boldest statement ever made

Trying to make this thread a little more interesting:

Post some of your most thought provoking / powerful / deep / insightful / compelling / etc. quotes or statements 

Some of the previous and more serious responses are:

If I were the devil (video) - Paul Harvey

I'm not saying I'm going to change the world, but I guarantee I will spark the brain, that will change the world. - Tupac

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. - Romans 10:13

Give me liberty, or give me death. - Patrick Henry

Father, Father, why have you forsaken me?

The law is anything I write on a piece of paper. - Saddam Hussein 

A diploma ain't nothing but a piece of paper.

I am become Death, the destroyer of the worlds. - Hindu scripture quoted by J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atomic bomb)

The Great Dictator (speech) - Charlie Chaplin

They may take our lives, but not our freedom. -William Wallace (Braveheart) 

I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo Galilei

To live like a king you have to work like a peasant. 

I am an optimistic, I am a prisoner of hope. - Dr. Cornel West

We're more popular than Jesus now ... Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. - John Lennon

There are plenty of powerful/bold quotes throughout history, so to put your finger on one single quote is difficult, especially considering context. Cool topic though, made me think of this line he mentioned in his speech

"I am not optimistic, I am a prisoner of hope" Dr. Cornel West

Heard him speak at my school the other day, he elaborates here:
"RS: So you're optimistic about the future?

Cornel West: The categories of optimism and pessimism don't exist for me. I'm a blues man. A blues man is a prisoner of hope, and hope is a qualitatively different category than optimism. Optimism is a secular construct, a calculation of probability. Black folk in America have never been optimistic about the future - what have we had to be optimistic about? But we are people of hope. Hope wrestles with despair, but it doesn't generate optimism. It just generates this energy to be courageous, to bear witness, to see what the end is going to be. No guarantee, unfinished, open-ended. I'm a prisoner of hope. I'm going to die full of hope..."

Dude is brilliant

Last night my buddy said Manu Ginobili was top 3 in the NBA in his prime. One of the boldest statements I ever heard... He didn't even mention Duncan.

Originally Posted by Jay02

Last night my buddy said Manu Ginobili was top 3 in the NBA in his prime. One of the boldest statements I ever heard... He didn't even mention Duncan.
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by NikFiend

"RS: So you're optimistic about the future?

Cornel West: The categories of optimism and pessimism don't exist for me. I'm a blues man. A blues man is a prisoner of hope, and hope is a qualitatively different category than optimism. Optimism is a secular construct, a calculation of probability. Black folk in America have never been optimistic about the future - what have we had to be optimistic about? But we are people of hope. Hope wrestles with despair, but it doesn't generate optimism. It just generates this energy to be courageous, to bear witness, to see what the end is going to be. No guarantee, unfinished, open-ended. I'm a prisoner of hope. I'm going to die full of hope..."

Dude is brilliant
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I'm pretty sure that if there was a list of these sorts of statements then Tupac wouldn't be anywhere near it.

"A diploma aint nothing but a sheet of paper.."
- High school classmate

"I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." - J. Robert Oppenheimer "Father of the atomic bomb"

Shortly after the first successful nuclear detonation at Trinity

"We're more popular than Jesus now…Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary." john lennon

"Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Derived from the Bhagavad Gita

Back
Top Bottom