Boston Celtics: Legit threat for 70 Ws?

With the East looking both stronger and weaker than ever and the Celtics eating the league so far without breaking a sweat, do they have a real chance to atleast tie the record the old Bulls set at 72 wins? What about breaking the record?

KG and either Paul Pierce or Ray Allen is enough to carry this team past the majority of the competition in the NBA. It is unlikely that KG gets hurt, soif/when one of the other big 3 go down, the only thing their team will probably lose is a few points from their average margin of victory.

NT, let your voice be heard.

i dont think they really care about the record. those 3 guys are veterans and know the regular season does not matter as much as the playoffs.

laugh.gif
Ok, can we get some actual thought going into these opinions. Some ofyou probably said the Patriots would go 8-8 this year. I couldn't care less about Boston, but I enjoy greatness. Somebody tell me why this team doesn'thave a real chance to get 70. They have a nearly indestructible player in KG, a pair of 20 ppg scorers in case one goes down, one of the best defenses in theleague, great chemistry already, and last I checked they are winning games by an average of 16 points. They play in the east where there is no team theywouldn't be favored against. Anybody?

Only losing 10 games in an NBA season as the Bulls did is extremely difficult, so I'm very confident that the record is safe, but I can definitely see themwinning 65+ what with how weak the NBA is nowadays. One very key factor will be health.

No. For one, their schedule is a joke thus far and the reason for their great start. The combined record of the teams they have beat thus far is sub .500. Theydon't even go out west until after xmas and that's just Sacrmento, LA, and Seattle. It gets real for them when the new yr starts. Keep in mind, each ofthe big 3 are over 30 and playing nearly 35-40 minutes a night. They will be worn down while at the same time going into the hardest part of their schedule. Igot them with 58 wins

look who they've played so far. once they start playing some of the elite teams you'll see the losses start adding up. I say they finish with about 55wins.

Actually, their schedule post all star break is brutal. They don't even play PHX for the first time until March 26, also go into the Southwest division(Texas triangle plus NO) in March.

And again, they are all playing close to 40 minutes a game now just to eek out wins at the buzzer against Toronto.

About the potential for injury....let's say Ray Allen goes down. Who here thinks that the combination of KG and Paul Pierce just isn't enough tocompete with the majority of the east and still easily handle the sub .500 teams in the league? What about KG and Ray? If KG goes down, it's a differentstory, I'll give you that. But what are the chances of that happening?

My main point is that the east is watered down like never before. The Pistons aren't what they used to be, the Wiz will eventually turn it around but attheir best they can't #%^& with the Celtics, the Heat are looking like they won't have a 2 game win streak until early February, then you have theCavs, Bulls, Nets, Raptors, Bucks, etc. The biggest test for the Celtics in the east is probably the Magic and we'll see how that goes on Sunday.

I understand they haven't played any elite teams yet but I think you guys will eventually see that they themselves are an elite team. Of course theywon't dominate against the top teams in the west but they have a legit chance to beat any team in the league.

well if they keep playing at this pace (going 8-0 or w/e) they'll go undefeated this season

They won't win 70. They might win 60. Those young guys will all have long stretches where they can't put the ball in the ocean. But they are alllooking REAL NICE right now. But be clear, if either Pierce OR Allen go down, so do the Celtics. We won't even talk about what happens if G goes down...

You never now, I'd say 60 is reasonable, but lets wait till they lose a couple and see what happens.

only 7 games in.... it be interesting to see how tired they will be come Feb..... i'd be suprised if they break 60....i say 53 or 54 wins is reasonable.

no. not 70 w's. im intersted in seein what this team is gonna do in the long run, but i cant wait for them to get there 1st loss. man why is the NBAseasons soooo long? why do they need that many games? there gonna get tired. ray, garnett, pierce wont be able to carry the team once things start to look bad.

Originally Posted by leemelone

laugh.gif
and last I checked they are winning games by an average of 16 points.

and last i checked they haven't won against dallas, san antonio, houston, phoenix, hell even detroit for that matter. go win convinsingly in texas andthen the celtics can talk. the celtics are dominating every game they play but they've played a cream puff schedule so far. this team is hot right now butthere gonna cool off. remember the 04 lakers? people were thinkin 70 wins for them and it looked legit when they started something like 18-3. they eventuallycooled off and won 56 games.
this teams success will be measured upon how they play dallas, san antonio, and phoenix. if they compete with them they have achance to do something special. the east is weak so they have a huge shot at comming out the east just because of that

these celtics are gonna lose a few games to crappy teams. it happens to all great teams, even the 1996 bulls lost to the 23 win expansion team raptors. thisceltics team is gonna cool off and pace themselves for an 82 game season and will lose a few games in the process.
also to the guy who thinks they have achance to at least tie the bulls record remember this DOC RIVERS COACHES YOUR TEAM. your big 3 have played in a total of 0 nba finals games combined.

this team should win about 55-60 games and that itself would be something remarkable itself considering it would be a 30+ win improvement from last season.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

And again, they are all playing close to 40 minutes a game now just to eek out wins at the buzzer against Toronto.

Wow. Let's completely ignore that they've blown out almost every other team they've played this season.
laugh.gif

vs Washington +20
vs. Denver +23
vs.Atlanta +23
vs. NJ +11
vs.Indiana +15
vs. NJ +22

With that said, it's much too early to be talking about 70 wins. $$*% ESPN and their hype. It's a long season. I don't care if the Celts win70-80 games. Hell, even if they go 82-0, it won't matter if they don't win a championship. This is the Celtics, not the Raptors. This organizationcelebrates championships, not division titles.

Back
Top Bottom