Blake Griffin to undergo season ending surgery

Originally Posted by brandonroy3

his career path will end up very similar to odens.
nah McDyess

posted his months ago when it first happened..

His rousing dunks and prodigious rebounding had created an optimism that not even the craziness of the Latrell Sprewell saga could diminish. The Knicks might be good after all, went the thinking, what with Antonio McDyess dominating the frontline like a czar.

But in yet another cruel twist for a suddenly forlorn franchise, one of those spectacular dunks and rebounds -- done in one motion -- has, in all likelihood, ended McDyess's season and the Knicks' chances of success after only three preseason games.

McDyess, the All-Star power forward the Knicks were expecting to lead them back into playoff contention, fractured his left kneecap during the final minutes of Saturday's 94-87 exhibition loss to the Phoenix Suns at Madison Square Garden. After a magnetic resonance imaging test revealed the fracture yesterday, doctors said McDyess would be out indefinitely.

''This is a devastating blow for Antonio, knowing how hard he has worked up to this point,'' said Scott Layden, the Knicks' president and general manager. ''Knick fans had only seen a glimmer of his superior skills, and knowing Antonio, we are confident he will overcome this setback.''

McDyess, who was injured on a putback dunk with 1 minute 55 seconds left in the game, will get a second opinion within the next week. Whether he will undergo surgery has yet to be decided, but Layden said it was likely. Either way, McDyess will be out for several months.

I'll be surprised if Blake ever has the same athleticism...i'm assuming sports medicine/rehab has gotten better over the years, so maybethere is hope for him to return close to the same freaky athleticism.

clips_manning_88_240.jpg

ohwell.gif

It really sucks. I heard he had the best work ethic in his draft class, was really looking forward in seeing him play.

Originally Posted by s0313939

Blake is a bum and the clippers should have drafted Brandon Jennings

laugh.gif
Then the title of this thread would be
[h3]Brandon Jennings to undergo season ending surgery[/h3]

Minus this season, I think he'll still be a good player in the upcoming seasons. I don't think this season will ruin his career as some other injuryprone draft busts.

i really wanted to see dude play, even though im a die hard laker fan...hopefully he wont be oden pt. II

Im suffering with an inflamitory problem in my left knee and cant do anything till after surgery so I cant imagine how bad this must be for dude.

His conditioning must be gone already its gonna be a long rehab cause wat hes done so far to comeback is pretty much wasted he gotta start over again afterthis opp.

I hope he can be tha same explosive player or really itll be a damn shame.

Is it his take off leg?

Luckily for me mines not my load bearing leg that I jump off couldnt imagine how much worse it would be if it was.

Peace
Scottie

PLAYA VISTA, Calif. -- The possibility of surgery on his fractured kneecap was always in the back of Clippers forward Blake Griffin's mind, even as heslogged through the rehabilitation process with every intention of getting back on the floor before the All-Star break.

Once he experienced serious discomfort this week, that prospect became a reality. Griffin will undergo surgery Jan. 20 in Los Angeles. The current prognosisis for him to be off the court for between four and six months.

A stoic Griffin addressed the media Wednesday at the Clippers' training facility. The rookie expressed disappointment that he won't be able to takethe floor this season, but he also conveyed a calm resolve at his misfortune.

"I don't think of it as season-ending, because technically I haven't started," Griffin said. "I guess you could say it's adebut-prolonging injury."

The decision to opt for surgery came after Griffin felt pain in the knee while he was in the pool Tuesday for aquatherapy.

"I'd been cleared that day to take it a step further," Griffin said. "I felt it a little bit, and I could just tell from doing specificstuff that I wouldn't be able to be 100 percent."

At the time of the initial diagnosis of a broken kneecap, Griffin had two choices: surgery or the extensive treatment regimen he's followed over thepast 12 weeks.

"Letting it heal would be the quicker option, so obviously we had to give that a try," he said. "That was the prognosis of multipledoctors."

As faithful as Griffin was to the rehabilitation process, his kneecap was never able to recover fully from the treatment, leaving season-ending surgery asthe last resort.

"This isn't how I planned for my first year to go," Griffin said.

As difficult as the decision has been, Griffin noted that shutting it down for the season ends the waiting game, which was almost as excruciating as therehab.

"It relieves any expectations for this season," Griffin said. "Now I'm looking forward to next season."

By not logging a single minute during the 2009-10 regular season, Griffin will officially start the 2010-11 season as a rookie. He'll be eligible forthe NBA's Rookie of the Year award, but other issues surrounding his status remain uncertain.

"Hopefully next year I won't have to get doughnuts or wear a backpack or anything like that," he said. "I'm going to sit down andhave a meeting with the veterans, so we'll see."

Back
Top Bottom