Cal-Berkeley Cuts Five Athletic Programs

This sucks big time. Crazy that they can't get any help with this.

On another note, didn't California JUST finish building a half billion dollar school or am I tripping?

This sucks big time. Crazy that they can't get any help with this.

On another note, didn't California JUST finish building a half billion dollar school or am I tripping?

Sucks for them I'd hate to be in that position. This makes it all the more hilarious to me that numerous people on here have talked about how schools should be paying football and bball players because the schools cake off those guys.

Sucks for them I'd hate to be in that position. This makes it all the more hilarious to me that numerous people on here have talked about how schools should be paying football and bball players because the schools cake off those guys.

Originally Posted by trey ohh five

Solution: Go to a private school.
How is that a solution? For athletes maybe but even they cut athletic programs. Hofstra just nixed their entire football program. Northeastern did the same last year as well.

Think before you type.

This makes it all the more hilarious to me that numerous people on here have talked about how schools should be paying football and bball players because the schools cake off those guys.
Schools do cake off of players. They make millions of merchandising and tv contracts. However, not every school is broke like Cal-Berkeley. This move is saving the school $4 million/yr. They just fired 200 members of the faculty. They are going to do whatever possible to make and save money ie. accepting more out of state students like Michigan does.

How is that a solution? For athletes maybe but even they cut athletic programs. Hofstra just nixed their entire football program. Northeastern did the same last year as well.

Think before you type.

This makes it all the more hilarious to me that numerous people on here have talked about how schools should be paying football and bball players because the schools cake off those guys.
Schools do cake off of players. They make millions of merchandising and tv contracts. However, not every school is broke like Cal-Berkeley. This move is saving the school $4 million/yr. They just fired 200 members of the faculty. They are going to do whatever possible to make and save money ie. accepting more out of state students like Michigan does.

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

Think before you type.

Apparently you missed the part of the article where only 14 of the the 120 division 1 schools made a profit from sports last year.  While players do bring in revenue for the school, that revenue is needed to run the programs they offer.  The players getting scholarships is plenty compensation for them, nothing can beat a free education.  You dudes act like these players are bringing in all this money and the schools are collecting millions of dollars of profit are crazy, take a step back and realize how much it takes to run these programs year in and year out and it is pretty easy to understand why only 14 of the 120 teams are making money on their athletics.  I think you have 65 scholarships for football alone, and with an average tuition lets say being 15k including room and board that is close to 1 million right there just for the scholarships for one sport.

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

Think before you type.

Apparently you missed the part of the article where only 14 of the the 120 division 1 schools made a profit from sports last year.  While players do bring in revenue for the school, that revenue is needed to run the programs they offer.  The players getting scholarships is plenty compensation for them, nothing can beat a free education.  You dudes act like these players are bringing in all this money and the schools are collecting millions of dollars of profit are crazy, take a step back and realize how much it takes to run these programs year in and year out and it is pretty easy to understand why only 14 of the 120 teams are making money on their athletics.  I think you have 65 scholarships for football alone, and with an average tuition lets say being 15k including room and board that is close to 1 million right there just for the scholarships for one sport.

I agree with the cuts. Why should academic endeavors be cut in favor of athletics. The role of a University is education first. Yes, athletics and physical education are part of a sound education. However the primary goal is still academics. Schools shouldn't keep programs around that lose money. Just like classes that don't have enough registration get canceled. 95% of the sports that have scholarship lose money. Only a few Universities make money off sports. I say go back to NCAA rules where only those who want to play sports play sports for the fun of it. Like division 1AA is.

Make it about school pride again and not about money. The commercialization of athletics in college have done nothing but caused problems anyway.

I agree with the cuts. Why should academic endeavors be cut in favor of athletics. The role of a University is education first. Yes, athletics and physical education are part of a sound education. However the primary goal is still academics. Schools shouldn't keep programs around that lose money. Just like classes that don't have enough registration get canceled. 95% of the sports that have scholarship lose money. Only a few Universities make money off sports. I say go back to NCAA rules where only those who want to play sports play sports for the fun of it. Like division 1AA is.

Make it about school pride again and not about money. The commercialization of athletics in college have done nothing but caused problems anyway.

Back
Top Bottom