BrandBlack

I misspoke. Let me try this again.

Got Thunder in a 10. They were too big

Tried the Lightning in a 9.5, they were too tight.

Saw the Thunder for the low, tried a 9.5, they fit perfectly.

So I'm guessing the fit depends on the model. I like the Jigsaw also but I really have my eye on the watercolors

Ok that makes sense. After playing last night for a 2nd time in the Thunder, I do think it's possible that I could do a 9 in the Thunder, but in the Jigsaw is was definitely a no go because of my Achilles. Since the Jigsaws came after the Lightning and has been updated (has improved traction, different foam, slightly different feel-to-touch and support feel on foot with the upper), I would assume my true to size 9.5 should be fine. They arrive today. I will wear both shoes and then determine which ones I give back to D-ick's. I am guessing the size 9 Jigsaw.

To me, at least from wearing the size 9, the Jigsaw almost feels like going from Kobe 8 -> Kobe 9. I (and others) have felt like the Kobe 8 was almost TOO light or too flimsy to feel really supportive around the foot. I kind of feel that way about the Thunder but it did improve a bit last night. When wearing the size 9 Jigsaw, it felt like the materials were tighter and more supportive, kind of like how the Kobe 9 feels.

EDIT: 9.5 is perfect sizing in the Jigsaws and feel better. They do have similar fit and feeling to the Thunders, but I think the Jigsaws feel a bit more supportive because the tongue is also not as nylon stretchy as the Thunders. With the Thunders, I could pull the tongue and it would like stretch like elastic stretch; this is not the case with the Jigsaws. It feels like the tongue of the Jigsaws might be a little thicker padded.

I would opt to just get more Jigsaws as opposed to the Lightning because of the cushioning. Would be curious of the more one-one fit and if the cushioning is the same as the Jigsaws. Will update after playing in my Jigsaws.

Last edited:
I would opt to just get more Jigsaws as opposed to the Lightning because of the cushioning. Would be curious of the more one-one fit and if the cushioning is the same as the Jigsaws. Will update after playing in my Jigsaws.
The Jigsaw's cushioning are that much better than Lightning's cushioning? Is it just softer? More responsive? Bouncier/livelier? Also I am curious is the jigsaw traction the same as the lightning? I currently have a pair of lightnings and I think they are great. Never played or tried the other models before.

The Jigsaw's cushioning are that much better than Lightning's cushioning? Is it just softer? More responsive? Bouncier/livelier? Also I am curious is the jigsaw traction the same as the lightning? I currently have a pair of lightnings and I think they are great. Never played or tried the other models before.

I think the traction is the same as the Lightning (and the traction on my Thunder has gotten nicer as the “sticky layer” has gone away). I do not have the Lightning so I couldn’t tell you about the cushioning one against one, but I know comparing it to my Thunder on foot, they feel a tad bit higher off the ground as if there is a little more foam and it feels softer/bouncier. I’m sure they might feel close to the same once I break the midsole in more like I did the Thunders, but going off initial wear of Thunder vs Jigsaw there is definitely more cushioning feel and slightly more bounce. Ma76bball said the same about the cushioning and I see what he meant. I would have to say, based off what HE said (since he has all of them), that the Jigsaw has he better cushioning of all of them (same goes for the Watercolors based on what Ma76bball said).

If you like the Lightning I would stick with those as the fit might be better according to ma76bball. There is still room with the Jigsaws, they just feel SLIGHTLY more secure than the Thunder (just slightly). I would say, if you value cushioning more than the better 1-1 fit then go with the Jigsaws. Otherwise stick with Lightning (though I’ve never had a pair).

So an update after running on the treadmill with the Jigsaws...

It feels like these run long after breaking them in. To be fair, I do have on black gold toe socks (from work, didn’t get to change clothes), so these socks are super thin (I am basically barefoot. I will put my Thunders on and see how they feel with these socks. I am hoping with thicker socks the room will be taken up.

At least I got both my pairs for free, so even if the Jigsaws don’t work out I enjoy trying these out haha. I will update again once I play a game in the Jigsaws (Thursday, if not sooner).

So an update after running on the treadmill with the Jigsaws...

