Breaking addiction vol. cigarettes... really?

Upon watching many Truth commercials, I decided to test out smoking for myself. I come to you, my NT bretheren, baring my personal truths in exchange for yours(open discussion ftw?)

I purchased a pack of Newport 100s about a month ago in an attempt to find out what's really good with lighting up. For the record, I've never smokedanything in my life. I proceeded to smoking one or two per day. I didn't suffer from loss of breath, didn't cough uncontrolably, didn't get cancer(granted it was only one pack) and I'm still here to tell the tale so we can rule death out of the equation. I've come to the conclusion that it was,indeed, a typo a typo a typo.

But on the flipside, I'm not addicted. In fact, it's been nearly two weeks since I've puffed. This brings me to believe that there isn't anydependency associated with smoking and all who claim to be addicted to the nicotine, or whatever else is found in '"cancer sticks", are likeKyle's dad in the episode where he suffers from alcoholism... or Will Ferrel in Blades of Glory when he said being a sexoholic was a serious illness.

Discuss.

Originally Posted by NYelectric

No, no, no, no, no.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] ?[/color]
eyes.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Anyway, try it out for a year and then make this thread.[/color]

Ya 1st mistake was listening 2 a Truth commercial, which is one step up from Above the Influence...

Originally Posted by solesurvi0r7

Upon watching many Truth commercials, I decided to test out smoking for myself. I come to you, my NT bretheren, baring my personal truths in exchange for yours (open discussion ftw?)

I purchased a pack of Newport 100s about a month ago in an attempt to find out what's really good with lighting up. For the record, I've never smoked anything in my life. I proceeded to smoking one or two per day. I didn't suffer from loss of breath, didn't cough uncontrolably, didn't get cancer (granted it was only one pack) and I'm still here to tell the tale so we can rule death out of the equation. I've come to the conclusion that it was, indeed, a typo a typo a typo.

But on the flipside, I'm not addicted. In fact, it's been nearly two weeks since I've puffed. This brings me to believe that there isn't any dependency associated with smoking and all who claim to be addicted to the nicotine, or whatever else is found in '"cancer sticks", are like Kyle's dad in the episode where he suffers from alcoholism... or Will Ferrel in Blades of Glory when he said being a sexoholic was a serious illness.

Discuss.

Wrong.

been smoking cigs for about 5 years ... just recently quit ... yeah , again
laugh.gif
... I started to work out to replace smoking .. Plus I figured I smoke enough chronic to maintain .. but nothin like a newport after a blunt .. but impretty sure im done w/ them now considering a pack is like $10 now .. serious !!

I've been trying to get my mom to quit for years and I never can. She stops for a few weeks maybe months, but then eventually she starts again. The badthing is that it seems every time she "restarts" she smokes even more than before.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by FreshProduct

Originally Posted by NYelectric

No, no, no, no, no.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]?[/color]
eyes.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Anyway, try it out for a year and then make this thread.[/color]
That's just it though, you see, I had a whole pack of 20 and I got nothing. I'm not hooked in any way shape or form so I don't see myselftrying it for that long. It's to the point where I question just how someone could continue on, or even go past the first stick (no mo).

So let me get this straight. A commercial that was intended to motivate users to quit by exposing the hazardous chemicals present in tobacco actually motivatedyou to START smoking? That's classic.

Do me a favor a smoke everyday, hmmm lets say 5 ciggerettes a day, for about 2 weeks...then stop....tell me how you feel then. You won't get addicted offone pack or 2.

I know what you are trying to say but you just don't get it man.
laugh.gif
So dumb its funny. Nicotine has been proven to be more addictive then heroin man.

It's not some ##%%!#!*. That's the TRUTH.

I have been smoking a pack a day of Newports since I was 15 man. I'm 22 and its so damn hard to quit...you have no clue how bad the withdrawls are.

Originally Posted by TraPpStar

So let me get this straight. A commercial that was intended to motivate users to quit by exposing the hazardous chemicals present in tobacco actually motivated you to START smoking? That's classic.

It is classic. Do you really think those are designed to work? I recently quit smoking for New Years and when I want a cigarette I think of all the positivethings that have come from me quitting, not the idea that I might get cancer forty years from now. They have found a nice loop hole in cigarettecommercials.

