:::::::::::BMW QUESTION::::::::::::::

My uncle recently bought a used 745i; ok mileage, decent price, 2002. Then he comes to find out that it has an oil leak, some of the sensors aren't working, and one of the doors electronics doesn't work at all. He wants to know how much it a tune-up will cost him?
EDIT-Yeah and the door handle for the passenger is pretty much broken also.

just return it
laugh.gif

Could've called a dealership or shop and had a price before you finished making the post.

02 7 series = POS, itll likely spend more time at the shop than on the road, not to mention ALL of the electrical gremlins

Originally Posted by Lemonade41

02 7 series = POS, itll likely spend more time at the shop than on the road, not to mention ALL of the electrical gremlins

Yup he's right, 02-04 are POS!  I was on the verge of buying one myself, ended up buying an E46 M3 thank the lawd!!  I saw the carfax reports of all the cars I looked at and all of them had been in the shop at least 20 times with in the first year for warranty repairs LOL.  Scared the bejezus outta me 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Probably more than he paid for the car.

Truth.

How is he buying a car w/o doing a thorough inspection? That passenger door handle was an easy catch
laugh.gif

seriously...i don't like these cars. The only thing I like about them is playing around with the seat configurations. Aside from that, they're garbage imo. I've got one that's been sitting at my job for the past 2 months cuz the guy doesn't have the money to foot the bill...and he's still gonna have to tow it to the dealer and spend more money fixing the rest of the problems. Although its gonna cost your uncle a pretty penny, I'd suggest taking it to the dealer or a shop that specializes on bmws, etc and make sure they have all the software, etc to work on it.

Tune up on that car likely runs around 350-500.

How about have him to go a dealership or a reputable euro-shop and have them quote him. But my guess would be at least $1000, those replacement bimmer oil pans arent cheap.

And the door handles dont work? Your uncle should have checked out the entire car first, then take it in for a PPI. I'm sure your uncle will run into more problems guraranteed.

Originally Posted by LTMS206

My uncle recently bought a used 745i; ok mileage, decent price, 2002. Then he comes to find out that it has an oil leak, some of the sensors aren't working, and one of the doors electronics doesn't work at all. He wants to know how much it a tune-up will cost him?
EDIT-Yeah and the door handle for the passenger is pretty much broken also.

the 2002 7 Series is the worst BMW ever made.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
- Sorry.  Should've done some research before buying the car.  Check out Lemon Laws and recall websites.  I was looking at a used 7 or 5 series and I came across a mint condition 2002 E65 and that's when I learned never to buy one of those.  I would just flip that car, take the L and buy another car.  Honestly its not worth fixing it.

Shouldve got an E46 M3 or E39 M5. 

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Probably more than he paid for the car.
laugh.gif

Your uncle must have wanted that 7 series so badly he forgot to use his brain...

Originally Posted by Seattle206

How about have him to go a dealership or a reputable euro-shop and have them quote him. But my guess would be at least $1000, those replacement bimmer oil pans arent cheap.
he will be happy if its just an oil pan and nothing worse.

How about them E34's and E30's.. Im still an avid fan of those shapes - its really hard to find a mint-condition though.

DSC00792.JPG

I think the E36 shape does it for me the best.. followed by the E46 M3, E39, E34, E30.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

is your uncle Jamaican?
lol what? no hes peruvian actually.
Yes I agree he was stupid in buying the car, he did no type of inspection on the car(only god knows why). But now he has to face the facts becuz its sitting there in the driveway no matter what. honestly he really did forget to use his brain hence all the problems he's going through.

laugh.gif
he needs alot more than a tune-up

but everything you just said is fixable...bring it a BMW shop close by and have about 2-3k ready -

the electronics thing can be anything from a bad wire connection, fuse, battery etc

the good news is they have most of the problems figured out- the bad news is he's way outta warranty and it's gonna cost-

The early E65 7-series are prone to electrical gremlins due to their first generation fiber-optic wiring harnesses.

The 4.4liter V8 itself is fine, but everything that surrounds it (even the self leveling bi-xenon headlights) is garbage.

Back
Top Bottom