buying exotic skin for shoe project?

alp

Banned
Hey guys, I was thinking of customizing a sneaker like jbf customs has with python or alligator skin. For my first step, I need to know where I can obtain these types of skins in a small enough amount just to make one pair of kicks. I know it won't be cheap but anything over a thousand bucks(500 really) doesn't make sense, I might as well order off jbf. Any help would be appreciated, I've never done this before but would be interested to try, could be lots of fun.

Last edited:
sorry never seen your post. i know tandy leathers carries some stuff or try ebay for skins. they really shouldnt be that much for 1 shoe maybe $100+ just make sure to post pics

Reactions: alp
have you ever tried something like this? I don't really know how to add the skin so it doesn't fall off or look horrible. I don't want to waste the skin

also, just checked out the site you suggested, it is a decent site with reasonable prices. a pyshical(I know I spelt that wrong) store in ny would be ideal so I can explain them my project and get exactly what I need

Last edited:
I think I might skip this for now, seems a little too complicated. Have some great ideas but have no clue on how to tear apart a sneaker and rebuild it with python. Its very hard to find helpful videos, tutorials on the internet for this. JBF customs must have his process on lock :lol:

grin.gif

I think I might skip this for now, seems a little too complicated. Have some great ideas but have no clue on how to tear apart a sneaker and rebuild it with python. Its very hard to find helpful videos, tutorials on the internet for this. JBF customs must have his process on lock :lol:
well 1stly your gonna want a industrial ewing machine and then just tear apart a old shoe 1st to see construction then cut your patterns from it and sew it back together.

Reactions: alp
Just checked, those machines cost a rack. Might try and ask some ppl I know if any of em have a sewing machine good enough for my project. Now that I've thought this idea over I've realized it's way more complicated than I initially thought it would be. There's another cutsomizer who doesnt tear apart the shoe and just puts the exotic skin on top of the existing material. I think it's cmb kicks in new jersey. It doesnt look as good but probably considerably easy to do compared to jbf. Thanks for all your help jayzrdead, I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Just checked, those machines cost a rack. Might try and ask some ppl I know if any of em have a sewing machine good enough for my project. Now that I've thought this idea over I've realized it's way more complicated than I initially thought it would be. There's another cutsomizer who doesnt tear apart the shoe and just puts the exotic skin on top of the existing material. I think it's cmb kicks in new jersey. It doesnt look as good but probably considerably easy to do compared to jbf. Thanks for all your help jayzrdead, I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.
no doubt but i personally wouldnt put the material over another just wont come out great and im sure you can find a machine used or buy a really good home sewing machine and/or a seamstress to do it for you.

Even if I buy the machine it's still complicated to do. Idont really know how to add the python on the shoe regardless

in my book, these are two completely different customizations:
jbf customs
View media item 522704
cmb kicks
View media item 522703

the jbf dude completely rebuilds the shoe with the snakeskin while cmb simply puts it on top of the existing design. While the cmb doesn't look bad(saw it in person, kinda gave me the idea) its nowhere near what jbf is doing. Two completely different leagues. Id like to make thinds along the lines of jbf but realistically I would need a lot of practice. Cmb dude is a little more realistic for an amateur like me, but it limits the options I have because on most kicks that would look out of place. Before I buy a new or used sewing machine ill ask around(neighbors etc.) to see if they have anything to cater to my needs. Jaysrdead, did u ever attempt this type of project yourself? Any other NTers who have knowledge on this subject can feel free to chime in, thanks!

in my book, these are two completely different customizations:
jbf customs
View media item 522704
cmb kicks
View media item 522703

the jbf dude completely rebuilds the shoe with the snakeskin while cmb simply puts it on top of the existing design. While the cmb doesn't look bad(saw it in person, kinda gave me the idea) its nowhere near what jbf is doing. Two completely different leagues. Id like to make thinds along the lines of jbf but realistically I would need a lot of practice. Cmb dude is a little more realistic for an amateur like me, but it limits the options I have because on most kicks that would look out of place. Before I buy a new or used sewing machine ill ask around(neighbors etc.) to see if they have anything to cater to my needs. Jaysrdead, did u ever attempt this type of project yourself? Any other NTers who have knowledge on this subject can feel free to chime in, thanks!
No real projects like that but I have some sewing and apparel background. I think the thickness of the material is what you will have to deal with,with a home sewing machine. But sewing the plastic pieces back to the uppers will be difficult.