It feels like these run long after breaking them in. To be fair, I do have on black gold toe socks (from work, didn’t get to change clothes), so these socks are super thin (I am basically barefoot. I will put my Thunders on and see how they feel with these socks. I am hoping with thicker socks the room will be taken up.

At least I got both my pairs for free, so even if the Jigsaws don’t work out I enjoy trying these out haha. I will update again once I play a game in the Jigsaws (Thursday, if not sooner).

Hi there, just ordered the jigsaws, can't wait for your in game review and comparision with the thunders...I really wonder if the cushioning difference is just a rumor or true...

Hi there, just ordered the jigsaws, can't wait for your in game review and comparision with the thunders...I really wonder if the cushioning difference is just a rumor or true...

Yea I play tomorrow night. I may hit the gym tonight but I am pretty sure I already have a good feel for the shoes. Again, can’t say for sure before having played actual basketball in them, but I would definitely go with the Lightning if I had to do it all over again, even though the cushioning is different (again, I am just basing this off what ma76bball said on YouTube).

It isn’t different enough to where I would say it’s more important than the one to one fit you’d get with the Lightning’s, so I would rank them (based on experience and guessing):

Lightning -> Thunder -> Jigsaw for playing.

Jigsaw -> Lightning -> Thunder for casual.

Will update tomorrow

So update:

The Jigsaws played fine, basically like the Thunder but a little more roomy. I had thicker socks and they played pretty similar. This was my first time playing in them, and I recall it took the Thunders two times playing my in them before the midsole sat a bit lower and allowed me to tighten the laces tighter.

My left foot is extremely weird: while my right foot fits the shoe perfectly in a 9.5, my left foot is more narrow and skinny, this there is more room. I have always had this problem because of rolling my ankle so much I think.

The way I have to tie the Jigsaws is basically: instead of tying from the toe-up, I basically tie from the back forward. This makes my heel more secure and allows the front of my foot to take up the dead space in the front. I feel like I could have maybe gone a half size down, but based on how the size 9 fit and made my Achilles feel sore and tight, I didn’t want to risk playing in them and not being able to send them back since they (D-icks) had already allowed me to exchange them before.

Again, I would say that if you have a chance to get the Lightning’s just do that so that you won’t have to worry about thinking of what size to get. The Lightning’s are 49.99 in certain colorways on Nordstrom Rack so go for that. I would grab some Lightning’s but I already have the Thunder and Jigsaws (which I ended up getting both free, long story but basically BUY FROM D-icks if you can!!!)

I love these. If this cushioning lasts I will have my Future Legends, JC3s, then these two pairs of Rare Metals. I am so set and happy to have so many BrandBlack shoes and they are easily my favorite shoes! What I love most about the Rare Metal is that they remind me of my Kobe 9s (with better cushioning), in that once you lace them up you forget they’re on you’re feet and you just play. The wide base makes you feel stable but it takes breaking the midsole in a little bit before you sit lower and feel secured by the outrigger, but once these break in you’ll know they’re there to keep you from rolling your ankle but also staying out of your way and provide bounce.

Last edited:
Cushion wise how would you guys rate the future legends vs the JC2???

I have the Legends but not the JC2. Based on the fact that the Legends are an evolved version of what was in the JC2, I would go Future Legends. On top of that, my Legends have yet to bottom out on me, while I’ve read that the JC2 bottoms out.

I have the Legends but not the JC2. Based on the fact that the Legends are an evolved version of what was in the JC2, I would go Future Legends. On top of that, my Legends have yet to bottom out on me, while I’ve read that the JC2 bottoms out.
I thought legends are an involment of the JC3 since both are black foam where as JC2 used Jetlon but I could be wrong

I thought legends are an involment of the JC3 since both are black foam where as JC2 used Jetlon but I could be wrong

The Legends use Jetlon EVL, but the Legend Lows use BlackFoam. Basically, Jetlon EVL in the Mids IS BlackFoam but skimmed down by about 25%(?) and uncaged so you feel lower to the ground but bouncy like the JC2

So I just played in the Jigsaws for the 2nd time and they’re fully broken in. The fit is just perfect now, and I didn’t even have my thick socks. I think to start, the midsole is a little thick so I didn’t have the best heel lockdown when playing. Tonight, I felt completely secure (again that was with my “bad socks”).

