Brandon Jennings is a top 3 point guard

Originally Posted by psk2310

Look, I've been watching the NBA since '83...Except for CP3, none of the PGs being mentioned (Jennings, Westrbrook, Wall, etc) are good PGs. None of them can successfully run a half court offense. None of them have a reliable mid range jump much less a 3. They all turn the ball over too much. Some of them even have trouble going to thier left or dribble with thier off hand well...The state of play in the NBA is as terrible as I've ever seen it. Very few players have any type of skill.
Thanks for your input, grandpa. Heaven forbid a league evolve over thirty years.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Look, I've been watching the NBA since '83...Except for CP3, none of the PGs being mentioned (Jennings, Westrbrook, Wall, etc) are good PGs. None of them can successfully run a half court offense. None of them have a reliable mid range jump much less a 3. They all turn the ball over too much. Some of them even have trouble going to thier left or dribble with thier off hand well...The state of play in the NBA is as terrible as I've ever seen it. Very few players have any type of skill.
Thanks for your input, grandpa. Heaven forbid a league evolve over thirty years.

laugh.gif
 somebody take this guy to the retirement home. 

Quote is shut down right after "very few players have any type of skill." You can argue that true PGs are hard to come by now. There's a valid argument there. However, not only are players far more athletic now than they ever were, but they're also far more aware schematically. Better defense has resulted from stronger athleticism, and because of that, teams have to prepare a lot more pre-game than they ever did before. It's funny that old-school dudes act all haughty when a lot of OG NBATV games look like modern-day All Star games in terms of the defense.

Jennings is my dude. How can you use the "Has never won a playoff series" as a knock on his resume? Who was he supposed to beat? I am sorry who was his TEAM supposed to beat?

The quote was not to knock "his resume."  It was to knock the notion of "He is a top 3 PG right now."

Originally Posted by MonStar1

laugh.gif
 somebody take this guy to the retirement home. 
Yes, players are more talented, faster, & stronger. But none of them have skills. You have PGs, shooting guards, & small forwards that have no mid range jumpers. These PGs you wippersnappers are talking about can't even run a half court offense or go left. You have big men that can't play with thier backs to the basket (no post games) or footwork...You tell me how it's evolved....
tongue.gif
 Having said that, I think Rose has the most potential out of all of them. He seems to have the drive & work ethic that most young players don't have. Not sure of the players around him that Pax has put together...

BTW, I like my retirement home just fine.
pimp.gif
. Gotta beautiful wife & a great 8 year old son with a decent job. I'll take that over what you guys have right now any day...I wrote this shaking my cane at you guys....Ha, ha, ha...

2ab36f636a3cca1a7e991e573b79089e0d2c99ed_r.jpg

psk is right tho, players are more TALENTED...but less SKILLED

How many players can consistently hit a mid range jumper?

How many players play good defense?

How many players know when to make the pass instead of jacking it up?

How many players know how to run an offense?

Case in point. Somebody from Europe who's never played an NBA game, Ricky Rubio, comes into a horrible situation, averages double digit assists, and completely lifts his team to playoff contention. He's not dunking over anyone or outrunning a team on the break, but he has SKILL and UNDERSTANDS THE GAME.

Case in point. You have an athletic marvel, first overall pick in John Wall. Can do anything on the court, except shoot, run an offense, or play under control. Your typical TALENTED player with NO skill, and their team record shows for it. Well you can say that for the whole team for that matter.

The NBA isn't what it used to be in terms of skill. Every "point guard" I see nowadays is a tweener, a SG who happens to bring the ball upcourt.

Every big man can't score in the post anymore, there are only a handful in the League. Everyone looks at how many shots they block, and can they run the break and finish. Everyone wants a JaVale McGee on their squad, but the Kevin Love's of the world are killing it because they have SKILL.

Had to rant. People need to understand what good basketball is.

Case in point. Somebody from Europe who's never played an NBA game, Ricky Rubio, comes into a horrible situation, averages double digit assists, and completely lifts his team to playoff contention. He's not dunking over anyone or outrunning a team on the break, but he has SKILL and UNDERSTANDS THE GAME.

Case in point. You have an athletic marvel, first overall pick in John Wall. Can do anything on the court, except shoot, run an offense, or play under control. Your typical TALENTED player with NO skill, and their team record shows for it. Well you can say that for the whole team for that matter.
And the fact Minnesota just has a better team has absolutely nothing to do with this right? 

--Mmmmm...No.
--Rose. Rondo. cP3. DWill. Westbrook. Just to name a few, knocks dude out of top 3.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

And the fact Minnesota just has a better team has absolutely nothing to do with this right? 
The Wolves have some better players for sure, but Rubio has definately made a big difference for the reasons illwill24 pointed out. Love's taken his game to another level.

Minnesota is a better team because they have more SKILLED PLAYERS.  The Wizards are a worse team because they have TALENTED players, but they have no skill or basketball IQ.  Thats the point I was trying to make.

And for the discussion, I put Jennings as the 5th best PG

Paul
Rose
D Will
Rondo
Jennings

I put him there because he put his team on his back. When Bogut got hurt and the Bucks went to the playoffs his rookie season, Jennings took the series to 7 games by HIMSELF

Ayo illwill, I'd argue the wizards even having talented plays...JK....Hopefully they'll get it together sooner or later....If the clippers can do it, then so can the wizards...You realize both of those teams have picked at the first portion of every draft in like the last 20-25 years & really don't have much to show for it? SMH...

Edit - Here's a quote from Charles Barkley a couple of days ago which kinda sums up how I feel about watching games this season, "As a NBA fan I want to apologize to the fans, I cannot believe how bad the NBA is right now, I'm a fan first and foremost, watching the NBA right now I'm embarrassed about the product we're putting out there right now. It's no fun for me to watch these games, I feel bad for the fans. There are probably ten teams worth watching on a nightly basis. They have all these built in excuse about it's the lockout. Let me tell you something if these teams played once a week they would still suck. You watch one of these teams and they rested for a week they would still suck."

I think the problem is that high school & college coaches don't teach fundementals anymore. They teach their zones & systems & that's it. They don't have time to teach skills & fundementals because their under intense pressure to win ASAP. Same goes in football too.

Originally Posted by illwill24

Minnesota is a better team because they have more SKILLED PLAYERS.  The Wizards are a worse team because they have TALENTED players, but they have no skill or basketball IQ.  Thats the point I was trying to make.
But you compared Rubio/Wall as if they are the sole reasons for each of those teams situations.
Like if you swapped the two...the Wizards would magically be playoff contenders. 

Originally Posted by Ecook0808

Originally Posted by Zyzz

Originally Posted by toughmoney

Got him in at 6....3 is pushing it way too far.

Rose
CP3
D. Will
Westbrook
Rondo
Jennings
Jennings is not better than Nash or Tony Parker.

please stop.

Mateen is much better than him.
indifferent.gif
Mateen was a top college player and won a championship and final 4 MVP

u mad Jennings couldnt go to college?
roll.gif
roll.gif

ya u mad

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Jennings is my dude. How can you use the "Has never won a playoff series" as a knock on his resume? Who was he supposed to beat? I am sorry who was his TEAM supposed to beat?

The quote was not to knock "his resume."  It was to knock the notion of "He is a top 3 PG right now."

Same difference. Why even mention that point is my question as if he had any legitimate control over that? With or without him winning a damn NBA CHampionship. He still isn't top 3. No where near Top 3. He arguably isn't even Top 3 PG in the Central Division. Whether or not you like him over Collison.

Originally Posted by Ecook0808

Jennings is not better than Nash or Tony Parker.

please stop.

Mateen is much better than him.
indifferent.gif
Mateen was a top college player and won a championship and final 4 MVP

u mad Jennings couldnt go to college?
roll.gif
roll.gif

ya u mad
So NCAA > NBA????

He couldn't go to college?? What are you talking about?

The hate you have for BJ, I take it he must have got at ur mom or something
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

Originally Posted by Jay02

Rondo isnt a complete point guard. Dudes biggest flaw in his game is the most important part of the game...putting the ball through the hoop.  He's not even anywhere close to being decent at shooting the ball. We're not going to even mention the three ball,  people fall back 3 feet daring him to attempt mid range jumpers. Jason Kidd is one of the most complete point guards of all time. Kidd could shoot, he actually had enough skill to shoot if you left him open unlike Rondo. Kidd was just too busy averaging triple doubles.

i don't understand knocking rondo's shooting and then calling jason kidd a shooter in the same paragraph. Rondo is a career 49% shooter, Kidd a career 40% shooter. dudes nickname was Ason for a while.

does Rondo have 3 pt range? NO, but he plays to his strengths which are getting to the basket and distributing. pshhh having 3pt range is overrated IMO. look at the success tony parker has had throughout his career.

i'd rather have the PG w/ great shot selection than the PG that could shoot you out of the game.

I never said Jason Kidd was a shooter but he had enough skill to be effective. Rondos 49% career shooting percentage is from layups. He simply doesnt shoot the ball because he cant. Kidds career shooting percentage is lower because he actually has enough skill to shoot from anywhere on the court. Again, although Kidds biggest strength may not have been shooting the ball he had enough skill in the area and even more skill in other areas to become one of the most complete well rounded point gaurds to ever play the game. When it comes to Rondo, I would expect someone to be around 50% shooting if all they're doing is throwing up floaters in the paint or making layups. Whether or not Rondo plays to his strengths or not he's a very limited point guard. No where near complete. And whats his face talking about John Wall is putting him and Kidd in the same sentence as point guards which is just absurd. 

