BoyCott or Not???

i agree with the post starter, but again, it's their money and their time......if they feel more power by waiting on line till lord knows whenever to getlimited j's, then that's them........

"quote:I am a proud African American male who looks to history always to gain perspective. How many of you would really sit out a pack, retro, lazer,spizike or whatever release to send a message just like the great African American leaders of the past who sacrificed so much for me and others to be able totype this message to you right now. I'm not going to give you lecture about social justice since Jordan's are a luxury item but think people!!!! Thisis ridiculous. Without Martin Luther King there would be no Michael Jordan. Martin Luther King Jr. understood the only way to send a message to racist in thesouth was not just through peaceful disobedience because of social injustice but through the bottom line in economics!!!!!"quote"

if you are a proud african american male as you say you are, and i'm not disputing that, then you know who runs the economic aspect of nike.....not michaeljordan.......it is probably a white person. they know we will spend our money on things like this........it's like the shoes are a priority over everythingelse............you can sit here and say "boycott", but that probably will NEVER happen............when guys get older, they'llunderstand..............we have a very powerful spending dollar in this country, but we choose to give it to other people foolishly.........so as long as thiscontinues, you can forget the boycott.................

Originally Posted by AirUpHere23

Masaro...you don't concern me, you never have, and you never will and I'm just takin the time to type this seeing how I write something and you feel the need to quote me.

Really? Sounds like someone's mad.....

So how come you replied me twice over my inbox when I ignored your pathetic reply which was irrelevant anyways since you didn't know how to read?
I just thought it's funny to see how you like to contradict yourself in numerous post by agreeing others...I guess you sway whenever you can...sorry forpointing out your ignorance. Don't bother replying to me or writing to my inbox, kiddo
roll.gif

Originally Posted by MASARO

Originally Posted by AirUpHere23

Masaro...you don't concern me, you never have, and you never will and I'm just takin the time to type this seeing how I write something and you feel the need to quote me.

Really? Sounds like someone's mad.....

So how come you replied me twice over my inbox when I ignored your pathetic reply which was irrelevant anyways since you didn't know how to read?
I just thought it's funny to see how you like to contradict yourself in numerous post by agreeing others...I guess you sway whenever you can...sorry for pointing out your ignorance. Don't bother replying to me or writing to my inbox, kiddo
roll.gif
Okay........

Originally Posted by NY GIANTS 11

thedonR

PROPS ON THE MOG AVATAR! FF3 IS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES EVER!

I still play it

props on the giants avi too.. super bowl champs baby
smokin.gif

I appreciate the responses. I know there is no way for us all to get on the same page but once again knowledge is power. I just wanted my thoughts to get outthere because I do read Nike talk at least three times a week a lot less than I did when I was in college and I get this feeling from reading all of the peoplewho feel like I do there is got to be some real dialogue on what we helped to build. I have been on this board for a long time and it really bothers me thatit seems like some people really are resigned with challenging the status quo. Change can happen in no matter what facet of life. Nike talk in my opinion isthe only place where conscious shoe enthusiasts have intellectual conversations with each other and I know the sentiment is here. You do not have tonecessarily agree with everything that I am saying but how many of you would write Nike/Jordan Brand and express your grievances??? I 've actually beenthinking about it and I believe I will write Nike and see what the response will be. The worst thing that will happen is that they just continue with what weall ready believe they will continue on today. I realize that some of you are resigned to just accept where the brand is going and only express your intereston Nike talk but at the end of the day the loudest chamber to hear your voice is in the economic realm. I do not frequent the board like i used to but howmany of you are really satisfied... I know some people will always buy and complain but I really believe the analogy I made between boy cotting items and thecivil rights movement is true. If you are not satisfied with your position speak on it list your grievances and speak with your money. The brand has claimedto be about love so I think love needs to be given back. If you really understand the concept of love than you know it is based in truth and the the truth isif you want this trend to continue remember my analogy because I still know plenty of African Americans and other oppressed peoples who run to theback of the bus with there retro plus, lazer , spizike, limited edition maid in China, Taiwan Indonesia or whatever 3rd world country whichhas human rights violation Jordan's on.

I feel you bro(SLG ) on the whole boycott,but it aint gonna happen.I'm latino so I know what you going with this but the hood dont care G.Things are theway they are.This is my last year with jb and I'm fo reals with it.All this packages and limited jordans......its just a different ball game right now.Ican picture how bad its going to be next year.This is jb were talking about now. They were not getting the same kind of sales in 2000 like 2007.As long aspeople keeping gasing jordans as the kicks to keep on your feet the gimmicks ain't going away.
roll.gif

let all the 90's crack babies buy all the yellow banana,lime green,grapefruit colorways
roll.gif

Life is not fair, If their is an excessive price point for something that may not be perceived as superior quality. Thats a choice the consumer has to make. Caveat Empor. If Lexus chooses to price their premium vehicles an extra 10,000 do you boycott?? No you get the less expensive model that fits in your budget. The shoe game evolves and i see where they going. In the long run it aids in increasing re sale value to the shoes for serious collectors.
roll.gif

The reason that I wrote this topic was to hear what people who say if you put the ultimate question to them. Would you buy Jordan's just have them orwould you make a stand on principle. I love Nike talk for this reason and any one who views my information can see I have been here for a long time stretchingback to 9 years un officially. Some of you are fine with your place in this capitalistic system and some are not but my simple question still comes back toyou as the individual. At this rate it will take longer, poorer quality ,and worsening economic conditions to get some of you to see where I am going. Jordanbrand/ Nike are a lot of things but stupid is not one of them. I like many of you remember how I felt back in 2001 when they took Nike Air of the back of theshoes simply with the response of we are trying to keep something special for the folks who had the originals. I remember reading posts after posts of peoplewho were angry but most of us took it and have been taking bastardizations since. I agree that many people who will never co-sign with this but I must saythat Nike talk is the key. Please remember that this is the place where people warned us of disagreement in the future of the brand but the majority just keepson rolling and purchasing and to an extent I have been guilty as well but sentiment is growing with dissatisfaction. To those who know what's going on andhave been complaining about this for years now and we must keep complaining to let the younger people know that this is business pure and simple and do not besurprised in the next 10, 15, or 20 years to see that same shoes out again but at a higher price with a cheaper value and perhaps even a NIKE AIR sighting onthe back of your favorite Aire Jordans pure and simple. To MR. East ATL and whoever else on this board who use the life is not fair argument and thatcapitalism wins again approach read what I am saying because without US(NIKE TALK) the original most loyal consumer base what is Nike/ Jordanbrand??? The more I look through other posts about topics similar to this I see a disconect in age and life experienence. If you are here you love shoes butif we do not step up what message are we leaving and why are we doing that than I cannot immagine the state of shoe culture 10, 20, to 30 years from now. Iknow that this might not have changed the majorities mines but Nike talk is where the shoe intelligentsia congregates not the hype beasts or people who aregiven credence over post count. We have and always will be able to determine tour own destiny and the brands in the process but are you willing to sacrificeyourself is the real question which comes back to the brand in the form of real love. I teach children in low economically challenged part of my city andall they understand is that Jordan's are a status symbol pure and simple. They never have seen Mike play a game and some of them don't want to watchold video either or know anything valid accept when the release date is. All they care about is the jump man now and no desire to understand the legacy ofarguably the greatest player ever in context to the shoes so many covet more than their free education. That is deeper but I just want to fight for thecollege student like I used to be to have the means to purchase a high quality product at a price which forces me to not have to sacrifice or not . I knowJordan's are luxury but the brazenness in the last few years have my close friends, myself , and many of you on Nike Talk in a strange state because weknow we are consumers who are very loyal; but when you get older you see it for what it is and it makes you think back on the older heads who kissed the gamegood bye through out the years because Nike just keeps on moving on but do we. The petitions have worked in the past people but I fear many are resigned to becomplacent so I will end with this knowledge is power and I hope perhaps I have at least one person thinking or waiting when they decided to put a pair orpairs of shoes at the top of their priority lists when they most doubtingly will be able to get them again with less quality!

