Buying a Car at 18, how hard would it be?

I'm hoping to buy a 2006 Acura TSX in a few months, I was thinking I would put $1000 or so down, I work full time at part time so I make at least $1500 amonth, do you think it would be possible? thanks.

do you have credit?

i was able to get a 06 pontiac g6 in my name with no co signer when i was 19..and i got it last november when it was one of the worst times to want to get acar..i traded in my old car which was a 95 accord...which was a total peice of @%!+..they gave me like 500 for it..i got lucky and was able to get the car..itjust depends..b/c i didn't have much credit at the time and a lot of companies didn't wanna finance me b/c of that..but if you have a lot of credit andits good or somebody with good credit that will co sign you should be good

with a 1000 down, the payments would be okai credit rates are a factor but the common issue is the insurance rate if its under a parent it helps, im drivin anold 97 altima payin 270 a month for insurance. but yea man the tsx is sexci look at about 250 a month for the car and abt the upper 200s for insurance about500 a month. wish you the best of luck sir

No credit, I just turned 18 in July and just got a bank account, how long would it take to get my credit up to a decent enough amount to try to finance it andhow? sorry for so many questions lol thanks.

well best way to go imo is a student credit card from like chase bank oe maybe a macys card. buy food and some clothes pay it back on time for 6 month youll begood to go. without credit in this economy an approval is hard. Def look into chase student card. there really good

I have a part time job that I could work full time, and a few other job offers that are on the table whenever I want to take them up.

Originally Posted by fivefivenine

No credit, I just turned 18 in July and just got a bank account, how long would it take to get my credit up to a decent enough amount to try to finance it and how? sorry for so many questions lol thanks.
with no credit..it'd be pretty hard to get financing for a car..i just googled it..and some of answers were saying it takes like 3 months tobuild up good credit..but when i was looking around to getting a new car last year..i knew this one car salesman that said the dealership will try to do allthey can to get you the car..so you never know what could happen..you dont have anybody that could co sign for you?

Originally Posted by Bobby Light

No credit, I just turned 18 in July and just got a bank account, how long would it take to get my credit up to a decent enough amount to try to finance it and how? sorry for so many questions lol thanks.
with no credit..it'd be pretty hard to get financing for a car..i just googled it..and some of answers were saying it takes like 3 months to build up good credit..but when i was looking around to getting a new car last year..i knew this one car salesman that said the dealership will try to do all they can to get you the car..so you never know what could happen..you dont have anybody that could co sign for you?
Maybe my grandpa hopefully, Would my girlfriend be able to? She said she has good credit but she's the same age as me just a few days older?

laugh.gif
@1000 down. you should be putting atleast 30% down

laugh.gif

get a credit card with your bank, use it for a year than try getting a car. you dont have ANY credit fam. the only way youll be able to get a car is if you payoff in cash or somebody cosign for you.

just get taht cc, use it than pay it off in full EACH month ON TIME. wait a min 6months months before you try to get your car. just save up. and how long haveyou had your job and where you work?? because they take that into consideration also (how much you make a month, where you work, and how long you been there)

good luck, im looking to get a 04-06 TL or an 06-07 CTS by april of next year.

Originally Posted by Bobby Light

with no credit..it'd be pretty hard to get financing for a car..i just googled it..and some of answers were saying it takes like 3 months to build up good credit..but when i was looking around to getting a new car last year..i knew this one car salesman that said the dealership will try to do all they can to get you the car..so you never know what could happen..you dont have anybody that could co sign for you?
Maybe my grandpa hopefully, Would my girlfriend be able to? She said she has good credit but she's the same age as me just a few days older?
ehh..your grandpa would prob be your best bet just because he was more credit history than your girlfriend..if he has good credit then it'dprob be a for sure thing

not hard at all if youre willing to pay what they ask for

if youre not, than its going to be very difficult, the salesmen pretty much see u as fresh meat, have u considered bringing a parent along with u and havingthem negotiate?

