calling all UVA niketalkers

I think I got the answer to my previous question, but my new topic limit has already been met and I have another question so here goes.

I was accepted to UVA conditionally.

According to my mom, who read the letter from UVA and threw it away
mad.gif
I can complete 1 year's credits and then I can transfer to UVA.

UVA niketalkers, what do you guys think?

should I pursue this at all?

I'm out of state btw, so my tuition costs would be 32 g's when I got there.
frown.gif

I applied for biology becuase I want to do pre-med. (but i'm considering changing my major to sociology and then taking Pre-med elective classes)

nerd.gif

UVA niketalkers tell me some of the pros/cons of ur school.

Recession=more people out of work/trying to get a better education + budget cuts + fewer classes available.

It takes usually around 2-3 years to transfer to a 4 year college, depending on your major.  I remember talking to one of my close friends who went to Las Positas College and transferred to UC Berkeley after 3 years.  He said the main thing they look for in transfers are GPA and how many pre-reqs are completed.  There isn't a time limit on transferring though.  I know some dudes who have been at CC for over 5 years who are just transferring
laugh.gif
smh.gif

What I did was apply to more than 1 community colleges like 1 with online classes and other with in class meetings so I keep up with the graduation/transfer schedule.

Originally Posted by General Johnson

Recession=more people out of work/trying to get a better education + budget cuts + fewer classes available.

Even before the recession, the CC around my area are over-populated. It used to take forever to get into an english or math class. The 1st day of class there would be 30 people trying to add. Or you'd have 1 class at 7 am and another at 4 pm just to make sure you got 2 classes

I should've made this clearer, but what I'm asking is

Is it so packed in California community colleges right now that I will not be able to graduate in two years no matter how proactive I am about meeting pre-req's.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Originally Posted by General Johnson

Even before the recession, the CC around my area are over-populated. It used to take forever to get into an english or math class. The 1st day of class there would be 30 people trying to add. Or you'd have 1 class at 7 am and another at 4 pm just to make sure you got 2 classes
are u in socal or norcali?

Where im from they have a shortage of classes(Bay Area). Depends on how many classes you are taking to determine how long your going to be at a CC. People usually stay at a CC from 2-3 years to transfer to a 4 year.

The answer is no. If you are proactive in making sure you sign up for classes on the first day they are available then you should be fine.

Originally Posted by milkandcookies

I am currently thinking about taking the Junior college route to college, but I have heard that in california it may take more than two years to graduate from a C.C. because of funding cuts as well as an increase in # of students.

Is this true?

nerd.gif
classes are full...it will suck especially if its your first year. Most students who are already in UC's and Cal State schools come back and take GE classes because of the tuition increase.

Originally Posted by milkandcookies

Originally Posted by hella handsome

that sounds like it sucks to apply.
what???
i meant, the fact that it will take you more than 2 years to finish due to things that aren't because of your academics itself sounds like the school would suck to apply to. 
I tried CC before I went to the school im at now, and everyone graduated in the 2 years or didnt because of things that were their fault. not because of the school's issues. 

The real reason why I ask this question is because I basically got denied to all the schools I applied to

and my whole family is telling me that i NEED to appeal some of the UC decisions ASAP.

But I feel like such a pile of *$%# about getting denied that I can't even muster up the juice to write a letter of appeals (low self-esteem ftl)
I also don't really want to go to any of the schools that I got admitted to, I'd rather go to a CC and try to transfer to Cornell

And so I'm wondering if the community college route is even a viable option.
But I don't want to be doing my undergrad for more than 4 yrs bcuase eventually, I want to go to medical school.

milkandcookies wrote:
The real reason why I ask this question is because I basically got denied to all the schools I applied to

and my whole family is telling me that i NEED to appeal some of the UC decisions ASAP.

But I feel like such a pile of *$%# about getting denied that I can't even muster up the juice to write a letter of appeals (low self-esteem ftl)
I also don't really want to go to any of the schools that I got admitted to, I'd rather go to a CC and try to transfer to Cornell

And so I'm wondering if the community college route is even a viable option.
But I don't want to be doing my undergrad for more than 4 yrs bcuase eventually, I want to go to medical school.

The best advice I can give you before you make your next move is to contact the University you want to eventually transfer to. You are going to want to make an appointment with an academic adviser in the field you plan on graduating in. In this meeting you will be able to find out exactly what classes are applicable and transferable. A lot of young students are unaware that when they finally do transfer they aren't at credit wise where they thought they were. The academic adviser at the school you plan on attending will basically write out the classes you need to take semester by semester or quarter by quarter. This will give you not only the quickest route to the University you plan on transferring to, but you will be on pace with all 3rd year students once you get there.

dude just register to classes ASAP and you should be fine. Some people wait last minute and plus many more people are going to CC now so the last minute people are getting left out.

Originally Posted by OLD SCHOOL

The best advice I can give you before you make your next move is to contact the University you want to eventually transfer to. You are going to want to make an appointment with an academic adviser in the field you plan on graduating in. In this meeting you will be able to find out exactly what classes are applicable and transferable. A lot of young students are unaware that when they finally do transfer they aren't at credit wise where they thought they were. The academic adviser at the school you plan on attending will basically write out the classes you need to take semester by semester or quarter by quarter. This will give you not only the quickest route to the University you plan on transferring to, but you will be on pace with all 3rd year students once you get there.
Great advice

Originally Posted by EmnabtnacesoRJ

No. You can graduate as soon as just one year and transfer

No you cant. unless you took classes during your high school years. Theres NO possible way. For semester system you need 60 TRANSFERABLE units, for quarter you need 90.  For semester, say you take 8 units during your summer, 20 during fall, and 20 during spring, your 12 units short. And most UCs need all your transferable classes done before by spring semester. The quarter system you MIGHT be able to, but highly doubtful.

^ you forgot about intersession. plus most schools have at least 2 different summer sessions. you can easily do 60 units in a yr. this is only if you don't have to take remedial classes though. math/science major would be tough as well b/c of pre-reqs and labs

It's taking CSU's and UC's five years to graduate anyway, might as well go for it.

Back
Top Bottom