Book Club...What are you reading?

Just finished Crime and Punishment by Dostoyesvsky a few days ago; starting Search Sweet Country by Kojo Laing.

Just finished this:

It's a bunch of essays so it makes for a really quick read, and its actually quite funny. Especially the Zack Morris essay.

I'm currently reading CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802) preparing to take my A+ certification exam in January.

I studied for my A+ just by going over the questions in the test engine that came with the CD-ROM for:
CompTIA A+ Certification All-In-One For Dummies

read over the questions for a few minutes a day and you'll basically memorize them. When I took the exam, it was the same questions and answers word for word. I was in and out of the testing center in about 15 minutes.

i might have the ISO for the CD-ROM somewhere around here . . .

I'm a sucker for science fiction . . . military science fiction with a video game tie-in even more . . .
Gears of War: Aspho Fields by Karen Traviss

I barely played the video game, but I can't put the book down.

That book is :smokin . All the Gears books are great too.

The Gears Universe and the Gears of War story is very good and very deep. Unfortunately the video game present the story is a very cheesy way

Damn, I'm telling ya'll read Lolita. It's the best book I've ever read. The way it's written is the most amazing way I've ever seen anything written. It takes on so many different form of story (fairy tale, psychoanalysis, crime drama, etc.). Though the subject matter is of the most horrid taboo, it is really that good. I really recommend it.

I also plan on looking into that Greene and Sex, Drugs, & Cocoa Puffs joint ya'll talkin bout.

Damn, I'm telling ya'll read Lolita. It's the best book I've ever read. The way it's written is the most amazing way I've ever seen anything written. It takes on so many different form of story (fairy tale, psychoanalysis, crime drama, etc.). Though the subject matter is of the most horrid taboo, it is really that good. I really recommend it.

I also plan on looking into that Greene and Sex, Drugs, & Cocoa Puffs joint ya'll talkin bout.

Book was :pimp: had me all confused and stuff. Just recently wrote a paper on it too :lol:
Now reading Austerlitz...

Finished a few short books last night.

David Frum's Why Romney Lost - A short, honest analysis of Romney's loss and, to a larger extent, the GOP's loss in 2012. More of a long essay than a book. Nothing special in here, but still a solid read.

Tucker Max's Sloppy Seconds - it is a free e-book for a reason. Meh.

I'll look into Klosterman or something similar for my diversion-type reading, TM isn't doing it for me anymore.

I started the ESPN book yesterday as well - 60 pages in. I'm still iffy on the oral history style for such a large book, but I need to read more before I make a definite judgment.

David Frum's Why Romney Lost - A short, honest analysis of Romney's loss and, to a larger extent, the GOP's loss in 2012. More of a long essay than a book. Nothing special in here, but still a solid read.
I'll look into Klosterman or something similar for my diversion-type reading, TM isn't doing it for me anymore.
I started the ESPN book yesterday as well - 60 pages in. I'm still iffy on the oral history style for such a large book, but I need to read more before I make a definite judgment.
yeah sloppy seconds really wasnt great.. i hope they serve beer in hell and ***** holes finish first are the two best imo 

is why romney lost worth the read, saw someone on cnn talking abour david frum..

yeah sloppy seconds really wasnt great.. i hope they serve beer in hell and ***** holes finish first are the two best imo 
is why romney lost worth the read, saw someone on cnn talking abour david frum..

For its length, it should have been priced lower, between $1-2 I think. That was my main problem with it. Content-wise, it needed more concrete policy proposals. Saying "the GOP should do more for the working-class, lower- and middle-income brackets" and then not saying specifically WHAT is a glaring omission.

Overall, it was fine but not special. There will be better 2012 election wrap-ups out there (and there probably are some better ones out there already for free).

Last edited:
Just finished Murakami's Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World. Highly recommend it. It gives off a very surreal vibe yet feels real at the same time.

Starting Freakonomics today I'm putting antifragile down this book is confusing..after I read freakonomics ill give it another try

Started reading "The Celestine Prophecy" after 2 of my friends both recommended it in the same week. Must have been a sign.

Currently, reading A Lion's Tale - Around The World in Spandex, about 40% through it. Really good read, I always love reading about all the bull **** people had to go through in order to make it big. Keeps me motivated. Next up, American Psycho--my favorite movie, always wanted to read the novel.

Kindle FTW

Just finished reading
last week. :nthat:

I could not put the book down and it was a really quick and easy read.

I can't wait for the movie.

*might have forgotten a few or one or two 

2010: (Not in any order) 

Grendel 

Epic of Gilgamesh 

Beowulf 

The Odyssey 

2011: 

Life of Pi by Yann Martel 

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho 

Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich 

2012:

Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion by Gregory Boyle 

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald 

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger 

The Odyssey 

White Teeth by Zadie Smith 

The Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare 

Macbeth by Shakespeare 

The Tempest by Shakespeare 

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides 

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto by Chuck Klosterman

2013: 

1984 by George Orwell

Does no one just go to the bookstore and just pick up books?

Screw all the recommendations, highschool reading lists, etc....

Last few books i read.

When will there be good news Kate Atkinson (loooooooooved this joint)

Nuclear Jellyfish - Tim Dorsey - another great one, and has a lot of humor throughout to keep the drama flowing.

Back
Top Bottom