edit - 1000 down??? u know how much your monthly payments are going to be based on interest? u need to lower your standards on cars,

no idea how much the bluebook is on an 06, my guess is 15-20k, im sure u can get it if youre willing to throw all 1500 at the car every month
wink.gif

you're 18...whta do you need a 20K car for?

save up your money for a year(1K a month)..buy a 12K car

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

what's wrong with a tsx @ 18? not like he's trying to get a benz

Originally Posted by doosta45

laugh.gif

get a credit card with your bank, use it for a year than try getting a car. you dont have ANY credit fam. the only way youll be able to get a car is if you pay off in cash or somebody cosign for you.

just get taht cc, use it than pay it off in full EACH month ON TIME. wait a min 6months months before you try to get your car. just save up. and how long have you had your job and where you work?? because they take that into consideration also (how much you make a month, where you work, and how long you been there)

good luck, im looking to get a 04-06 TL or an 06-07 CTS by april of next year.
i forgot about that
laugh.gif

if you haven't been at your job for a long time thats gonna hurt your chances too..b/c they were giving me a hard time about that too..i was working 2 jobslast november and had been at one for like 6 months and the other for like 4..but i had quit and went back..and how concrete is your job?

i was working full time at caterpillar and part time at fedex..and around november things were still pretty good at cat..but they ended up laying me off inmarch..something that i wasn't expecting..i got lucky and they called me to come back..but make sure your job is concrete..i was only laid off or like amonth and them part time fedex check weren't cutting it..and my car payment is 295 btw..but i just go ahead and pay 300 each month

i quit caterpillar and fedex and luckily i got a way better job that is concrete and hands out overtime like crazy so i have no problem making my carpayment..and you gotta factor in car insurance too plus other bills you have..its a lot to think about when getting a new car

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

the problem is that he's only putting 1000 down, youre not getting a good interest rate unless u put at least 5, AT LEAST

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

it's not the TSX...
it's ANY car for 20K when he doesn't have the money.

he's 18 yrs old!..
sorry, but when I 1st started driving I was in a 1987 corolla -- a car over 6 yrs old....probably worth no more than 5K.
there's simply no reason for someone that young to spend that kind of money on a car.

Yeah my friend told me to put at least 5G's down and a lot of people told me to put 500-1500 that's the only reason I said I was looking to put 1000,

i'll probably end up saving up 5G's and do that and hopefully by that time i will have built up some credit,

and the TSX is 15K I want a TSX because if i'm going to pay 5000 for a car might as well put 5000 towards something that i really want not just somethingto settle with you know?

And I plan on paying at least a 150 or more a month to my car payment also.

Yeah my friend told me to put at least 5G's down and a lot of people told me to put 500-1500 that's the only reason I said I was looking to put 1000,
i'll probably end up saving up 5G's and do that and hopefully by that time i will have built up some credit,
and the TSX is 15K I want a TSX because if i'm going to pay 5000 for a car might as well put 5000 towards something that i really want not just something to settle with you know?

im not a car salesman but thats not gonna happen

my guess is that youre not getting 150 a month payments unless u put almost 10 down on a 15 car

realistically speaking - u can get a 15k tsx with 1000 down but youre going to have ridiculous monthly payments, its been a while since ive been in my financeclasses but with 1000 down, youre probably looking to spend almost 150%-200% on that car when its all said and done, maybe even more

huh? try 250-275 plus a month for car payments then also include insurance.

real talk, establish your credit, save some money, and get a beater (mid to late 90s civic/accord/altima/maxima/etc)

By 150 a month I meant extra so instead of let's say my car payment is 300 i would pay 450 or more a month..

Don't bother. With the amount you're making...there's really no point in buying a car thats out of your budget. If you're really just lookingfor a car to drive around..you can always buy something cheap to use and abuse until you got enough bank for a new car.

not to mention, if you're 18 and planning on getting insurance yourself....forget it.

Back
Top Bottom