Yea if I choose to do this I need to plan it really well, have the right equipment and be really careful. One mistake could **** the whole thing up.

Yea if I choose to do this I need to plan it really well, have the right equipment and be really careful. One mistake could **** the whole thing up.
pretty much but i think you would be alright just measure twice cut once kind of thing

I have better ideas, but ill probably start on a white on white af1 because its a simple design. If I mess up it wont be the end of the world. I might even give painting sneakers a try so I can dive into customization before I try to tackle the difficult project I want to. Btw, sites like mache customs or even these snakeskin guys, they take like three months to do a job, do these things really take that long or do they take forever purposely to have leisure time?

I have better ideas, but ill probably start on a white on white af1 because its a simple design. If I mess up it wont be the end of the world. I might even give painting sneakers a try so I can dive into customization before I try to tackle the difficult project I want to. Btw, sites like mache customs or even these snakeskin guys, they take like three months to do a job, do these things really take that long or do they take forever purposely to have leisure time?
of course it doesnt i just think it buys them time to source the materials and get the job done. plus you never know whos doing all the work and these people might have day jobs as well.

so I was reading a guide on sneaker customization and it very briefly mentioned "engraving gator skin". in reference to this it said:

Q: How do people engrave on shoes, such as add gator skin?
A: Woodburing Pen or Soldering Iron. These are widely available online or in arts or crafts stores. Please check eBay, as I bought mine off of there.

I know what engraving is, but how does that apply to what I am trying to do? I got this off the "other" site.

Can I add python without buying a sewing machine(not to do jbf type customs, u need a hell of a lot of materials to even attempt that one lol)?

Last edited:
so I was reading a guide on sneaker customization and it very briefly mentioned "engraving gator skin". in reference to this it said:

Q: How do people engrave on shoes, such as add gator skin?
A: Woodburing Pen or Soldering Iron. These are widely available online or in arts or crafts stores. Please check eBay, as I bought mine off of there.

I know what engraving is, but how does that apply to what I am trying to do? I got this off the "other" site.

Can I add python without buying a sewing machine(not to do jbf type customs, u need a hell of a lot of materials to even attempt that one lol)?
engraving wouldnt be what you want, you would have to manually etch the print into the leather on the shoe it would never look a %100 and would take hours if done correctly. only way to add python would be a very strong glue but even then it wouldnt be the most durable and just think where the upper meets with the midsole it would just look cut out.

engraving wouldnt be what you want, you would have to manually etch the print into the leather on the shoe it would never look a %100 and would take hours if done correctly. only way to add python would be a very strong glue but even then it wouldnt be the most durable and just think where the upper meets with the midsole it would just look cut out.
yeah just talked to my moms about this. She basically told me everything you said lol. She also talked about the sewing machines and told me I need very good industrial strength one to get the job done. Not just any industrial strength one will suffice in her opinion. One the bright side, I started customizing my af1's. Didn't have angelus paint and am not really doing it that carefully so wont be perfect. Oh well, used a pair of beaters anyway. Don't even know if I should post pics when I finish how plain they are(probably will anyway :lol:)

hey anyone keeps updated on this? Trying to know if you ever tried deconstructing and reconstructing it back

hey anyone keeps updated on this? Trying to know if you ever tried deconstructing and reconstructing it back
nope never tried. Have no knowledge onhow to so and also lack proper equipment

I am going to try and make a desctruction and reconstruction with an old pair of air force 1s i have gonna try an all black suede upper for the first time ever doing a customizing project. My grandma used to work at a sneaker factory and she has a domestic sewing machine that I have seen and it will work really great I will just do the whole sewing procces in front of her so she can guide me in the right direction. I will let you know how it ends up lol

After reading this thread, I had decided to dive right in and take apart a pair of 2012 beater Bred 4s. You learn a lot about how the shoes are made, especially when figuring out what was stitched first, and what was stitched last.

I plan to do something similar, but my supplies have not arrived yet so I'm just observing the pieces for now. My biggest concern is the toe box and heel tabs. I might have to hand stitch them since I don't have the access to a shoe-patcher-machine-thing...

View media item 1567645View media item 1567618View media item 1567646

Back
Top Bottom