I am totally in love with this shoe. The cushioning is everything, and the fit and lockdown are really good. Little dead space is actual perfect for my toes and the lockdown of the heel and containment prevent my foot from sliding and hitting against the front.

What I love most about the Rare Metal is that it’s the first shoe I’ve played in in a while that doesn’t leave my Achilles sore. I have been playing in Mids lately (left the Kobe line behind in search of better cushioning for my aging body). I didn’t think there were lows with such great cushioning that could also be soft on my Achilles.

I am torn between getting more Rare Metals (the Lightning’s in particular) or just staying with my two pair I have and then switch between my JC3 and Future Legends (both awesome shoes).

Anyone else notice Brandblack is no longer on Nordstrom Rack site?

Hopefully it's just a temporary thing.

UNDs this GEM in a League Today
and Our Team Won the Game
Very Comfy and Cushy and Great Traction. Super Happy this released in Dubai
I Still feel my JC3 is more pillow than the RM but not that far. RM is also cushy I must say.

bb x wt.jpg

UNDs this GEM in a League Today
and Our Team Won the Game
Very Comfy and Cushy and Great Traction. Super Happy this released in Dubai
I Still feel my JC3 is more pillow than the RM but not that far. RM is also cushy I must say.

bb x wt.jpg

Awesome picture! I love the Rare Metal so much that I sent BrandBlack a thank you email for making them LOL.

I've received my RM Jig-saws and played an entire championship game and one training session...I must admit the cushion is really plushy but since I play with them my left achile and knee hurt |l
I know I'm a big guy, playing PF/C but I'm used to play in low tops since several years, my last go to pair were Kobe XI EM, I prefered them over my KD9 Elite as the Kobes had perfect fit and support and were really lightweight. I thougth my knees would love Jetlon EVL but for the moment that's definitely not the case...concerning the fit, it's not that roomy, I ordered a US11 like for my Nikes and It's just a bit long (like on the CLB2016 or Dame 2). I'm not sure that a mulshy feeling means a good impact absorbsion, it's comfy for walking but I find the heel way too soft, sometimes I have the feeling my heel is gonna hit the floor as it compresses too much. I don't know what to think of this model for the moment, gonna try them out tomorrow morning for a second championship game and we'll see...

View media item 2491749

I've received my RM Jig-saws and played an entire championship game and one training session...I must admit the cushion is really plushy but since I play with them my left achile and knee hurt |l
I know I'm a big guy, playing PF/C but I'm used to play in low tops since several years, my last go to pair were Kobe XI EM, I prefered them over my KD9 Elite as the Kobes had perfect fit and support and were really lightweight. I thougth my knees would love Jetlon EVL but for the moment that's definitely not the case...concerning the fit, it's not that roomy, I ordered a US11 like for my Nikes and It's just a bit long (like on the CLB2016 or Dame 2). I'm not sure that a mulshy feeling means a good impact absorbsion, it's comfy for walking but I find the heel way too soft, sometimes I have the feeling my heel is gonna hit the floor as it compresses too much. I don't know what to think of this model for the moment, gonna try them out tomorrow morning for a second championship game and we'll see...

View media item 2491749

Sorry to hear you didn’t have a good experience with them. I weigh just shy 200 basically and am 5’11” if that helps. The Jetlon on these felt great to me, not as thick as the Future Legends but still enough impact protection to where I feel nothing the next day. If the foam lasts these will go down as my fav shoes to play in since the Kobe Vs as far as low tops go.

If the Jetlon wasn’t enough for before breaking them in I hope they work for you. It’s not too late to return them I don’t think if you go them from D-icks.

I too have Achilles issue with my left foot and these are the only shoes where my Achilles doesn’t hurt after playing them (if I don’t tie them too tight). Make sure you aren’t tying your shoes really hard to start out with while they’re breaking in because I experience similar issues as you until I loosen the shoes during the break-in period.

Has anyone played in the Liquid Metal?

I'm eyeing a pair but I'm not sure about that Upper compared to my Thunders

Back
Top Bottom