California High-Speed Rail has been APPROVED - Vol. Westside When We Ride

Originally Posted by Nako XL

^ I always wondered what video your Kanye avy is from?

yeah idk either, I just found it on tumblr one day

this doesn't make any sense.  cali is broke, as is the country.
as someone already said, flying is quicker and probably be be cheaper

Bay2LA all day 
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by buggz05

Imagine the kind of boost in economy it will give to the cities with stops. I may never leave Cali if this pops off.
It will actually have an adverse affect on the central valley economies. Think about the highway system killing towns along Route 66. Why would people get off the train to shop in these towns? Is Bakersfield & Fresno really a place you would make a point to get off and explore?

For those for HSR, why is this a good thing? Why do we think it will work? Why not invest in autonomous hybrid electric cars with wifi that will pick you up and drop you off at your destination instead?

Just because Asia & Europe are decades ahead of us doesn't mean that it's a good thing.

This won't happen, either it gets voted down or they run out of funding halfway through construction

I see this as a huge waste of money also, 3 hours to the Ontario airport from SFO? when I can just fly there from Oakland in about one hour, no thanks

not sure how this passed... 68 billion lulz... prob wont be completed in some of our lifetimes

they must be planning to import workers from across the border?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by crcballer55

I'm looking forward to the November ballot when the voters get a mulligan to kill this after being lied to after being deceived for the past 4 years.

We all know it'll cost more than $68B and it won't deliver anywhere near what they have been promising. Why would someone be willing to pay more than $60 for a ticket from LA to SF that'll take 2.5 hrs. when you can make the same trip with a 1 hr. flight instead? Most people that will make that trip are business people and time is of the essence. Not to mention that with an expense account, even if the train is cheaper it won't matter.
You are aware that even with a 1 hr flight you still have get to the airport like an hr before the flight.

Maybe for the high level execs, the price of the train doesn't matter but for the regular peons(like you and me) they will be on that train if it saves the business money. 

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Originally Posted by MF Doomer

dope, but wasteful. 68 bill?! c'mon unemployment rates are staggering.
it would be a good source of jobs though right? construction and people to work on the train and everything once it's done. 

still a stupid waste of money though.

if it was a project concept from 1995 i'd consider it.

99% of the responses in this thread are cynical as Hell, damn are we jaded and beyond a negative bunch. I advise most of you to read the link that Hank Moody posted and check the comments. 

Portland - Seattle - Vancouver needs this. Getting to Portland or Vancouver in an hour 
eek.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by crcballer55

I'm looking forward to the November ballot when the voters get a mulligan to kill this after being lied to after being deceived for the past 4 years.

We all know it'll cost more than $68B and it won't deliver anywhere near what they have been promising. Why would someone be willing to pay more than $60 for a ticket from LA to SF that'll take 2.5 hrs. when you can make the same trip with a 1 hr. flight instead? Most people that will make that trip are business people and time is of the essence. Not to mention that with an expense account, even if the train is cheaper it won't matter.
You are aware that even with a 1 hr flight you still have get to the airport like an hr before the flight.

Maybe for the high level execs, the price of the train doesn't matter but for the regular peons(like you and me) they will be on that train if it saves the business money. 

I fly to NorCal at least once a year and at most, it's 2 1/2 hrs. door-to-door for about $180. Considering the projected cost of this project will be almost $17,000 for EVERY Californian I hardly see how it will ever be an affordable option. Now, we must also factor in that most public works projects come in over twice the projection. We must also realize that we are financing this project over a 30 year term through public works bonds which will also double the cost of whatever the eventual project itself will cost.

We should ask ourselves, despite the grand dreams and desires we have in this project, is this really the best way we could allocate $150B of our money? If this is such a noble project, why not offer tax breaks to any company willing to build the infrastructure necessary to make this happen? Isn't that how toll roads work?

Originally Posted by toughmoney

California sure has a lot of money or appear to anyway.
we dont give a !%!% boi..
pimp.gif

these budget cuts are messed up tho
tired.gif

funding would be better placed into other alternative energy ventures that already exist rather than to jump start a completely new transportation system that will take years to balance properly.

Having used trains to travel between LA and the Bay Area multiple times, I would love to see an improvement in it's efficiency. I left LA for Oakland and it took ten hours (including an hour long delay near the beginning of the trip). For those of us who aren't from California, you could fly from LA to the Bay Area in around an hour, and drive that same distance in six (I've made it in five, personally). Other than time, it's not bad at all; WiFi access (though you can't watch videos and the speeds vary depending on where you are), outlets to plug in your laptop/cell phone, a food compartment where you can buy snacks whenever you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom