Breaking a Lease?

Is there any way to break it without penalty? I'm tryna get out this bs! NT Lawyers check in 
nerd.gif

If you can prove extenuating circumstances (safety concerns, loss of income, etc.) there may be an out.  It all depends on the stipulations of the lease you signed.
Do a search on Nolo or Legal Zoom.  There should be some helpful info there. 

my bro tried to break the lease on his last spot and the landlord said he'd keep his security and last month. My bro wasn;t about to let $2000 go. ended up renting it out to a couple for 6 months for more then what he was paying. Landlord 3was heated.

Profit!

Originally Posted by raptors29

**+! is costing me too much money
30t6p3b.gif
Why is that the landlord's problem?  Try contacting the landlord and see if you can either sublease your apartment or see if they will allow you to break it if you can find someone else to fill the vacancy when you leave.

If you just get up and leave, he has the right to sue you and he will win since you have a written contract in place.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

30t6p3b.gif
Why is that the landlord's problem?  Try contacting the landlord and see if you can either sublease your apartment or see if they will allow you to break it if you can find someone else to fill the vacancy when you leave.

If you just get up and leave, he has the right to sue you and he will win since you have a written contract in place.
i read somewhere, that if someone takes the apartment the day you leave they cant sue you for anything because they didnt lose any income.

but what he ^ is talking about is a change of responsability, you find somone else to live there the rest of your lease contract

30t6p3b.gif

Exactly. Try talking to the landlord first to work something out, do not just up and leave. Also remember that the next place you rent will probably try to get a reference from your current landlord.

Originally Posted by MECKS

30t6p3b.gif

i read somewhere, that if someone takes the apartment the day you leave they cant sue you for anything because they didnt lose any income.

but what he ^ is talking about is a change of responsability, you find somone else to live there the rest of your lease contract
If you find someone to take the lease in a timely manner that won't cause the landlord to lose any income previously guaranteed by your lease, then you're all good. As a landlord, he has an obligation to mitigate with you to find an adequate solution to complete the lease one way or another. If you can't find a person to fulfill your obligation and he loses any income guaranteed by your lease, you will have to pay damages when sued.

Depends on whats in your lease, you might be able to get off with just a 30 days notice.

Originally Posted by cristobal

If you find someone to take the lease in a timely manner that won't cause the landlord to lose any income previously guaranteed by your lease, then you're all good. As a landlord, he has an obligation to mitigate with you to find an adequate solution to complete the lease one way or another. If you can't find a person to fulfill your obligation and he loses any income guaranteed by your lease, you will have to pay damages when sued.
I'm not so sure.  Ya, there isn't a loss of income, but the also isn't a legal contract between the landlord and the new occupants either.  If they damage the property then chances are the landlord will come after the tenant on contract.  I'm sure this is a state-by-state issue regarding the legalities of contract law and what your liabilities as a tenant are beyond just loss of income to the landlord.

30t6p3b.gif

My roommate just up and left the other day. He's getting sued
30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif

My roommate just up and left the other day. He's getting sued
30t6p3b.gif

I hope his name was on the lease too

I work in real estate.....landlords have 2 fears one a space being vacant for way too long and tenant just flat out stops paying rent.....then you have to get lawyers involved to kick the tenant out and all the months of rent is lost. i recommend you tell owner in a letter/email that in 6 months you will have to move with your family to Texas(some place far away from where you're now) write, would it be possible to for May to be your last month on the lease. also put in there that you would allow showings of your place......reading this they are going to oh crap but hey at least this kid is paying us rent he could have easily just stopped paying and moved away when we evicted him which can take 6 months to do.....most likely they will say sure they might say you will lose the security (which in that case you just dont pay your last months rent).....when they write back sure we understand but you will lose a months rent ,a few days later write an email.. i'm so sorry but my family and i have to move to texas next month this will be my last month at the property blah blah......to make it more believable say its a personal family matter that if need be you're willing to discuss over the phone.....most cases they will let you walk, only thing i can see is if they feel that the market has gone down and they wont be able to collect the same rent......landlords dont like tenants living rent free and paying lawyer fees.....

i just saw that you had a roommate bail on you, that might be a problem if they know you guys are not family....they will see through your lie.....would be best if they dont know your roommate left

Did you lease it by rooms or for the whole house/apartment? Best thing is to read over the lease cause all of them are different. Some make it easy to leave while some make it difficult.

Originally Posted by cristobal

I'm not so sure.  Ya, there isn't a loss of income, but the also isn't a legal contract between the landlord and the new occupants either.  If they damage the property then chances are the landlord will come after the tenant on contract.  I'm sure this is a state-by-state issue regarding the legalities of contract law and what your liabilities as a tenant are beyond just loss of income to the landlord.
what a change of responsability does is this

Person A  Person B

the contract is the same exact contract, new name.

Why don't you just sublet the apartment? Post an ad on Craigslist? Add something of value to the deal to close it fast (free video games, $100, etc.)? Get it done fast and stop mellowing around about it.

Ask your landlord to give you a copy of the lease so you can read over the terms for breaking a lease. Usually they will let you go if you just pay a fee (probably 1 or 2x the rent). Also, there is sometimes a requirement that you must make 3x the amount of rent in one month, for income. If you can't hold that, perhaps you can also get off.

There is a lot of ways out, than just leaving straight up. Look into it. Good luck
smile.gif

One of my best friends was my landlord.

-The house we lived in was big but pretty much didn't have heat, the water was ALWAYS cold.

- Lost my job and had to use savings to pay for rent

- Once charged me a $50 late fee for paying rent on the day of but it was a half hour past noon when it was due. Had no idea it was on the lease
30t6p3b.gif
I woke up at noon

- Wouldn't let us see the bills, I still have speculations that he was only splitting it 3 ways instead of four because we were paying about 175 for each person (just utilities)

- He took my late fee and immediately bought weed with it.

I threatened to move out and he said he wanted the rest of the rent for the lease paid and I told him I would whoop his +@@ if he perused it. I then found out it was residential area and that by city law, we all had to be related to live in that house (to prevent college kids from renting the place). I moved out with no penalty, I hear him talking *%#! about me all the time but he was the one who tried to crook us out of money.

Edit: all he would do was post a sticky note on the fridge with what we owed, how sketchy is that???

Originally Posted by Air273

I work in real estate.....landlords have 2 fears one a space being vacant for way too long and tenant just flat out stops paying rent.....then you have to get lawyers involved to kick the tenant out and all the months of rent is lost. i recommend you tell owner in a letter/email that in 6 months you will have to move with your family to Texas(some place far away from where you're now) write, would it be possible to for May to be your last month on the lease. also put in there that you would allow showings of your place......reading this they are going to oh crap but hey at least this kid is paying us rent he could have easily just stopped paying and moved away when we evicted him which can take 6 months to do.....most likely they will say sure they might say you will lose the security (which in that case you just dont pay your last months rent).....when they write back sure we understand but you will lose a months rent ,a few days later write an email.. i'm so sorry but my family and i have to move to texas next month this will be my last month at the property blah blah......to make it more believable say its a personal family matter that if need be you're willing to discuss over the phone.....most cases they will let you walk, only thing i can see is if they feel that the market has gone down and they wont be able to collect the same rent......landlords dont like tenants living rent free and paying lawyer fees.....

i just saw that you had a roommate bail on you, that might be a problem if they know you guys are not family....they will see through your lie.....would be best if they dont know your roommate left

Lying is out of the question. It's right by the school and she knows I'm gonna be at the school for the next 2 years

Back
Top Bottom