And if the Original Poster is trying to disprove the effects of nicotine then I stand by my original statement. No, no, no, no, no.

i smole, but i'm not addicted, mainly because i refuse to buy cigarettes. i'm a social smoker, i bum stoges at parties all the time, drunk people arevery generous. if you smoke for years, you do get addicted though, but sometimes i think addicted is a strong word, i think people tend to get used to thehabit and it becomes a daily routine.

just do urself a favor, stop while ur at it...i use too think the same way, but that was 12 years ago...im still smoking, a pack every 2 days....

Originally Posted by TraPpStar

So let me get this straight. A commercial that was intended to motivate users to quit by exposing the hazardous chemicals present in tobacco actually motivated you to START smoking? That's classic.
Indeed. I originally started out to discredit the "it must have been a typo" commercial.

So you, solesurvi0r7, are saying there is nothing addictive about cigarettes? Why don't you tell that to the families of people who have died fromcigarette related cancers? How about the PROVEN SCIENTIFIC facts that show cigarettes are addictive. You sir should just commit that for being so mentallyinadequate that you think cigarettes are not addictive.

i smole, but i'm not addicted, mainly because i refuse to buy cigarettes. i'm a social smoker, i bum stoges at parties all the time, drunk people are very generous. if you smoke for years, you do get addicted though, but sometimes i think addicted is a strong word, i think people tend to get used to the habit and it becomes a daily routine.

You will be addicted if you keep that up. You WILL. You're not any different then anyone else who started smoking. I know TONS of people who were just likeyou, thought they never would get addicted. Hell, even I thought I would never get addicted....8 years later im still on a pack a day.

Hey KIDS.....Nicotine is not like weed, where IMO weed effects people differently, depending on what kind of person you are. Where as ciggs contain nicotine,which like I said is MORE addictive then heroin. Weed has no additional additives. Ciggs have so many different chemicals in them.

Theres nothing I can say to change your mind. Keep thinking you wont get addicted...as if you would let yourself come to that....the thing is, you have nochoice, you start smoking ciggs, socially, casually, whatever you wanna tell me....you will get addicted, no way around it.

Originally Posted by NinongBrown

if you smoke for years, you do get addicted though, but sometimes i think addicted is a strong word, i think people tend to get used to the habit and it becomes a daily routine.
That's kinda what I'm saying. if you smoke, it's habit forming, not addiction worthy. But there's no appeal to it rather than on asocial aspect, wo why bother?

Anyways, addiction is a process. If addiction was as instantaneous as you trying something once, then we'd all be dead because we'd be addicted toeverything, and we'd have this uncontrollable urge to consume a million things simultaneously. The side affects of addiction are the residual effect ofwhen your body becomes dependent upon something and you suddenly take it away. Dependency is more than mere sampling. You wont get addicted to anything, exceptVagina, trying it once. You might yearn for it, but you're not dependent upon it.

The irony of tobacco addiction is that when you smoke your first cigarette you are absolutely repulsed. You laugh at those addicted to something so disgustingwith seemingly no gratification. Then somehwere along the road of you continuing the trying to be cool process, your body becomes dependent and suddenly whatseemed so repulsive is now absolute bliss.

if you smoke, it's habit forming, not addiction worthy.
laugh.gif
Why do you keep saying that? Nicotine has been proven addictive by more comprehensive studies than buying a pack and smoking one or two aday.

dude, you smoked 1 pack over a two week period. You do realize that there are people out there, that smoke a pack a day...dont you?

So when I tell you nicotine is more addictive then heroin thats just a lie? some twisted mis-conceived facts?...
laugh.gif
So is heroin addiction just a "bad" habit too?...

Or how about when I went to europe last year and on the 12-hour airplane ride I was fiending for a cigg....I'm talkin like when that 10th hour came along Ihad hot flashes, was sick to my stomach and just overly pissed off for no reason...thats just my habit right?...not my addiction?...
ohwell.gif

on_line.gif
solesurvi0r7 - How old are you BTW?.

Cigerrettes are addicting plain and simple. Luckily I now only yearn for them when I'm drunk, and let me tell you something, a cigerrette was made to besmoked when inebriated. Nothing like that first square after a couple drinks.

Back
Top Bottom