Bush Administration removes endangered protection for Gray Wolves.

Gray%20Wolf%20Head.jpg

Once again developers win out over endangered species. 1,500 wolves is a pittance to where their population should be. Now-legal and further illegal hunting ofthese wolves will again decimate their population in a short time without federal protection. I figure since Wolf-shirts are so popular on NikeTalk perhapsthis will inspire some people to think more towards conservation of these majestic animals.

http://www.enn.com/wildlife/article/31585
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Gray wolves in the northern Rocky Mountains, listed as endangered for more than three decades, no longer need protection under theEndangered Species Act, the U.S. government said on Thursday. Environmental groups disagreed, saying the species has not fully recovered and vowed to sue tocontinue to protect wolves from hunting and other methods of killing that the groups said would likely follow the government's move. "The wolfpopulation in the Northern Rockies has far exceeded its recovery goal and continues to expand its size and range," Deputy Interior Secretary Lynn Scarlettsaid in a statement announcing the decision to remove this group of gray wolves from the list of wildlife protected by the Endangered

Once plentiful across the 48 contiguous U.S. states, gray wolves were eradicated from the northern Rocky Mountain region and southwestern Canada by the 1930s.The species was listed as endangered in 1973; 66 wolves were re-introduced to the area in 1995. There are now 1,513 wolves in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho,including 107 breeding pairs, according to Edward Bangs, western wolf recovery coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The wolf population in thesestates has been growing 24 percent each year since they were re-introduced, Bangs said by telephone.

The minimum goal for recovery for gray wolves in the northern Rockies was 30 breeding pairs and a minimum of 300 individual wolves for at least threeconsecutive years. This goal was reached in 2002, the Interior Department said. "Three hundred animals is not enough for the wolves to survive in the longrun," said the council's Louisa Willcox. "Far more wolves are needed before the species can be considered truly recovered." Once federalprotections are removed, state management plans will go into effect, the department said in a statement.

The environmental group Natural Resources Defense Council called the delisting of these wolves premature and said the states of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming havestated they plan to allow hunting, trapping and other killing of wolves under their state management plans. In a statement, the group said the recovery goalshould be at least 2,500 to 5,000 wolves across the three states. The Sierra Club's Melanie Stern criticized the government's decision, saying,"We still have a long way to go before wolf populations are sustainable over the long term."
Wolf3W.jpg

Not exactly. The Bush Administration is not actively going out and killing these animals, although Dlck Cheney may be.

Anti-environmentalists such as Bush, and before him Reagan, absolutely HATE the endangered species list and the status it comes with. Endangered animals getfederal protection and as such it becomes a federal crime to kill these animals or cause harm by infringing on their habitat. Unfortunately, urban developmentand the need for natural resources such as coal in the Ohio Valley, where Gray Wolves primarily live, causes a conflict of interest.

Therefore, by speeding along the recovery process, as endangered species must have a recovery plan (which is the chief reason polar bears are not on the listbecause how exactly does one stop global warming?) the species may be taken off endangered status and developers may purchase the land. Sounds like a prettycommon theme in American history, eh?

The Bush Administration hastily removed the Gray Wolf from the endangered species list based off the assumptions made by notoriously corrupt EPA scientists.Most ecologists agree that 1,500 wolves is far too small to have a sustainable population, and without sufficient gentic material input, the success of thespecies declines concurrently with a rise in their killng speeding extinction.

What this highlights is that biology and politics are often at odds, and I'm betting my money on the scientists. Ranchers will kill the wolves that prey onyoung calves and corporations will convert the land wolves live on. Removal of a species from the endangered species list prematurely is definitely not a causefor celebration.

- not too much longer left with this
cc0359e4e8987625eef24e6e002c84478092d45.gif
!!!

- I've seriously had enough of his
!

-

- Too bad for the wolves
tired.gif
frown.gif
tired.gif

grin.gif

Originally Posted by Methedy24

- not too much longer left with this
!!!

- I've seriously had enough of his
!

-

- Too bad for the wolves
tired.gif
frown.gif
tired.gif

grin.gif

laugh.gif
Dude probably posted all this nonsense to test his Grinch emoticon....

That baby wolf is adorable...I hope they're gonna be okay. This reminds me of the episode of Family Guy I was watching the other day. Peter had bought a"rainforest sounds" Cd and in the middle of it trucks start backing up, people start screaming to cut the trees down and basically its just humansdestroying nature. We need to be more mindful of our actions..

Great Thread.

As Apex predators, these wolves are hugely important to the overall wellness of their respective biosphere.

"The data show a clear and remarkable linkage between the presence of wolves and the health of an entire streamside ecosystem, including two species ofcottonwoods and the myriad of roles they play in erosion control, stream health, and nurturing diverse plant and animal life."

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/newsarch/2003/Oct03/wolf.htm

i believe they removed the tag because they are repopulating (like in yellowstone)...

SAVE THE POLAR BEARRR !!!!
frown.gif

Ah, I like what you're kickin' abeautifulhaze. Ecology is my passion.

Gray Wolves are keystone species and play a crucial role in actively managing the health of local ecosystems. Essentially, by keeping the number of their preydown, they in turn conserve the resources the prey feed on - basically controlling nutrient in/out flow from ecosystems which relates both to the biotic andabiotic factors - clean streams, control of erosion, etc.

Large mammals are often keystone species, but the same principle applies to most balanced ecosystems. We need a better understanding of the biological andecological functions of the environment we inhabit in order to manage conservation best.

this administration is gonna do all the damage they can before their reign ends

the question is: does dirtylicious hate wolves too?
smh.gif

i hate the attitude that human beings are somehow superior to the rest of the species we share the earth with. yes we have language and government and all thatbut other species deserve equal chances

Back
Top Bottom