Paul
Rose
D Will
Rondo
Jennings

I put him there because he put his team on his back. When Bogut got hurt and the Bucks went to the playoffs his rookie season, Jennings took the series to 7 games by HIMSELF
grin.gif
 By himself?
So he is better than Westbrook and Nash? 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Paul
Rose
D Will
Rondo
Jennings

grin.gif
 By himself?
So he is better than Westbrook and Nash? 
laugh.gif

Exactly I hate Westbrook and he would eat BJ for lunch
laugh.gif

He may be one of the top 10. Right now. But not top 3 that's easy.

Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
D Will

And I garuantee in 2-3 years my boy kyrie will be up there. Played with and against him on AAU for 3 years. An amazing player who can easily take over the game

[h1]
[h1]Jennings should be an All-Star[/h1][h3]Milwaukee Bucks guard is playing like an All-Star and deserves to be recognized as one[/h3]
By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine

Jennings has his swagger back and the numbers to back it up.

I remember the first time I met Brandon Jennings. It was in a tiny ski town in northern Italy called Folgaria. Just 19 years old, he had been practicing twice a day for several days with the grown men of Virtus Roma, the European team he had famously joined out of high school. The going was tough, and the swagger that made Jennings a favorite son at Rucker Park was gone.

But as we all know, he regained it. Boy, did he regain it.

Did you see him talking smack to Carmelo Anthony while leading Milwaukee to an embarassment of the Knicks a few weeks ago? Or strutting and glaring before the legendary members of the Miami Heat in two recent upsets of the Eastern Conference heavyweights?

Except for a few brief moments in Italy, Jennings has always been a believer in his talents. And now everyone else should believe, too, especially the Eastern Conference coaches, who should name him an All-Star next week.

The starters of the league's mid-year showcase were named yesterday, but the real drama is always in the reserves. The coaches pick the reserves so it's no popularity contest. It's much more legit than the process for picking starters; it's about ballin' and winning. And Jennings has done both this season.

Of the many surprises of this strange season -- New York's futility, Philadelphia's excellence, Ricky Rubio's stellar play -- none is bigger than what Jennings is doing in Milwaukee.

With Andrew Bogut missing nine of 21 games, with Stephen Jackson squawking about a contract extension, with a roster that (with all due respect) wouldn't strike fear in the hearts of the Syracuse Orangemen, Jennings is treating kingpins like bowling pins, taking on the league's bigwigs and often leading the Bucks to victory.

After a slow start, Milwaukee has won three straight games to surge to 10-11. If the playoffs began today, they'd be in. Melo and the Knicks, and Deron Williams and the Nets wouldn't.

Most impressively, Jennings has led the Bucks to wins in six of their last eight games, including those last three wins without the injured Bogut. And check out some of the victims -- the Heat (twice!), the Lakers, a Rockets team that had won seven straight games, and the Spurs.

And when I say Jennings is leading the Bucks, I mean leading. He is one of just two players in the entire league to lead his team in scoring, assists and steals. LeBron's not doing it. CP3's not doing it. D-Rose isn't doing it.

Just Jennings and Kobe Bryant. Pretty good company.

Jennings is averaging 20.5 points, 5.6 assists and 1.7 steals. Sure, the assist figure is a bit low, but it's virtually the same as that of sure-fire All-Star Russell Westbrook (5.7) and Westbrook's playing with Kevin Durant and James Harden. On top of that, Jennings protects the ball like a Secret Service agent, turning it over just 2.3 times a game. Of the point guards averaging as many minutes as Jennings (36.3), only Chris Paul turns it over less.

Jennings' strong play is a credit to his work ethic. Having entered the league with a suspect jumper that led to unsightly shooting his first two years (37 percent and 39 percent), Jennings is hitting 44 percent of his shots this season, including 38 percent of his 3s. Plus, he's in a system where head coach Scott Skiles demands hustle on defense.

And he's been at his best in the big moments:

• Hosting the Heat after beating them at their place a week and a half earlier? No problem. He gave them 31 points, 8 assists, 4 steals and zero turnovers to outshine LeBron and his 40. Midway through the fourth quarter, Jennings drilled three 3-pointers in a two-minute stretch to break the game open.• Going to Madison Square Garden, where Jennings hoped the Knicks would make him a permanent resident back in 2009? No problem. He gave New York 36 points, 5 dimes, 2 steals and an L.

He wouldn't be denied. And he shouldn't be denied an All-Star berth.

The starters are Derrick RoseDwyane WadeLeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard. Two guards, two forwards, a center and two wildcards will be named as the reserves.

There's only one other guard in the East who should get the nod over Jennings -- Atlanta's Joe Johnson.

Rajon Rondo has missed eight of Boston's 21 games with injury, and D-Will is shooting just 41 percent for the woeful Nets (8-15). I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with both of them being on the team but, if anything, it should be with Jennings not instead of him.

Those who know Jennings best will tell you he's always had the swag of an All-Star. Those who've watched him closest will tell you that this year he's had the game of one.
[/h1]

Back
Top Bottom