Jesus. I haven't even bothered coming here in almost a year because it's always nothing but whining. No one puts a gun to your head and says, pay $700for an iPhone. No one says go on eBay and pay $1500 for a PS3 because you have to be the first to have it. In the last year, I've really had to curb what Ibuy because it hasn't been financially viable for me to buy things. I worried about having to pass on the Aquas and Playoff VIII's because typically,original colors are a bear to track down. But I noticed, on the fire red III's when I passed on them, every third person on eBay had them. The qualityissue has been beaten to death at least 3 herds over now, and it's just gotten to the point it's not worth bringing up a post on it. The limited natureof the shoes is almost as bad. I can remember 20 years ago, there were FOUR total colors in a given year, allstar, season, start of next season and a summercolor. That was it. And they weren't easy to always track down either. Now, we have 10 colors a year with all the stupid variations of each shoe, andpeople still whine. No, I'm not amused with the collection packs simply because I don't live anywhere near where I can pick them up. But for everyperson here crying about a limited edition pack, how they plan to boycott it, there's 10 people who couldn't care less, and are going to buy it andresell it. And THAT is who Nike is catering to and has been for years. They don't care who ends up with the shoes in the end, fans, collectors, or a bum onthe corner. As long as Nike makes X number of shoes for 10 times X number of consumers, and Y number of crybabies sit around crying in their milk, Z is outthere buying the things off the back of the truck and making a mint because some poser in a suit who has more money than he knows what to do with will gladlypay twice retail to avoid waking up early on a Saturday morning to buy them. The shoe game has changed, and I'll tell you right now, like every other'collector's' thing the last 15 years, it's dead. Get the coffin measured up and the headstone chiseled. People are worried about their jobs,about gas being $4 a gallon by year's end. They're worried about how to pay their mortgages. A $310 pack of shoes reselling for damn near $500isn't their priority. How to feed their kids or themselves is. Sitting at Finishline freezing their %%!@# of for a pair of $230 is less an issue as whetheror not they can squeeze enough gas into their car to get to work so they can squeeze a little more money into their house payment so they have a place to live.I've really been amazed and appalled by the sheer number of socially unconcious humans there are, not just on this site, but in general. Those zombiemorons who will buy EVERYTHING they are told to, but pay no attention to the election. People who go in and have to buy an SUV because the neighbor bought one,even with gas at all time highs and going up. I work as an office manager in El Paso, fielding calls from Veterans Affairs offices, military installations andgovernment offices all over the country, and if you think we're trying to avoid a recession, you aren't paying attention. It's already here. NO ONEhas money. If you do, you're either making a very good living, or living with mommy and daddy. Instead of boycotting a god damned shoe, how about watchinga political debate and decide which Axis of Evil is worth voting for; Hillary, Obama or McCain. How about worrying about the future of this country, when noone has a home to live in after the banks have taken everything back in foreclosure. How about growing a spine, and instead of worrying about other peoplebacking you up on a belief of not buying a shoe for chrissakes, do it for yourself. Do it so you maybe have that extra $200 to take your kds on a vacation, ormaybe to add to the house payment so when unemployment hits 15% or higher at the end of the year, you're not on a street corner begging for change to coverbills. Some of you people here really have no sense whatsoever of the world around you, and seem to live in some dream land where nothing matters without aNike or a Jumpman on it.

Originally Posted by chernabog915

The shoe game has changed, and I'll tell you right now, like every other 'collector's' thing the last 15 years, it's dead. Get the coffin measured up and the headstone chiseled. People are worried about their jobs, about gas being $4 a gallon by year's end. They're worried about how to pay their mortgages. A $310 pack of shoes reselling for damn near $500 isn't their priority. How to feed their kids or themselves is. Sitting at Finishline freezing their %%!@# of for a pair of $230 is less an issue as whether or not they can squeeze enough gas into their car to get to work so they can squeeze a little more money into their house payment so they have a place to live.

youre completely right about the way the economy is shaping up, but be realistic, how many people that buy all of these shoes can really afford it in thefirst place? i would wager that at least half (probably more) of jordan brand sales are going to people where the median household income is 30k or less andthere is some kind of government assistance involved. every time i see a ******ed post that reads "COPPED X 3!!1!1!" i think to myself theresanother happy credit card company and future bankruptcy in progress.....that affects the rest of us responsible tax paying citizens eventually.

none of that will change until the fad moves on to something else, but point is these people dont have their money right to be buying shoes at these pricesregardless of what the economy is so i dont know that it will matter much. my household income is over 100k and i know that i cant afford to buy multiples ofevery pack plus signature lines, etc. granted, i have a mortgage, three cars and real life responsibilities, but if i cant do it i know damn well a majorityof jordan brand customer demographic cant, either.....at least legally.

I get where you're comin from man. Everyone that has somethin negative to is just about tryna make themselves look bigger. All the man wanted was othersopinions sheesh. But on the real, it IS a lost cause. Half the ppl on NT today are young kids who's parents buy them anything they want so they don'tsee it as their money being wasted/spent. I have a seed on the way and wit the way the quality/price ratio is going, I'm glad. It won't hurt me toomuch to have to pass on a lot of sneakers, none the less others are still gon cop. You have those that are in the street not knowin the difference between goodand bad quality, all they know is, if it has a Jumpman on it and followed by a roman numeral or "retro" they need to have it for street cred. Andit's always the newest things. See we as a culture on NT (might as well be one) are more focused on buying what we like, look, shape, comfort, quality,price, etc; others just care about the name. Maybe JB figures if you have 1million people out of 1,003,000 (3000 bein NT members, number not accurate) buyinglow quality fakes wit the Jumpman logo just b/c the logo's on there, why not get in on that and do the same thing, just throw the "authentic" tagin there and they have the upper hand no matter what. JB is puttin out a lot of OG colorways I wanted as a child in these upcomin packs but wit the quality,I'm passin w/o any questions. A boycott is extremely farfetched to the least so look at it this way, it aint your money, if ppl wanna be stupid and spendtheir or their parents hard earn money on low quality b.s. then by all means, do what you gotta do. I said my peace, and to all who wanna have negativefeedback, thanks, I know I did my job.........think about it.

Man I feel ya pain,.. half of the retros that come out now are no where near as good quality as the originals.. Ive been a member for years and have alwaysfelt like GENTRY and those in charge at NIKE / JORDAN brand dont really give a damn about us the consumer ...and everyone on NIKETALK talks a good game aboutdoing something about it but has anything changed.... I get a discount on all my nike stuff and when I think about it thats still to high in the long ... Butanyway i would love to follow you into ur missiom to boycott, but we all know that it will be someone who buys the shoes anyway.. But think of it like this ,what other JORDAN brand items are coming out that you would seriously buy anyway ... O well its gonna be hard times if they really do stop selling retros ....
Ya dig ,,, and this is coming from an EX NIKE employee ...

wont work b unless theres some way to talk to jordan and complain or summin its virtual impossible to make millions not but jordans b this might work thoughhave like 100 ppl stand infront of Jordan Brand tell them bring bak the OG"s nike air at the bakk BETTER QUALITY

The point of this topic is to really start some sort of dialogue in the same place where resentment rests. Many people keep telling me they feel the same wayI do but are maligned to believe that if you make a choice individually it will not matter but the reality is that it will. Some things in life must be donepragmatically but I know the sentiment among the most loyalist and most educated is growing. I truly do appreciate the the robust and thoughtful responses but everyone must know that they matter in this. If you truly speak with your dollars and your actions it does not matter how many people you think are doingthe opposite because you in some way have made change in your community and the people who view you. I wrote this already knowing that many of you would besupportive but not supportive on the action front. Just imagine if we set out one release based on principle in some sort of strategic matter I bet some peoplein Oregon would start taking notice. The economy is already bad but as many of you know Jordan brand will survive the recession but we can help determine how. I am not asking anyone to march in line with me but please realize that your benign neglect and indifference is part of the problem as well becausecorporations like Nike depend upon that. Nike does not even advertise their retro releases and why should they since everyone just gives them red carpet onwhatever they want. This topic is truly about discussion and choices and the belief that if we really wanted to we could get better quality, Nike Air , orwhatever else we really wanted. We don't have to accept this but many of you will keep the cycle going until we have thunder and lightening, laseredition, retro plus, dub , patent leather spizzzzeroespikes with movable shroud!

I made this post in another thread, and I think it goes well with this post you made SLP.

With that mentality you'll never get what you really want.

Why should you settle for anything you don't agree with.

You can compromise and try to meet in the middle, but this is lopsided and you THINK you have no choice.

That's exactly why things are the way they are now. If those True Blue 3's would have never sold well as well as all of the other CRAP they put out that we weren't happy with, things would be how we want them.

We control what/how they do things, we just have to realize it. Without us they won't be crap.

I'm waiting for someone to say oh we're only a small percetage of the sneaker industry. That maybe true, but we are a big reason why it is the way it is good and bad. By the way a couple of months ago when RockDeep would post up those sales figures the top selling Jordan for every month sold only like 100,000-125,000.

We're a 60,000 user community, along with other sneaker websites, and don't forget the 160's who cop multiples and regular user who cop multiples 60,000 x 2 = 120,000. So don't tell me we are a small percentage...to me we are the percetage.

You guys may not realize it, but we have the power to make them do what we want them to do. It doesn't matter anyway nobody is going to listen anyway as long as they have their fresh J's.

One day you'll all understand when you get older and your priorities change, trust me. You'll all see what I'm talking about when they re-release all of this crap that they are releasing today that you'll all be hoping they release when you're older.

You know why? Because for nostalgia reason's you're going to want what you had when you where young.

You're going to want the DTRT 3's just as they came out... not with subtle changes and tweaks that mess up the whole look of the sneaker because that's not how you remember them when you where young, and that's not how they looked on your feet. I know this is falling on deaf ears, but one day you'll understand what I'm talking about...hopefully.

Until then...

Thank god it's coming to an end for me. I just wanted I-XX3 and that will be a reality soon.

Much Respect to all who regard these sentiments (Putting in Work) Its SLG, Kudos though, but the choice comes down to all of us individually and a bunch ofus have been complaining for a while so maybe if we take our steps first.... maybe the rest will follow and maybe they wont but to the young children who follow the brand like a religion are being shown and taught a fraudulent bill of goods on the subject of Brand Jordan and the legacy of Love.

it ain't rocket science. if you don't like the direction brand jordan is in, don't buy their products. your ramblings about martin luther king andsocial justice are asinine.

The idea is great but there will always be people who will buy the packs and the retros b/c they may not care too much about quality or they don't carethat they aren't exact replicas of the OGs.

Back
Top Bottom