that they don't tip.  Like I said, there are several "groups" that are notorious to servers for not tipping.  I am a heterosexual male, but I could care less to wait on a table of hot girls.  They are not great tippers.  But, the problem is that a lot of black tables come in with a chip on their shoulders.  They come expecting things to be wrong and looking for things to complain about.  It gets to the point that you cannot please them.  I think that is more of a problem than the not tipping.  Serving is a hard job, so coming in and just making someone's job harder than it already is is a problem.

Probably why ya *** been servin tables for a decade. :lol:

I have no problem with what you said btw, but a stereotype is a stereotype, you saying its not doesn't change anything. 

Would it have been OK for him to say: "From my personal experience, the majority of black cusomers I serve, do not tip well"?

laugh.gif

Yea, bruh, I am sure its not a stereotype because I have seen it happen time and time again.  Like I said, I serve tables because I choose to and I like it.  I make enough to live a comfortable life.  I work with this 40 year old black dude who is a bit of an OG, and his history is confirmed.  He hates waiting on black tables more than anyone in the building.  So it isn't just a white vs. black thing.  It is not all black people either.  There is a certain type, just like there is a certain type of white people, who will not tip no matter the quality of service.

Would it have been OK for him to say: "From my personal experience, the majority of black cusomers I serve, do not tip well"?

He could have said "******* are dirt poor and none of em tip for ****" if he hadn't prefaced it by saying it wasn't a stereotype. 

Yea, bruh, I am sure its not a stereotype because I have seen it happen time and time again.  Like I said, I serve tables because I choose to and I like it.  I make enough to live a comfortable life.  I work with this 40 year old black dude who is a bit of an OG, and his history is confirmed.  He hates waiting on black tables more than anyone in the building.  So it isn't just a white vs. black thing.  It is not all black people either.  There is a certain type, just like there is a certain type of white people, who will not tip no matter the quality of service.

Like I said, I don't take issue with the content of your post, I nitpicked one small fallacy. 

You can say its all good but I know that you know that you don't really want to be a waiter for the rest of your life. 
roll.gif

Last edited:
you ever thought that maybe, JUST maybe, it isn't based on *gasp* their skin color then?

Probably why ya *** been servin tables for a decade. :lol:

It's definitely a stereotype. You are saying that the stereotype usually rings true in your personal experience.

Originally Posted by JChambers /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He could have said "******* are dirt poor and none of em tip for ****" if he hadn't prefaced it by saying it wasn't a stereotype.

I figured that you were just arguing semantics.

Last edited:
There's a lot of generalizing going on. 

Yep. How could there not be? Look at the title of the video. I already stated my opinion. It has more to do with being ratchet than race. I guess the difference is that most scrubby white folks usually eat at Golden Corral or McDonalds etc.

Last edited:
Here is the thing.  You may have a problem with the practice of tipping.  You may feel that the establishment should pay your sever, bartender, whatever so that you don't have to.  But, they don't.  This is America, and in America tipping is practiced and an institution.  If a restaurant pair $8 an hour I wouldn't be a server.  I usually average over $20 an hour, that is why I wait tables.  If there was no money to be made you probably would NEVER get good service.  If you do not agree with tipping there are PLENTY of other options when you are hungry.  Do not take your problem with the whole idea of tipping out on the person serving you.  Not tipping isn't going to change things.  As long as you come in and pay your bill things will not change.  If the corporations continue to make money they are not going to change the way they pay people.  You are not proving any kind of point by not tipping.  If you don't like to tip, don't come in and spend money, the bottom line is what matters to these places.  You are not hurting the corporation, you are just hurting an average joe trying to pay their rent.  I know that there are a lot of servers who are not good at their job and just expect a tip.  Tip stands for "to insure prompt service".  If you do not get adequate service, don't tip.  But, if someone works hard to enhance your dining experience, you should take care of them.  I don't expect anyone in this world to do a thing for me for free.  Why should I fill your cup up ten times for free?  You paid for one drink..  If you don't want to tip me for refilling your drink, you better sip slow, homie. 

i can't get down with them messing with peoples food off bad tips though. hell i feel the same way about blacks getting minimal service due to a stereotype as well.

like i said, if i was a waiter, everyone would get top notch service the first time around, if you take care of me, i'll make sure your taken care of whenever you come in. if you don't tip me, i won't do anything to your food or none of that but don't expect any special requests or above and beyond service whenever you come bac. you'll get the bare minimim that's required from my job duties and nothing more.
This

I was a waiter for a bit and I always gave exceptional service,didn't even expect a tip ,just a thank you, you're appreciated.

Service was so good I got tipped the next day for yesterdays service bc dude didnt have cash on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom