Boyhood - starring Ethan Hawke & Patricia Arquette 100% on Rottentomatoes

Watched it last night, it is was it is. A coming of age flim. I see many reason why some would not relate to it, I my self did not. But the movie was good, for what the flim was portraying.

After reading your review it only further my belief that white people could only relate to this film.

So help me god if this weak film sweeps the oscars :lol:

Im sorry I totally disagree homie. I can see thousands upon thousands of black men who grew up with single mothers relating to that part of the story.

And thats just one aspect of the movie.

"im black if that matters"

I really enjoyed the film, can't say I loved it. I did love the same cast for 12 years thing, doing that was amazing. But the overall story, meh.
When dude went to college at the end I immediately was transported back to my first dorm room. Which ironically was 12 years ago.....man time flies.

Is it really a good movie or is everyone just enamored with the concept of the film?

I feel like this will be one of those movies that we'll be calling overrated in 10 years.

The idea that it follows every stage of Mason growing up is why everyone was enamoured with it.

I don't think the acting stood out in any particular manner.
It was just a realistic portrayal of a white American teenage male growing up. Has any other movie done something like this?
This is like the brand new toy that you can't get enough of, and then you throw it to the side a couple weeks later

his mom became a college professor almost seemingly overnight

his dad went from a raging liberal to hardcore conservative

his stepfather got that check cashed

him getting a shotgun at 15 and being taught how to shoot

his teacher believing in him oh so much

im sure there are more, these are just what i remember off the top of my head i'd have to rewatch it to give more detailed examples

i like how they set the whole story in Texas. The story would've been a bit different had it been set in Seattle instead.

the part where he was placing an Obama sign on the guy with a Confederate flag on his house

What made you think his dad turned into a hardcore conservative?

Serious question cause I didnt catch that ??

i thought it was obvious

his wife who never seen a lady gaga video

in laws who give bibles and guns for birthday gifts

his spiel to mason about the car he sold

his new baby getting baptized

Yeah that just seems like your own agenda to make this a racial thing

Last edited:
i wasnt making it a racial thing i said he was conservative

and i dont have an agenda its my opinion on the movie

im sure there are more, these are just what i remember off the top of my head i'd have to rewatch it to give more detailed examples

The mom had been studying right from the beginning of the movie . She studied throughout her life with the abusive husband and they where homeless living with a friend for part of the movie , hardly overnight .

Getting a shotgun or learning how to shoot a weapon happens to be common amongst all souther people black , white etc im Hispanic my dad is from the country part of cuba and use to take me out shooting .

Teacher was only in one scene hand we was basically chewing him up and calling him lazy

Dad became more conservative because people change ...thats kinda the point of the movie , our experiences and our situations change as do the beliefs and morals we carry .

to me a white whine movie example is "her"

Last edited:
when the mom was in the professors class, i was under the impression that was her undergrad

after the professor, shes magically a professor now

the gun teaching moment IMO was showing how not only how whites are initiated and socialized with violence, but also just the irony of kids who cant yet comprehend life and death being given instruments of death. like i was waiting for the end of the movie to be mason blasting his school with his new shotgun
tired.gif

the teacher was ultimately another person who just like the lady at the photo exhibit were the ones who always see the best in their white youth

and the dad's "change" as you call it is simply more of the same white people looking for out each other

im pretty sure we're supposed to note that the "change" came with his new wife and her rich parents that live on an acre 
laugh.gif

edit: never seen her, but you can pretty much look at any movie and see the privilege in it

Last edited:
good points but Richard linklater in general is a texas dude who's made relatively personal films .dazed and confused , before sunrise , slacker , suburbia , boyhood etc heck his next film is supposed to be a spiritual sequel to dazed and confused about a highschool baseball team in texas ...

Boyhood has issues but the dope thing about it is it affect everyone differently. ..love when a movie does that

Mother is severely under developed...watever she goes through is seriously very hard to connect with, even her relationship with her kids...the story just seems to hop forward too fast and a lot of things just go unresolved...I don't want to ruin it so I'll let YA watch before discussing it...I legit found it hard to connect with any of the characters...it was cool tho to see him grow in the movie as well as his sister.

I understand exactly what hand2hand means... :lol:

One scene she's chopping it up with a guy, the next she's married to that guy...

One scene husband #1 is loving as hell, the next scene he's an abusive alcoholic ***hole, next scene she takes off with her kids, and step kids who the previous scene were practically calling her mom and her kids were their siblings NEVER ever again are seen interacting again in the movie...I just feel they got lost in the idea that "ohh snap we are filming a movie over 12 years" and because of this and trying to fit 12 years into 3 hours the movie got clipped/edited terribly.

Saw it on redbox and movie was confusing . Maybe it was the cut but there was a lot if viewer fill in the blank

The dads big scene was in the minivan whwn he said hownhe used to be cool. The moms big scene was when she felt like here personal ambition made the time with the kids unimportant.

Not worth the hype in my opinion

Just rewatched the film and agree with you on these.

The story being set in Texas makes lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom