Boxing champ Pacquiao is now ‘Dr. Pacquiao’

AIE BALAGTAS SEE, GMANews.TV
02/19/2009 | 11:04 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao was conferred the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Humanities (Honoris Causa) by Southwestern University (SWU) in Cebu City, a television report said Thursday.

In her report aired over "24 Oras," GMA News' Cebu City correspondent Lalaine Go said university president Dr. Eldigario Gonzales bestowed the award to Pacquiao on Wednesday evening at Waterfront Hotel.

Gonzalez said the doctorate degree was conferred to Pacquiao not just to honor his success in boxing but also for his initiative to help his country men.

The report said Pacquiao was supposed to receive Doctorate for Human Kinetic" but the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) said such does not exist.

Pacquiao meanwhile welcomed the recognition. In his speech, he took pot shots at his critics when he said that intelligence is not measured by the books one reads.

"Ang katalinuhan at kagalingan ng Pilipino ay hindi nasusukat sa dami ng librong nababasa [The intelligence of a Filipino is not measured through the books he reads]," he said.

Pacquiao also thanked SWU for believing in him despite earning flak from groups who are opposed to it. "Sa kabila ng batikos sa Southernwestern University, pinagpatuloy niyo pa rin ang pagtitiwala sa akin. Maraming salamat po sa inyong pagtitiwala," he said.

["Despite the criticism, you still honored me with this. Thank you for your trust."] - GMANews.TV

good stuff by pac-man, especially when he helps our fellow filipinos
pimp.gif

Congrats to my boy's school Southwestern
pimp.gif
(his family owns it) Instead of paying Pacquiao millions to advertise the school, they give him this doctor's award
laugh.gif
Pure genius

this has nothing to do with the story.but me and m bro went jogging early in the morning at Pan Pacific Park. and my boy MP popped out of nowhere, jogging withhis dog [Pacman] i just had to take a picture with the peoples champ before i head to pinas.. hehe heres the pic btw..

lol^ yhup my friends cousin lives @ the plazzo not next door to where manny lives but i seen em inside while he was walking out. guy is really funny and chill

that's great! def a lot of random manny pacquiao sightings here in LA, my aunt's niece saw him before at Seafood City buying veggies at the Vermontbranch and a friend of mine saw him at Temple, Historic Filipinotown

Back
Top Bottom